Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:20 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,852,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
I taught a little girl named Denim. Her middle name was Jean. Her parents were right out of Woodstock. Most people didn't know her middle name. I did because I had access to her records.
Oh poor girl. I knew a girl Named Sunny Day. Her last name was Day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 12:26 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,245,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Oh poor girl. I knew a girl Named Sunny Day. Her last name was Day.
At least they didn't name her rainy or cloudy.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:27 PM

992 posts, read 2,377,324 times
My neighbor is "Bunny" and yes, that is her given name.

My husband went to school with: Storm, Stormy, and Diznee.

yikes!

I like the names out of Jane Austen, too.

My daughter is Charlotte Elizabeth...what's wonderful is my husband came up with the name! Catherine is Catherine Grace. Colin is Colin Edward. Sadly, people think I'm saying "Cullen Edward" as in the vampire in Twilight. ugh. I had a teenage girl shriek when I called my son one day at the supermarket...I said, "Colin Edward, stop that!" and she FREAKED out...she panted "omigawd....I'm totally naming my son Cullen when I have a baby....did you name him after Twilight?" I had NO clue what she was talking about at the time. I know now. I'm sure we'll have a surge of Bellas, Edwards, Jacobs, Esmes, Cullens coming soon!

Old 10-07-2010, 12:37 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,725,276 times
There are always some androgynous names.

It seems to be that the "-en" and "-yn" sounding names have been pounded into the ground over the last few years.

Unlike other names which may have one or two spellings, there are many possible spellings of the same name which end up sounding the same. In other words, by replacing "en" with "yn" or "ynn", the name is really the same, but it looks much more "unique".

Some examples are:

Aaden, ashlynn, brayden, braydon, braden,braeden, jayden, jaiden, camden, camryn, caiden, kaden, kayden, kaiden, keegan, landen, peyton, payton, hayden, aiden, adan, brenden, jaelyn, jaylen, raegan, reagan, teagan, kamryn, caitlin, caitlyn, kaelyn, katelynn, katelyn, kieran, brooklynn, ashlyn, jordyn, and probably some others.

These names sounded pretty unique when they first started becoming popular. Now every time I see a family tumble out of a Toyota Sienna and mom & dad start calling for Jayden and Katelyn, I start hurlyn.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:48 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,758,170 times
Quote:
These names sounded pretty unique when they first started becoming popular. Now every time I see a family tumble out of a Toyota Sienna and mom & dad start calling for Jayden and Katelyn, I start hurlyn.
I start hurlyn...LMAO!

I wonder with this generation we are raising if they will start shortening names like text messages?

Thms
Klee
MKY
NKI
EMY
and so forth

Old 10-07-2010, 12:53 PM

13,609 posts, read 10,027,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
There are always some androgynous names.

It seems to be that the "-en" and "-yn" sounding names have been pounded into the ground over the last few years.

Unlike other names which may have one or two spellings, there are many possible spellings of the same name which end up sounding the same. In other words, by replacing "en" with "yn" or "ynn", the name is really the same, but it looks much more "unique".

Some examples are:

Aaden, ashlynn, brayden, braydon, braden,braeden, jayden, jaiden, camden, camryn, caiden, kaden, kayden, kaiden, keegan, landen, peyton, payton, hayden, aiden, adan, brenden, jaelyn, jaylen, raegan, reagan, teagan, kamryn, caitlin, caitlyn, kaelyn, katelynn, katelyn, kieran, brooklynn, ashlyn, jordyn, and probably some others.

Ha!

Old 10-07-2010, 01:50 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,809,943 times
My oldest son is a Ryan. I had never heard the name for a girl before and truly tried to stay away from the unisex names.

I absolutely love the name Ryan for a girl more than a boy now. I'm so ashamed.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:56 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,680,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
My neighbor is "Bunny" and yes, that is her given name.

My husband went to school with: Storm, Stormy, and Diznee.

yikes!

I like the names out of Jane Austen, too.

My daughter is Charlotte Elizabeth...what's wonderful is my husband came up with the name! Catherine is Catherine Grace. Colin is Colin Edward. Sadly, people think I'm saying "Cullen Edward" as in the vampire in Twilight. ugh. I had a teenage girl shriek when I called my son one day at the supermarket...I said, "Colin Edward, stop that!" and she FREAKED out...she panted "omigawd....I'm totally naming my son Cullen when I have a baby....did you name him after Twilight?" I had NO clue what she was talking about at the time. I know now. I'm sure we'll have a surge of Bellas, Edwards, Jacobs, Esmes, Cullens coming soon!
I was SO irritated when those books came out and used the name Esme.... my great aunt's name is Esme Jane and it was definitely on my list of girl's names (ya know, when and if the time comes ) but.... now not so much.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:07 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,761,535 times
My first AND last names are both so common it's a PITA. The company I work for actually has another person with my same name, same spelling working in the same building! After 9/11 my name began appearing on the terrorist watch list since it's so common, kept getting stuck going through "random" searches until some one at the airport clued me in. Now I travel using first, middle, last and mothers maiden. Barely fits on the ticket but it does the job! Haven't been randomly selected ever since

Hubby also has a fairly common name so when we named DS we definitely wanted something off the beaten path so he wouldn't be 1 of 4 in his class with the same name as was the case with us. Sadly, the name has become much more popular in the last few years so he may suffer the same fate after all

I don't really understand the animosity some people feel towards what other people chose to name their children, at the end of the day it's not like some one is naming YOU that so who cares? The one exception to that for me was when those id*ots named their kids Adolph Hilter and something else equally hateful.

Here's a fun website to see just how popular your/kids name really is:

Popular baby names

Old 10-07-2010, 03:23 PM

2,130 posts, read 4,525,437 times
I'm a girl, and my parents gave me a unisex name because my mom always loved the idea of a girl having a guy's name. She thought it was cool. I've always loved it, and if I want to be more feminine I can always use my full name which is female-only.

My mom wanted to steer clear of any "old-fashion" names because she hated her name (Debbie) with a passion. I personally don't like old-fashioned names either. It's surprising to see a name like Sophia on the Top 10 list. It just reminds me of The Golden Girls!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting