Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 10:34 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,529,513 times

Advertisements

Today's Question(s):

What was the last thing that got "Fried" in your home ?
(and I am not talking food lol ) We actually had lightning knock out one of the relays(?) that enable us to use the remote on the ceiling fan in the guest room... Nothing else in the house was damaged!

Bonus Question:

When you go to a fundraiser what items really get you "bidding" ?
Old toys are what I enjoy...

ok here is your chance to add your ideas for items I should try to get that will be popular !!! On a more practical note; gift cards. I'm kinda lost after that...

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time you :
Had a picnic ? Last summer
Were part of a fire drill? Several months ago at work
Took a chance ? Every night on the highway...

Today in History:
1900 - 1st know occurrence of word "hillbillie" (New York Journal)
1962 - 1st U.S. satellite to reach the moon launched
1977 - Dr. Allen Bussey completes 20,302 yo-yo loops
1985 - The Coca-Cola Company of Atlanta, GA, made a showy, glitzy announcement that it was changing its 99-year-old secret formula. New Coke was called “the most significant soft drink development” in the company’s history. Yeah, lol those of us that remember this know how well this went !!!

Word of the Day:
paladin \PAL-uh-din\, noun:
1. A champion of a cause.
2. A knight-errant; a distinguished champion of a medieval king or prince; as, the paladins of Charlemagne.

Today is:
National Picnic Day !!!!
National Cherry Cheesecake Day
Fire Drill Day
Home Run Day
International Sing Out Day
Talk like Shakespeare Day Was Shakespeare ever a pirate?
Take A Chance Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 10:37 AM

23,013 posts, read 34,372,809 times
The last thing fried in my house was my husbands computer I've never been to a fundraiser. I don't remember the last picnic, last fire drill was probably 40 years ago, last time I took a chance was about two months ago and it turned out wonderful.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:41 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,340 times
(and I am not talking food lol )
...well, not happy about this, but 25 prize Katarina roses got fried because I left them in the hydrating solution too long.
An expensive mistake that I will not repeat again!

Jewelry. There always seem to be some really cool gemstone bead items. Oh - I always bid on the bed & breakfast weekends!

ok here is your chance to add your ideas for items I should try to get that will be popular !!!
Well, someone hit me up to donate flowers - which I happily did! Brought in a lot of business. The bid item was a once-a-month local
delivery of flowers - 12 arrangements in all. Florists have a lot of "shrink": flowers that are going to wilt and fizzle before we can use
them...so nursing homes and charities benefit!

Had a picnic ?
Were part of a fire drill?
Took a chance ?
I have to think about all 3 of these! Do I not have a life or what??

Word of the Day:
2. A knight-errant; a distinguished champion of a medieval king or prince; as, the paladins of Charlemagne. COOL WORD!!

Today is:
National Picnic Day !!!!
Fire Drill Day
Home Run Day
International Sing Out Day - Remember Joanne Worley?
Talk like Shakespeare Day
Take A Chance Day

Old 04-23-2009, 11:10 AM

285 posts, read 616,128 times
Today's Question(s):

My dryer...last December...5 days before we sold the house...right in the middle of moving/packing...resulting in:

a very very bad moment of temper and many very very baaaaad words!

Bonus Question:

That's a tuff question to answer. It's different things at different times. At various fundraisers we've bought (as in "It's mine, you can't have it, I will raise you" bidding) antique wooden fish decoys, art - mostly ink sketches & photography or pottery - hunting & trapping gear, fishing gear, kitchen stuff, and every now & then...real girly stuff (spa pkgs, aromatherapy baskets).

ok here is your chance to add your ideas for items I should try to get that will be popular !!!

What Did You Do/Were You Doing When questions. Ex: when you got married, graduated, got drafted (I know we don't now but we damn sure DID), pissed off your boss, mother-in-law, SO, etc. When MLK/JFK was shot, Challenger exploded, election night....

Hobbies/Interests exchange...quilting, cooking, hunting, collecting, wife-swapping? (Really?)

Extra Credit Question:

Had a picnic ? Oct '08 beach camp-out
Were part of a fire drill? back in grade school?
Took a chance ? I got out of bed this morning Didn't I?

Today in History:

1900 - 1st know occurrence of word "hillbillie" (New York Journal)
Wrangell-St Elias glacier fields...where a couple of prospectors up on Bonanza Ridge stumbled on the richest copper deposit ever seen.
U. S. foresters arrive to conduct timber inspections (This was abigger deal than satellites...people's living's were involved...)
University of Alaska geologists have documented a major long-term increase in heat flux at Mt. Wrangell, an andesitic shield volcano with a summit caldera 6 km long, 4 km wide, and 1 km deep. Heat flux from a crater on the N side of the summit caldera rim has increased by an order of magnitude since the great earthquake of 1964...
1985 - The Coca-Cola Company of Atlanta, GA, made a showy, glitzy announcement that it was changing its 99-year-old secret formula. New Coke was called “the most significant soft drink development” in the company’s history. Yeah, lol those of us that remember this know how ell this went !!!
Largest King Salmon ever caught! 97 pounds & 4 ounces. That calls for something more than a Coke!

Word of the Day:
2. A knight-errant; a distinguished champion of a medieval king or prince; as, the paladins of Charlemagne.
Don Quixote, anyone? No? How about Dos Equis?

Today is:
National Picnic Day !!!! I'll pass, thank you....bit chilly yet.
National Cherry Cheesecake Day Does it hafta be cherry?
Fire Drill Day Nope. Nuhn-uh. Not me. No way. No how.
Home Run Day Who out there ever caught a ball at a game?
International Sing Out Day ??????
Talk like Shakespeare Day Thee taketh it too far!
Take A Chance Day EVERY day!!!!

P.S. I know who I wanna be when I grow up! Library has a sale table alla time...just grabbed a copy of Ask the Fruitcake Lady. I've caught her on Leno a few times but...OMG...she is wunnerful!!!!!

Old 04-23-2009, 11:37 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,346,772 times
Default Today's Question(s):

What was the last thing that got "Fried" in your home ? ...it was a ceiling fan, POP and that was the end.

Bonus Question:

When you go to a fundraiser what items really get you "bidding" ?...if there bidding off tools or fishing camping supplies I'm on it, other than that the wife takes over.

Extra Credit Question:

Had a picnic ? .................last year, we used to do it 4 or 5 times a year but everybody is a pooper now
Were part of a fire drill?....Last month at work
Took a chance ? ....Every day, my job has been on the line possible plant shut down sinse the first of last year, i was offered three jobs and turned them down taking the chance ours would make it, we just got a one year extention so it's worked so far.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:51 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Home Run Day - I love baseball. I have a baseball trivia question for those who love it too.

What major league baseball player played the game for over twenty years, hit a home run in his first time at bat - and never hit another one in his entire career?
Who was that Charley?

Old 04-23-2009, 12:21 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,629 times
Today's Question(s): [/u]

What was the last thing that got "Fried" in your home ? DH did something to the weedwacker last summer...and it was smokin!! Had to get a new one.

Bonus Question:

When you go to a fundraiser what items really get you "bidding" ? Spa packages or that type of things. DH likes small electronics such as portable DVD players.

Extra Credit Question:

Had a picnic ? Last month but it was on the kitchen floor--part of a homework assignment for DS.

Were part of a fire drill? Last year at work, a office on the 4th floor was being built and the construction guys caused a fire--not sure what they did, but we all had to leave. Boy, our patients were NOT happy!
Took a chance ? Every day is a chance!

Old 04-23-2009, 12:58 PM

2,046 posts, read 919,382 times
I'm glad I found this thread - it's so much fun and all of you seem great! Also, I'm loving the graphics today!

Today's Question(s):

Got "Fried" in your home?
My son's XBox 360 breaks all the time and this is getting old (that company needs to make a better console).

Really get you "bidding"?
Gift baskets (food or items that pamper me!), plane tickets, trips (weekend getaway or longer), restaurant visits, jewelry

Had a picnic?
It's been a long time - that sounds like a GREAT idea!

Ten or so years ago my husband, eldest daughter and myself were in RI for a huge cross country meet. The hotel was crawling with kids and at 2 a.m. one of them decided to pull the fire alarm. EVERYONE had to evacuate the hotel! It was about 18 degrees with some snow on the ground and we were all out there - sleepy and in our pj's. Kids.

Took a chance?
Last year my youngest daughter got scammed by one of those magazine companies that offer free subscriptions but then send you a bill ($700) for (7) magazines you didn't order and tell you that you can't cancel. She didn't even agree to the "free" ones so I did research and sent them a 3 page letter (as her) refusing to pay, telling them what I would do if they kept bothering me, gave them the legal reasons why I COULD cancel the order and listed all the fraudulent ways they were running their business. I took a chance that they'd back off (and not try to sue her) and it worked (my info was valid)! She never paid a penny and they're sending the magazines anyway. Sorry for the long post but now that you know, if any of you ever have this problem, DM me and I can give you all the "facts" you need to get them off your back!

Today in History:

Whew!

1985 - New Coke
That was HORRIBLE!

Today is:

J. Annette's in West Chester, Ohio makes WONDERFUL cheesecakes! I miss them...

Fire Drill Day
NO THANKS!

International Sing Out Day
I wish I could sing well. Sighhhh...

Talk like Shakespeare Day
To post, or not to post: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to post
The slings and arrows of outrageous opinion,
Or to take arms against a sea of meanness,
And by opposing end them? To rest: to rest

Huh?

Old 04-23-2009, 01:10 PM

24,450 posts, read 25,984,086 times
the hard rive in my puter.

Bonus Question:

I leave that up to the Super Chief.

Extra Credit Question:

Had a picnic ?
So long ago I forgot.

A few years ago at work.

Took a chance ?
When I bought my last lottery ticket.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:17 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,041,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Who was that Charley?
The answer was sent to bjh privately so that if anyone else was still trying to think about it, I wouldn't ruin it for anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics