Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 08:24 PM

37,862 posts, read 41,261,575 times

Advertisements

TEN QUESTIONS

1) How many pages of posts is your tolerance for jumping into an ongoing City Data thread?

2) What would make you turn down a non-alcoholic drink that you've never heard of or tried before?

3) Covid 19 is a terrible scourge. Definition of scourge: A cause of wide or great affliction. When you say “scourge” does it rhyme with George or urge?

4) What were you attending, watching and/or listening to the last time you clapped?

5) Your opinion: If you live in the USA, what 3 things is your state most known for? If you live in Canada, what 3 things is your province most known for? If you live anyplace other than the USA or Canada, what 3 things is your country most known for?

6) Which one of the following activities have changed the most for you since you were a teen? If you still are a teen, feel free to skip this question.

The amount of time I spend listening to music.
The amount of time I spend reading.
The amount of time I spend watching TV shows.
The amount of time I spend watching (not playing) sports in person and on TV.
The amount of time I spend watching movies at home and in the theater.
The amount of time I spend playing any kind of games.
The amount of time I spend arguing.
The amount of time I spend shopping for clothes.

7) List your All-Time 10 Favorite Songs OR TV Shows. (Note: I know you could change your mind tomorrow because I do.)

8) Was it harder for you to come up with enough songs/TV shows to list 10 All-Time Favorites or was it harder for you to whittle your list down to just 10 favorites?

Give us a YouTube video of one song or TV show clip on your list if you have the time to do it.

9) What is your favorite subject for a QOTD question?

10) Recommend anything to us.

Starling on a barn roof.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 09:13 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,206,798 times
TEN QUESTIONS

1) How many pages of posts is your tolerance for jumping into an ongoing City Data thread?
Page count has never been a consideration. Far as I recall.
2) What would make you turn down a non-alcoholic drink that you've never heard of or tried before?
No more tequila for me .....ever.

3) Covid 19 is a terrible scourge. Definition of scourge: A cause of wide or great affliction. When you say “scourge” does it rhyme with George or urge?
Urge.
4) What were you attending, watching and/or listening to the last time you clapped?
Youtube.

5) Your opinion: If you live in the USA, what 3 things is your state most known for? If you live in Canada, what 3 things is your province most known for? If you live anyplace other than the USA or Canada, what 3 things is your country most known for?

1. The Alamo and Spanish missions
2. Wide open borders
3. Everything is bigger here.

6) Which one of the following activities have changed the most for you since you were a teen? If you still are a teen, feel free to skip this question.

7) List your All-Time 10 Favorite Songs OR TV Shows. (Note: I know you could change your mind tomorrow because I do.)
1. Eagles~Take it easy
2.Neil Young~Old Man
3.Neil Young~Heart of Gold
4. Ten Years After~ I'd Love to Change the World
5. America~Horse With No Name
6. Elton John~Rocket man
7. Steppenwolf~Magic Carpet ride
8.Steppenwolf~Born to be Wild
9. Stones~Honky Tonk Women
10.Carly Simon~You're So Vain

* (subject to change often)
8) Was it harder for you to come up with enough songs/TV shows to list 10 All-Time Favorites or was it harder for you to whittle your list down to just 10 favorites?
Harder for ten fav songs. Too many to choose from.
Give us a YouTube video of one song or TV show clip on your list if you have the time to do it.

Music probably.
Wear a mask when outdoors around others.

Starling on a barn roof.

Got a family of Starlings in my tree and at my feeders.

Thanks for the Q's Laura!

Last edited by SATX56; 05-22-2020 at 10:32 PM..

Old 05-22-2020, 09:33 PM

126,522 posts, read 19,268,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
TEN QUESTIONS

........maybe 2 or 3

........a school concert

1. Natural diversity
2.Niagara Falls
3.great wine region

The amount of time I spend watching TV shows.............
The amount of time I spend watching movies at home and in the theatre......

.......N/A

........N/A

.........Nature, Memories, Childhood memories,Pet stories,Food,Traditions,Sports,Dreams, Future plans,Food/Cooking/Baking......

See above

Starling on a barn roof.

THANK YOU Laura

Old 05-22-2020, 09:47 PM

21,730 posts, read 8,867,054 times
TEN QUESTIONS

I don't have a set limit. It depends on how passionate I am about the issue under discussion. If I feel I have something important or helpful to say, I'll say it.
I might turn it down if it is extremely high in calories, sugar and fat or otherwise unhealthy in some way, like those Starbucks coffee concoctions.

George, but I'm not sure which is correct. Now that you mention it, I'm going to look it up. [Later] It looks like "scurge" is the preferred pronunciation, but the other is also acceptable.
Thursday evening. I was picking up food at our favorite Italian restaurant when Allie, one of our regular servers who's also a college student, told me that she has just graduated from San Francisco State. I jumped up and down, cried out "Congratulations!" and gave her a hand. She is an amazing young lady, and I know she has a great future ahead of her.

1. The film industry
2. The Golden Gate Bridge
3. Disneyland

The amount of time I spend watching TV shows. <--- More. I rarely watched TV as a teen.
The amount of time I spend watching movies at home and in the theater. <--- More, thanks to TCM.
The amount of time I spend playing any kind of games. <--- More, probably because of online games.
The amount of time I spend shopping for clothes. <--- More. I couldn't afford to buy clothes when I was a teen.

1. Classic Arts Showcase (TV)
2. Turner Classic Movies (TV)
3. American Experience (TV)
4. "Tell It Like It Is" (song)
5. "Take Five" (song)
6. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (song)
7. "Runaway" (song)
8. "Theme from a Summer Place" (song)
9. "Autumn Leaves" (song)
10. "Gimme Some Lovin'" (song)

TV - It was easy
Songs - It was hard

I have a psychological bent, so I like any questions that lead to stories about peoples' lives or insights into why they feel the way they do.
Dave's Killer Bread

Thanks, LauraC!

Old 05-22-2020, 10:48 PM

44,467 posts, read 20,252,965 times
TEN QUESTIONS

1) How many pages of posts is your tolerance for jumping into an ongoing City Data thread? The length of a thread doesn't matter to me. If the topic catches my interest, I'll follow it.

2) What would make you turn down a non-alcoholic drink that you've never heard of or tried before? If it was peach- or melon-flavored. I don't like either of those flavors in a beverage.

3) Covid 19 is a terrible scourge. Definition of scourge: A cause of wide or great affliction. When you say “scourge” does it rhyme with George or urge? Urge.

4) What were you attending, watching and/or listening to the last time you clapped? A comedy show at a club, the weekend before everything started shutting down in March. The show was a riot.

1. Indianapolis 500 Auto Race
2. Indiana Dunes at the south shore of Lake Michigan
3. Hoosiers

The amount of time I spend watching TV shows. <<< This one.

1. Song: Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
2. Song: Hallelujah! - from Handel's Messiah
3. TV: M*A*S*H
4. TV: Downton Abbey
5. Song: Nights In White Satin - Moody Blues
6. Song: O Mio Babbino Caro - Puccini
7. Song: Toccata and Fugue In D Minor - J. S. Bach
8. TV: The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson
9. TV: NOVA
10. TV: Nature

8) Was it harder for you to come up with enough songs/TV shows to list 10 All-Time Favorites or was it harder for you to whittle your list down to just 10 favorites? Harder to whittle down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho9rZjlsyYY

9) What is your favorite subject for a QOTD question? No particular favorite.

10) Recommend anything to us. Puffs facial tissues.

Starling on a barn roof. Great pic. Thanks for the Q's, LauraC!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-22-2020 at 11:06 PM..

Old 05-23-2020, 02:04 AM

44,753 posts, read 62,104,060 times
TEN QUESTIONS

1) How many pages of posts is your tolerance for jumping into an ongoing City Data thread? Doesn't matter, it's the subject matter that counts.

2) What would make you turn down a non-alcoholic drink that you've never heard of or tried before? Anything that sounds nasty, like snake oil bacon chocolate soda.

3) Covid 19 is a terrible scourge. Definition of scourge: A cause of wide or great affliction. When you say “scourge” does it rhyme with George or urge? Urge

4) What were you attending, watching and/or listening to the last time you clapped? When I was at the doctors office and got a penicillin shot, it was a standing ovation.

1. Grand Canyon
2. Stately Saguaro Cacti
3. Sedona's Red Rock Beauty

1. Andy Griffith Show
2. Perry Mason
3. Hogan's Hero's
4. Johnny Carson Tonight Show
5. Jack Benny Show
6. Red Skelton Show
7. Seinfeld
8. Alfred Hitchcock
9. Jackie Gleason Honeymooners
10. Everybody Loves Raymond

8) Was it harder for you to come up with enough songs/TV shows to list 10 All-Time Favorites or was it harder for you to whittle your list down to just 10 favorites? I have about a 1000 song favorites, mostly Big Band and oldies rock & roll, too hard to make a short list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgdufzXvjqw

9) What is your favorite subject for a QOTD question? It doesn't matter, I like a variety of questions.

10) Recommend anything to us. Keep practicing social distancing.

Starling on a barn roof. Nice photo

Old 05-23-2020, 04:49 AM

4,054 posts, read 2,928,379 times
1) How many pages of posts is your tolerance for jumping into an ongoing City Data thread? === It depends on the topic. One of my Book threads has thousands of pages but I check it regularly and usually only have to read the last page. Others maybe two pages max.

2) What would make you turn down a non-alcoholic drink that you've never heard of or tried before? === I don't like any drink with orange or strawberry.

3) Covid 19 is a terrible scourge. Definition of scourge: A cause of wide or great affliction. When you say “scourge” does it rhyme with George or urge? === Urge.

4) What were you attending, watching and/or listening to the last time you clapped? === A Sarah McLachlan concert in February of this year.

1. Las Vegas/gambling
2. Silver mines
3. Entertainment

The amount of time I spend watching movies at home and in the theater. <----------------

1. MASH
2. Newsroom
3. Antiques Roadshow
4. Downton Abbey
5. The Crown
6. Grace and Frankie
7. As Time Goes By
8. West Wing
9. News Hour
10. NCIS

8) Was it harder for you to come up with enough songs/TV shows to list 10 All-Time Favorites or was it harder for you to whittle your list down to just 10 favorites? === Probably coming up with enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2cSn8kCUgA

9) What is your favorite subject for a QOTD question? === Travel

10) Recommend anything to us. === Monument Valley is awe-inspiring!

Starling on a barn roof. === Great photo Laura!

Thanks!

Old 05-23-2020, 05:12 AM

11,446 posts, read 9,393,489 times
TEN QUESTIONS

1) How many pages of posts is your tolerance for jumping into an ongoing City Data thread? - It doesn't matter as I do not post much elsewhere on this board anymore.

2) What would make you turn down a non-alcoholic drink that you've never heard of or tried before? - Caffeine is a deal breaker..

3) Covid 19 is a terrible scourge. Definition of scourge: A cause of wide or great affliction. When you say “scourge” does it rhyme with George or urge? - Never used this word before/

4) What were you attending, watching and/or listening to the last time you clapped? - Something on TYT (an internet news channel).

1. Crabs
2. Ocean City
3. Chesapeake Bay
Home of the Preakness (On October 3 this year, with or without fans).

- Thanks to a lousy father.

1. Real Time With Bill Maher (old format before Covid-19)
2. 6 PM (Eastern time) live news hour from TYT and lots of their other programming (can be seen on YouTube).
3. Morning Joe
4. The Tonight Show With Jay Leno
5. All In The Family
6. Andy Griffith Show
7. Gomer Pyle USMC
8. McHale's Navy
9. Password
10. Rock 'n Roll Jeopardy

8) Was it harder for you to come up with enough songs/TV shows to list 10 All-Time Favorites or was it harder for you to whittle your list down to just 10 favorites? - Songs would have been too hard to get down to 10.

Give us a YouTube video of one song or TV show clip on your list if you have the time to do it. - Well, they are the first 3 words I mentioned in this post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fkz5tckOMk

9) What is your favorite subject for a QOTD question? - Music questions.

10) Recommend anything to us. - IDK, a bunch of stuff going through my head right now.

I have an appointment to give a blood donation in a few hours...

Be kind to others. We're all going to die soon...

Thanks, Laura!

Old 05-23-2020, 07:42 AM

2,299 posts, read 1,446,340 times

It depends on the topic. I rarely post anymore but right here. I don't really read the rest of the forum much anymore.

Containing milk is an instant turn down. Especially dairy milk. I might be more open to something with almond milk but even the thought of that makes me want to gag.

I say it both ways.

Not sure.

1. Size
2. Heat
3. The Alamo

Same as then.

More now.

Less now.

Never been too much of a sports fan.

Less these days on the last four.

1. Tie between Lost and Downton Abbey (TV show)

2. King of the Hill (TV show)

3. Helena Beat - Foster the People (song)

4. Love Takes Time - Mariah Carey (song)

5. Too Long/Steam Machine - Daft Punk (song)

6. Go! - M83 (song)

7. A Song For You - The Carpenters (song)

8. Everybody Wants To Rule the World - Tears For Fears (song)

9. The Twilight Zone (the original) (TV show)

10. Stranger Things (TV show)

Listed what came to mind, but it can change.

6. Lucky from King of the Hill (voiced by Tom Petty) in my opinion is the funniest animated character ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcLbHUBoDpI

6. I'm not sure.

Making your own hummus. I did it for the first time recently and now I'm hooked. So much better than store bought and cheaper too.

My recipe (I don't measure things):

Garbanzo beans (chick peas). If they're canned make sure you warm them first. If they're cold you won't get a smooth texture.

Tahini sauce

Jalapenos from a jar. Use some of the liquid as well.

Fresh garlic, pressed.

Cilantro

Olive oil

Blend together. So easy and delicious.

I want to experiment with a dessert version. I'm thinking the garbanzos with peanut butter instead of tahini and cocoa powder and chocolate chips in place of the other stuff. It can't be bad. It would make a nice fruit dip.

Old 05-23-2020, 08:02 AM

30,915 posts, read 16,512,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
TEN QUESTIONS

maybe 2. I never read long ones with no paragraphs.

not much except the person offering it.

I don't know as I've ever said it or actually heard it said.

can't remember.

1. Philly cheese steak
2. football I think
3. Chocolate!

The amount of time I spend arguing.<<<<<<<this. Helps to be retired.

1. Violets of Dawn-Eric Anderson
2. Hotel California-Eagles

3. 4 strong winds-Ian and Sylvia
4. Wreck of the Edmund FitzGerald-Gordon Lightfoot
5. Sultans of Swing-Dire Straits
6. Yellow Brick Road -Elton John
7. Brand New Tennessee Waltz-Matthews Southern Comfort
8. I Will Always Love You-Linda Ronstadt
9. Gloria-Laura Brannigan
10. I Know You're Out There Somewhere-Moody Blues

didn't even try to think of tv shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhEJ_ZCZuqE

about anything-I'm nosy as all get out.

keep on keepin' on

Starling on a barn roof.

neat photo!
according to Bing, it's World Turtle Day so everyone hug your pet turtle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics