Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 06:09 AM

16,374 posts, read 10,558,037 times

Advertisements

Did you go to college or are you a graduate of the school of hard knocks?

Both

Tell us your story if you’d like.

I rarely tell this in person because it makes the person uncomfortable. But I'm not ashamed, I did nothing wrong. My mother took her life when I was a freshman and still living at home, dad was living out of the country (they had been divorced for many years). So at 18 I was thrown out into the world and completely unprepared. I no longer had a "home" to return to over holidays, this group house with various rotating roommates was my home.

Do you or anyone in your household know how to sew? Even a little bit?

Wife can sew, just a bit but it qualifies

Some sound worse than the condition itself but have you noticed the number
of possible horrible side effects of some of the new medications advertised on TV?

This info is required by the laws, I don't believe the "new" meds have any more side effects than the previous ones, they just not have to disclose every possible side effect even if rare.

Are you taking any medications that have possible side effects?

The most bizarre one I heard in an ad was "oily discharge". I had no interest in finding out just what that was. To answer the question no

Have you ever seen any famous, original artwork in person, such as the “Mona Lisa”
or “American Gothic”?

I'm sure I have but can't be specific.

Do you own any original art pieces, whether it’s from a local artist or a well-known artist?

Oh sure, a drawing from a local artist
Extra Credit:

Anyone here experience frequent heartburn or acid reflux?

No I'm lucky in that regard

If so, what do you use to treat it?

Do you shop any places that require you to bring your own bags to put
your items in?

In the next county they charge .10 so people bring their own. I don't bother as I don't now when I was going to shop down there.

Do you take selfies? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 06:44 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,875,625 times
Random Questions:

Did you go to college or are you a graduate of the school of hard knocks? 4 yr. college & then many classes through the years.
Tell us your story if you’d like. I loved my college years.

Do you or anyone in your household know how to sew? Even a little bit? I do know how to sew, but haven't had a sewing machine for many years.

of possible horrible side effects of some of the new medications advertised on TV? Have..... and will make no further comments.
Are you taking any medications that have possible side effects? Do & see an oncologist every few months to discuss.

Have you ever seen any famous, original artwork in person, such as the “Mona Lisa”
or “American Gothic”? Have seen "Whistler's Mother," gone to exhibits from Van Gogh & Renoir all at the Clark, Paintings by Maxfield Parrish...... and others.
Do you own any original art pieces, whether it’s from a local artist or a well-known artist? Only prints from well known artists, a few pieces from a friend who paints, and a couple sculptures from a local artist.

Extra Credit:

Anyone here experience frequent heartburn or acid reflux? Not frequent, thankfully.

your items in? Bread stores..... Now most places discourage using your reusable bags.

Do you take selfies? Why or why not? No. Why would I?

Would you rather:

Orange juice or Grapefruit juice? I don't drink juice any more. I used to like both orange and grapefruit.
Socks or slippers? Socks, though rather be barefoot.
Stairs or elevator? How many floors?
Carpet or hardwood floors? Hardwood, though I am looking for some area rugs.
Treadmill or stationary bike? Neither, thanks. I'd rather walk outside.
Sing or hum? Humming is best, given my voice.

Foodie Questions:

Big debate here – mayonnaise or Miracle Whip? If it’s mayo, what is
your favorite brand? This is a big debate in my family. I'm the only one who prefers Miracle Whip, so when with the family, I suffer.

How do prefer your chicken, steak and pork chops cooked? Of these, I only eat chicken and have many recipes.

Do you own any cookbooks? Many!
If so, how many do you have and do you use them? Too many to count. I really only use one.

Everyone be safe and have a great Wednesday Thanks, N/S!

Old 04-15-2020, 07:48 AM

7,421 posts, read 5,529,096 times
Welcome to the Questions of the Day for April 15, 2020. Let’s go!

Random Questions:

Did you go to college or are you a graduate of the school of hard knocks? Hard knocks.
Tell us your story if you’d like. I regret not going to college but I worked in health care all my life and learned a lot on the job.

Do you or anyone in your household know how to sew? Even a little bit? My mother sews everything you can imagine. I can sew a hem, sew up a hole and sew on a button but that’s it.

of possible horrible side effects of some of the new medications advertised on TV? They have to do that, it’s the law.
Are you taking any medications that have possible side effects? No

or “American Gothic”? No
Do you own any original art pieces, whether it’s from a local artist or a well-known artist? No

Extra Credit:

Anyone here experience frequent heartburn or acid reflux? No

your items in? No

Do you take selfies? Why or why not? No, I hate how I look in pictures.

Would you rather:

Orange juice or Grapefruit juice? Neither
Socks or slippers? Socks
Stairs or elevator? Elevator
Carpet or hardwood floors? Both
Treadmill or stationary bike? Treadmill
Sing or hum? Hum

Foodie Questions:

your favorite brand? Both. Hellman’s.

How do prefer your chicken, steak and pork chops cooked? White meat chicken only, done but not dry. Steak medium. Pork medium to well done but not dry.

Do you own any cookbooks? Yes
If so, how many do you have and do you use them? About five but I really don’t use them anymore.

Everyone be safe and have a great Wednesday

Old 04-15-2020, 08:44 AM

9,789 posts, read 14,362,079 times
Welcome to the Questions of the Day for April 15, 2020. Let’s go!
Random Questions:

Tell us your story if you’d like. I went to college with the intent of earning a teaching degree. Along the way, I started researching real estate investing, buying/renovating and selling properties purchased at sheriff sales, etc. So, I quit college, took a real estate course (which was harder than any college course I took) and earned my Realtors Designation. After 7-8 years of that, I advanced into another branch of real estate, and started my own company. Finally, I hit on what I was placed on this earth to do! Finally, I answer to nobody, have no boss, and make my own schedule. Life is good

Do you or anyone in your household know how to sew? Even a little bit? Yes, Daughter is a professional fashion designer. I taught her the basics in sewing when she was 7-8 years old, and she latched on to her dream!

of possible horrible side effects of some of the new medications advertised on TV? Yes, I hate those advertisements, and they go on MUTE!
Are you taking any medications that have possible side effects? Yes, but I don't worry about it.

or “American Gothic”? No
Do you own any original art pieces, whether it’s from a local artist or a well-known artist? No and No interest

Extra Credit:

If so, what do you use to treat it? MA

Do you shop any places that require you to bring your own bags to put your items in?
No. We're not permitted to bring our own bags in, because we've been told they carry germs into the stores. Store provides plastic bags, which we throw away when we get home.

Do you take selfies? Why or why not? If you mean photos ???? No. I don't.

Would you rather:

Orange juice or Grapefruit juice? Orange Juice
Socks or slippers? Socks
Stairs or elevator? Stairs...I run up and down ours 5-6 times/day.
Carpet or hardwood floors? Hardwood
Treadmill or stationary bike? Neither....walking through our little town
Sing or hum? Sing

Foodie Questions:

Big debate here – mayonnaise or Miracle Whip? MayoIf it’s mayo, what is
your favorite brand? Only Kraft

How do prefer your chicken, steak and pork chops cooked? Nothing red....chicken and steak well done. No pork chops here.

If so, how many do you have and do you use them? I have about 10, and they will be hitting the dumpster soon.

Everyone be safe and have a great Wednesday Thanks, NorthSouth! Great Questions!!!

Old 04-15-2020, 08:45 AM

12,896 posts, read 3,018,751 times
Random Questions:

Did you go to college or are you a graduate of the school of hard knocks? College

Do you or anyone in your household know how to sew? Even a little bit? Freakishly i can really well but i hate it

No

or “American Gothic”? Saw a rembrandt at dma

Do you own any original art pieces, whether it’s from a local artist or a well-known artist? Starving artists

Foodie Questions:
Don you own any cookbooks? Many

Old 04-15-2020, 08:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,925 posts, read 81,979,720 times
Random Questions:

Tell us your story if you’d like. Yes, BA, plus graduate school, but stopped short of the MA.

Do you or anyone in your household know how to sew? Even a little bit? Yes, in fact my wife would be considered an expert, has currently 4 machines.

of possible horrible side effects of some of the new medications advertised on TV? Yes, scary.
Are you taking any medications that have possible side effects? Yes, several, and have to monitor them closely.

or “American Gothic”? Not in person.
Do you own any original art pieces, whether it’s from a local artist or a well-known artist? Yes, by myself and other family members that are artists, none famous though we have sold our work.

Extra Credit:

If so, what do you use to treat it? Yes, Tums, or Pepcid.

your items in? Yes, all stores in one nearby city, though now due to COVID-19 they won't allow your own bags, so we are forced to pay the 5 cent paper bag fee.

Do you take selfies? Why or why not? No, because I'm not 14 years old.

Would you rather:

Orange juice or Grapefruit juice? Orange
Socks or slippers? Socks
Stairs or elevator? Elevators
Carpet or hardwood floors? Carpet
Treadmill or stationary bike? Stationary bike (though we have both)
Sing or hum? Hum

Foodie Questions:

your favorite brand? Mayo, has to be Best Foods.

How do prefer your chicken, steak and pork chops cooked? Chicken rotisserie, Steak grilled over fire, chops fried.

If so, how many do you have and do you use them? Probably a hundred. Used to use them often but now mostly use online recipes and prepare them using the phone or ipad.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:10 AM

8,878 posts, read 13,971,272 times
Good morning to all! Thanks for QOTD...

Random Questions:

I did one year of full time, community college, then finished the rest of my education (MBA) via nights and evening classes while working full time.

Do you or anyone in your household know how to sew? Even a little bit?
I think my wife does. But she also has a sewing machine she could never use well.

of possible horrible side effects of some of the new medications advertised on TV?
Why do they need to advertise medicine? I don't think I'll ever ask my doctor about XXX pills.

I would say all med's have side effects, so yes I must be taking some.

or “American Gothic”?
No I have not.

Do you own any original art pieces, whether it’s from a local artist or a well-known artist?
No we do not.

Extra Credit:

I had a condition diagnosed a few years back as something similar to reflux, but it seems to have passed. Haven't had anything like it since.

Do you shop any places that require you to bring your own bags to put your items in?
No

Do you take selfies? Why or why not?
No. Not my thing.

Would you rather:

Orange juice or Grapefruit juice? Either. Prefer orange, I guess.
Socks or slippers? Socks
Stairs or elevator? Elevator (for more than 2 floors only).
Carpet or hardwood floors? Carpet (I like to lay on the floor to pet/scratch the dogs)
Treadmill or stationary bike? Neither
Sing or hum? Sing (unless people can hear me.

Foodie Questions:

Big debate here – mayonnaise or Miracle Whip? If it’s mayo, what is your favorite brand?
Neither. I cannot do mayo or mayo like products.

How do prefer your chicken, steak and pork chops cooked?
Grilled or broiled

Do you own any cookbooks?
If so, how many do you have and do you use them?
We have a bunch. I use one in particular for my favorite dishes to cook. But I also look up recipes online and use them too.

That's it for me. Have a terrific day, everyone!

Old 04-15-2020, 09:11 AM

4,051 posts, read 2,923,198 times
Did you go to college or are you a graduate of the school of hard knocks? === I did.

Do you or anyone in your household know how to sew? Even a little bit? === I do.

Some sound worse than the condition itself but have you noticed the number of possible horrible side effects of some of the new medications advertised on TV? === I've noticed that some of the drug side effects sound worse than the disorder they treat.
Are you taking any medications that have possible side effects? === No.

Have you ever seen any famous, original artwork in person, such as the “Mona Lisa”or “American Gothic”? === I saw Mona Lisa in the Louvre and was surprised to see how small it was.
Do you own any original art pieces, whether it’s from a local artist or a well-known artist? === I do.

Anyone here experience frequent heartburn or acid reflux? === No.

Do you shop any places that require you to bring your own bags to put your items in? === No, but I have them for grocery shopping.

Do you take selfies? Why or why not? === Just for my identifier on a couple of sites.

Would you rather:

Orange juice or Grapefruit juice? === Orange
Socks or slippers? === Both
Stairs or elevator? === Depends
Carpet or hardwood floors? === Either
Treadmill or stationary bike? === Neither
Sing or hum? === Sing

Foodie Questions:

Big debate here – mayonnaise or Miracle Whip? If it’s mayo, what is your favorite brand? === I can't taste the difference.

How do prefer your chicken, steak and pork chops cooked? === Depends on the cut and thickness.

Do you own any cookbooks? === I do.
If so, how many do you have and do you use them? === I have about a dozen and only a couple that I use regularly.

Thanks for the questions!

Old 04-15-2020, 09:49 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,985,286 times
Random Questions:

Did you go to college or are you a graduate of the school of hard knocks? some college classes however the majority of my learning and skill came from a large number of technical training over the years.

Tell us your story if you’d like. Been there did that.

Do you or anyone in your household know how to sew? Even a little bit? I can sew and get by for the most part.

of possible horrible side effects of some of the new medications advertised on TV? I avoid any medications that are advertised on TV.

Are you taking any medications that have possible side effects? Yes but I'm not experiencing the side effects.

or “American Gothic”? Yes, over the years of visiting EU and many of the museums I've seen a lot of the famous works of art.

Do you own any original art pieces, whether it’s from a local artist or a well-known artist? Yes there are a couple of oil painting by an artist who lived in San Francisco. I don't know too much about him however we've had the art pieces for 38 years now. Also I have a number of other pieces that are local artists in the area.

Extra Credit:

your items in? No

Do you take selfies? Why or why not? No.

Would you rather:

Orange juice or Grapefruit juice? Orange
Socks or slippers? Socks
Stairs or elevator? elevator now a days
Carpet or hardwood floors? Hardwood
Treadmill or stationary bike?
Sing or hum?

Foodie Questions:

your favorite brand? Mayo

How do prefer your chicken, steak and pork chops cooked? steaks medium on the grill

Do you own any cookbooks? yes
If so, how many do you have and do you use them? LOL

Old 04-15-2020, 10:20 AM

100,197 posts, read 4,517,665 times
Random Questions:

Did you go to college or are you a graduate of the school of hard knocks? - College

Do you or anyone in your household know how to sew? Even a little bit? - Not even a little bit.

-Yes and the side effects would seem to negate any benefits of the medication.

Are you taking any medications that have possible side effects? - Yes I am.

or “American Gothic”? Yes, I saw the Mona Lisa when I visited the Louvre.

No.

Extra Credit:

Anyone here experience frequent heartburn or acid reflux? - No
your items in? - No. In fact, all of the grocery stores around here will not allow you to bring your own bags during the current health crisis.

Do you take selfies? Why or why not? - I took one as a joke to send to a friend.

Would you rather:

Orange juice or Grapefruit juice? - Orange juice
Socks or slippers? - Socks
Stairs or elevator? - Stairs
Carpet or hardwood floors? - Hardwood floors
Treadmill or stationary bike? - Stationary bike
Sing or hum? - Sing

Foodie Questions:

your favorite brand?
- Mayonnaise. No particular brand.

How do prefer your chicken, steak and pork chops cooked? - Baked chicken and pork chops. And occasional fried chicken.

Do you own any cookbooks?
If so, how many do you have and do you use them?
- Yes, but haven't used them in years. So many good recipes online.

Thanks, Northsouth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics