Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 05:44 AM

2,984 posts, read 3,372,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Texas can make it without the United States, The United States cannot make it without Texas.
1. Pull your droopy pants up. You look like an idiot.

2. Let's get this straight; it's called a "gravel road." I drive a pickup truck because I want to. No matter how slow you drive, you're going to get dust on your Lexus. Drive it or get out of the way.

3. They are cattle and oil wells. That's what they smell like to you. They smell like money to us. Get over it. Don't like it? I-20 and I-10 go east and west, I-35 goes north and south. Pick one.

4. So you have a $60,000 car. We're impressed. We have $250,000 cotton strippers that are driven only 3 weeks a year.

5. So every person in every pickup waves. It's called being friendly. Try to understand the concept.

6. If that cell phone rings while a bunch of doves are coming in, we WILL shoot it out of your hand. You better hope you don't have it up to your ear at the time.

7. Yeah, we eat catfish and crawfish. You really want sushi and caviar? It's available at the corner bait shop.

8. The "Opener" refers to the first day of deer season. It's a religious holiday held the closest Saturday to the first of November.

9. We open doors for women. That is applied to all women, regardless of age.

10. No, there's no "vegetarian special" on the menu. Order steak. Or you can order the Chef's Salad and pick off the 2 pounds of ham and turkey.

11. When we fill out a table, there are three main dishes: meats, vegetables, and breads. We use three spices: salt, pepper, and Picante Sauce! !Oh, yeah.... We don't care what you folks in Cincinnati call that stuff you eat... It AIN'T REAL CHILI!! Chili was born and bred in San Antonio .... and real chili never met a tomato!

12. You bring "coke" into my house, it better be brown, wet, and served over ice. You bring "Mary Jane" into my house, she better be cute, know how to shoot, drive a truck, and have long hair.

13. College and High School Football is as important here as the Lakers and the Knicks, and a dang site more fun to watch.

14. Yeah, we have golf courses. But don't hit the water hazards -- it spooks the fish.

15. Colleges? Try Texas Tech, Texas A-M or University of Texas They come outta there with an education plus a love for God and country, and they still wave at passing pickups when they come for the holidays.

16. We have more folks in the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines, than any other state, so "Don't Mess with Texas ," If you do, you will get whipped by the best.

17. Always remember what our great governor Sam Houston once said: "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 02:03 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,722,333 times
We got pretty much the same rules over on the Eastern shore of Maryland.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:32 PM

7,404 posts, read 19,416,897 times
Out of all the states I've lived in, Texas takes there state seriously. If you are a Texan, you are proud.
Rule #9 -Not everyone holds the door open for me but some people are jerks anyway.
Rule #6- Most people in Texas are more obsessed with there cell phones than they are with doves.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:35 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,914,999 times
Rules in Texas:

1. Respect your neighbor and everybody else (you'll get appreciated better and get better service when you are nice and friendly).

2. No, there's no vegetarian side of the menu (got to love your steaks to come to Texas).

3. Shorts and tank tops are a must (when it comes time to Bar-B-Que parties and such, just be comfortable. You'll be there ALLLLL day long. No need to get all dressed up).

4. As a Texas woman: you always carry some makeup on you in your purse (you never know what will be happening. You always try to look your best no matter what).

5. As a Texas woman: you always respect your man, no matter what his mood is (but as a born Texan, you know exactly what to do to make a man happy again).

6. Keep our highways and parks beautiful (DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS!! Please, don't litter).

7. Football is king in Texas (so please be a football fan when you visit).

8. Respect the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders (it's one of the hardest squads to join. And none are dumb bimbos!! Yes, they get quizzed on football history and how the game is played. And do a thorough background check on each lady. So, dumb bimbos, NEED NOT APPLY. Only intelligent, hard working, beautiful, talented, athletic women only).

9. Please don't drink and drive (Texas is very harsh when it comes to this. You may spend a year in jail on a 2nd DUI already).

10. Don't murder anyone (we believe what the Bible tells us; thou shall not kill. So, what we do with murderers? WE PUT THEM ON DEATH ROW!! Beware! Pay back's a *****, isn't it?!).

11. Don't make fun if you meet someone who uses all 3 names (it's just tradition that makes us different from most. I go by all 3 of my names).

12. No, not all people are like in the show "King Of The Hill" (very intelligent folks in Texas. So, please, respect, huh?).

Old 01-15-2010, 04:03 AM

259,024 posts, read 91,036,540 times
I think more states ought to be like Texas.....

Old 01-15-2010, 05:47 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,567,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I think more states ought to be like Texas.....

We've lived in many states and I have to say, I have never been more proud to live in the great State of Texas. People for the most part, are proud of their country and state. Most show a huge respect for each other and are welcomed. And this from a "Yankee"! I was welcomed with open arms!

Old 01-15-2010, 07:03 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,272,213 times
I was born in Texas but live in Nebraska now. These rules apply to Nebraska, as well. (Modified a bit to be appropriate to the Cornhusker state.)

Old 01-15-2010, 12:42 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,942,462 times
In Iowa we call it the Farmer's Wave and any native worth their salt uses it. For those who are confused it's holding up two or more fingers as you hold on to the top of the steering wheel. "Howdy, neighbor!" Make sure it's at least two fingers or you might see someone pulling a U turn behind you...

Old 01-15-2010, 12:45 PM

27,495 posts, read 27,521,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy_56 View Post
1. Pull your droopy pants up. You look like an idiot.

2. Let's get this straight; it's called a "gravel road." I drive a pickup truck because I want to. No matter how slow you drive, you're going to get dust on your Lexus. Drive it or get out of the way.

3. They are cattle and oil wells. That's what they smell like to you. They smell like money to us. Get over it. Don't like it? I-20 and I-10 go east and west, I-35 goes north and south. Pick one.

4. So you have a $60,000 car. We're impressed. We have $250,000 cotton strippers that are driven only 3 weeks a year.

5. So every person in every pickup waves. It's called being friendly. Try to understand the concept.

6. If that cell phone rings while a bunch of doves are coming in, we WILL shoot it out of your hand. You better hope you don't have it up to your ear at the time.

7. Yeah, we eat catfish and crawfish. You really want sushi and caviar? It's available at the corner bait shop.

8. The "Opener" refers to the first day of deer season. It's a religious holiday held the closest Saturday to the first of November.

9. We open doors for women. That is applied to all women, regardless of age.

10. No, there's no "vegetarian special" on the menu. Order steak. Or you can order the Chef's Salad and pick off the 2 pounds of ham and turkey.

11. When we fill out a table, there are three main dishes: meats, vegetables, and breads. We use three spices: salt, pepper, and Picante Sauce! !Oh, yeah.... We don't care what you folks in Cincinnati call that stuff you eat... It AIN'T REAL CHILI!! Chili was born and bred in San Antonio .... and real chili never met a tomato!

12. You bring "coke" into my house, it better be brown, wet, and served over ice. You bring "Mary Jane" into my house, she better be cute, know how to shoot, drive a truck, and have long hair.

13. College and High School Football is as important here as the Lakers and the Knicks, and a dang site more fun to watch.

14. Yeah, we have golf courses. But don't hit the water hazards -- it spooks the fish.

15. Colleges? Try Texas Tech, Texas A-M or University of Texas They come outta there with an education plus a love for God and country, and they still wave at passing pickups when they come for the holidays.

16. We have more folks in the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines, than any other state, so "Don't Mess with Texas ," If you do, you will get whipped by the best.

17. Always remember what our great governor Sam Houston once said: "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !"

Old 01-17-2010, 07:11 PM

259,024 posts, read 91,036,540 times
I think I'd like to winter in Texas and spend summers traveling the northern mid west. Now to convince my wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics