Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2011, 07:03 AM

24 posts, read 41,143 times

Advertisements

Nobody is, or perhaps can be, tolerant of anything. But what define the limits? I cannot really stand younger people, and have to bite my lip and refrain from swearing and punching them in public. Nobody has to like others, as everybody knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 09:00 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessishot View Post
Nobody is, or perhaps can be, tolerant of anything. But what define the limits? I cannot really stand younger people, and have to bite my lip and refrain from swearing and punching them in public. Nobody has to like others, as everybody knows.

I suppose everyone has their own boundaries. But one I think about is, if it isn't hurting anyone, then it is OK.

How many people have to restrain themselves from wanting to punch younger people (or any other group) in public?

Old 11-22-2011, 09:33 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
But one I think about is, if it isn't hurting anyone, then it is OK.
I have to respectfully disagree here. I think American culture and society has been on a rapid decline since around the 60's. And, that was the era that ushered in "sex, drugs, and rock and roll." The whole "if it feels good, do it!" mentality. That changed in the 70's and 80's to "if it isn't hurting anyone, then it's okay" or "if it doesn't affect you, why should you care?"

I think for centuries, the American culture, and society as a whole, was easily definable and thought of as "positive" by most Americans. I would question that today. How many people think America is going the right direction. How do you define American culture? Who thinks our society is good and going in the right direction?

And through all this decline, there has been one prevalent teaching: "Tolerance". All those things I quoted above have been shoved down our throats, all to accept the fringes of society. We have to be tolerant of gays, tolerant of right wing fanatics, tolerant of left wing fanatics, tolerant of people who want to wear pants at "half mast", tolerant of those who want to walk nude in the streets. Tolerant of everything that mainstream America does not believe in... and we're told to accept it all as normal.

Now, America has no "normalcy" no "societal norm"; therefore, society has no clear direction.

No... I respectfully disagree. Tolerance is okay. Over-tolerance is an absolutely devastating to a country - especially one governed by laws (which define "normalcy". When we lose the normal in society, we lose the direction of the country.

300+ million people, all having to (being forced to) be tolerant of every other single person leads to a country of individuals, not a society. And, I challenge anyone to say our country is a better, stronger country now than it has been before this "tolerance" has been forced down our throats. The only people who have benefited from all this "if no one gets hurt, who cares" are the extreme minority percentage of people in this country - those who don't care about the survival of our society or country as a whole - unless we're all exactly like them.... the fringes.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:18 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,870,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessishot View Post
How far does tolerance extend? I don't know.

How far should it extend? To the point where an individual or groups actions doesn't infringe upon other individuals, groups, and society's right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I don't think you can say you want to live in a "Free" country without giving everyone else their right to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness.

In summation: It's virtually impossible to draw a boundary line for where tolerance ends and a need for corrective action is required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics