Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 11:56 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,244,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
It was a strange morning. We're gonna take out Mrs. Chow's mother today for Mothers day. I get up and go and run a few errands. I get the car washed and looking all shiny. I pull up at the ATM with the stereo cranked. I look over and there is this old weathered looking homeless woman in a wheel chair with a sign that reads place help with some change. I get out of my car trying not to make eye contact with her, as I already feel like a ****** blasting the stereo in a semi nice car. I go to the atm pull out some cash. I get back in the car. I sit there for a minute. I wanna pull away and not look at the woman, you know, sorta just not think about the ills of society. It isn't about the money, really, I do OK, I live a decent life, I could give an old woman a couple of bucks.

I start the car and start to back away. I stop the car get out and give her 10 bucks. I didn't make a big deal out of it just walked up and handed it to and turned around. She says in a raspy voice. "God bless". I get back in the car and start to tear up. I'm thinking about this poor old woman, it could have been my mom, my mom died a few yrs ago and she really didn't have any money, I was helping her out with things. If I wasn't around at the time, my mom might have been on the streets. I'm not patting myself on the back.I'm just thinking its horrible an old woman on mothers day weekend sitting in a wheel chair, basically begging for money.

It's humbling......
Sounds like you had a great mom. I'm sure she's looking down and smiling at who you've become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 12:32 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,107,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Sounds like you had a great mom. I'm sure she's looking down and smiling at who you've become.
Just wanted to say that I agree with this comment. Good for you, Chowhound.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:33 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,775,234 times
Thank you all for posting in this thread...I love the stories and you ALL rock!

Old 05-07-2011, 04:53 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,852,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I expanded the Charlotte's Web story I posted earlier and on a whim sent it to the Editor of our largest, local newspaper. They called yesterday to verify everything and are going to print it. I think mom will be pleasantly surprised.
__________________________________________________ _________________________________

There are a million things which can be said about the love of a
mother for her children. They teach us a great many things from tying
our shoes to the ways of the world. If only the ways of the world
were as easy to learn as tying your shoes. If I had to choose one
thing which stands out the most about my mom it wasn't some grand
gesture, gift or a flood of verbal I love you's. No, in fact, it was a
gesture more about understanding me than teaching me. Through her
actions, however, she sure did teach me a lot about understanding and
compassion.

I would have to say this pivotal mom moment happened when I was 8
years old. I remember being in the 3rd grade and we were reading
Charlotte's Web. Being an avid reader, I read the whole book instead
of just the assigned chapters. At the end of the book I was just
bawling so hard I couldn't even get the words out to tell my mom why
I was so upset. In her concern, she sat up ALL night reading that book
just to see what upset me so much and in the morning she was sitting
in the chair in the living room just finishing the book and got up and
hugged me almost in tears herself. This will forever be beholden as
my best Mom moment and story. Nothing else showed me the love of a
mother more than this even after all these years.

I cannot remember one birthday gift, one Christmas present I was ever
given, but I will remember the love of that act forever.

As children, we look, we watch, we listen, ,even when you think we aren't and we remember even when you think we don't - especially the little things like the emotional support over the death of a spider.
Thursday, you rockI also remember reading it in Grade 3, and it is still one of my favourite books. I read it with my son when he was in Grade 1, and it became two chapters before bedtime every night. He sobbed his heart out, when Charlotte died. It's one of those times I remember as a Mom wondering if I had done the right thing. You never know. But then shortly after one of our pets died, and he began comparing his cat's death to Charlotte--then we both cried. I think the book really celebrates life and new beginnings. Thanks for reminding me about how special this book is, and have a happy Mother's Day.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:08 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,572,943 times
Default Happy Motrhers day!

happy mothers day!

Old 05-08-2011, 06:38 AM

19,728 posts, read 10,542,111 times
A child enters your home and for the next twenty years makes so much noise you can hardly stand it. The child departs, leaving the house so silent you think you are going mad. ~John Andrew Holmes~
Happy Mother's Day! every day is a gift: be it noisy, or quiet.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:51 AM

31,304 posts, read 33,003,992 times
I have to take a minute to acknowledge a special mother today. Here name is Rosa, she is a single working mom with three kids, who struggles each day to earn enough money to keep her family together. Her husband left a number of years ago to raise her kids alone, he took all the money from the savings that they had and disappeared never to be heard from again. That’s when mothers step up and do what they must just to keep family protected from hunger and from homeless.

Rosa’s three kids have excelled beyond belief in school and have stayed out of trouble. Her oldest son who graduated from high school with honors and valedictorian received two full four year scholarships at MIT and our state university in aerospace engineering. He now is graduating from the state university and moving on to Virginia where he received yet another scholarship and is working on his masters. The younger son when he was a freshman is now graduating from high school this year and he too received a scholarship at the state university. Mrs Aks and I are invited to his graduation in a few weeks. Rosa’s younger daughter is in grade school and has always been on the honor role. We are excited to watch her grow into a young woman soon and see what special things she'll be doing she loves music and art.

This has become my “adopted family” where Mrs Aks and I try to help out. A mother with no other family support or friends simply can’t struggle own her own with working and trying to raise children.

God bless all mothers today and watch over them.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:59 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,418,335 times

YouTube - A Very Special Mommy by Cyril M. Mamar

I found this video through a blog, and it was super cute but powerful. I teared up, sort of.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:43 PM

72,522 posts, read 18,249,065 times
Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers,grandmothers,godmothers,aunt like me!!

Old 05-08-2011, 06:25 PM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,209,587 times
To every wonderful mother out there today

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics