Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 07:24 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,772,237 times

Advertisements

Happy First Mother's Day Sudcaro!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 12:58 AM

2 posts, read 3,678 times
What gifts should I pick for my mom on the coming Mother’s Day? I thought for a long time from necklace to cooking books, but it seems all of those are not so special. Then suddenly one idea occurred to me: why I don’t spend a time enjoying Disney cartoons with mom? My mom is a super fan for Disney cartoons.Mom has a Blu-ray/DVD player connected to a 40 inch widescreen HDTV. She watches her movies directly from the discs via the player and TV. Mom told me many of her favorite discs have had heavy scratches after long time repeatedly insert and eject the discs, which makes her quite heart-breaking.

To settle mom’s problem I decide to bring her also some material gifts: a BD/DVD backup software called Pavtube Blu-ray Ripper and two hardwares WD hard drive and WDTV media player. I have been using these three products for quite a long time as my media solutions. Pavtube Blu-ray Ripper can convert BD or DVD flawlessly to digital movie copies which then can be stored on my WD hard drive. I connect then the WD drive to WDTV media player connected to my TV. Bingo! You don’t have to bother with so many discs and be afraid of the scratches anymore. All your movie collections now are at hand in the little hard drive.

I think Mom shall be more happy if she knows I can also rescue her favorite Disney discs.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:43 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,286,061 times
I expanded the Charlotte's Web story I posted earlier and on a whim sent it to the Editor of our largest, local newspaper. They called yesterday to verify everything and are going to print it. I think mom will be pleasantly surprised.
__________________________________________________ _________________________________

There are a million things which can be said about the love of a
mother for her children. They teach us a great many things from tying
our shoes to the ways of the world. If only the ways of the world
were as easy to learn as tying your shoes. If I had to choose one
thing which stands out the most about my mom it wasn't some grand
gesture, gift or a flood of verbal I love you's. No, in fact, it was a
gesture more about understanding me than teaching me. Through her
actions, however, she sure did teach me a lot about understanding and
compassion.

I would have to say this pivotal mom moment happened when I was 8
years old. I remember being in the 3rd grade and we were reading
Charlotte's Web. Being an avid reader, I read the whole book instead
of just the assigned chapters. At the end of the book I was just
bawling so hard I couldn't even get the words out to tell my mom why
I was so upset. In her concern, she sat up ALL night reading that book
just to see what upset me so much and in the morning she was sitting
in the chair in the living room just finishing the book and got up and
hugged me almost in tears herself. This will forever be beholden as
my best Mom moment and story. Nothing else showed me the love of a
mother more than this even after all these years.

I cannot remember one birthday gift, one Christmas present I was ever
given, but I will remember the love of that act forever.

As children, we look, we watch, we listen, ,even when you think we aren't and we remember even when you think we don't - especially the little things like the emotional support over the death of a spider.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:29 AM

4,699 posts, read 7,925,584 times
Happy Mother's day to all who have helped someone or something to grow...

Old 05-07-2011, 07:59 AM

7,965 posts, read 11,761,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
On mothers, "Mother's will go off on you, in public, don't care....."

YouTube - SiNbAd: Brain Damaged (Part 6)
That was great Thursday...thanks! LOL

Happy Mothers' Day to you all.
Yes, I am a mean mother. I am also a mean grandmother. LOL Fortunately, most of my kids did and do understand that my meanness meant, "You can be mad at me now, but you will not be maimed, molested, despised, need therapy because of horrible things I allowed to happen to you, because I was trying to be your friend, instead of your mean protector. You will be able to take care of yourself, know how to do things by yourself, and will be able to show others how to take care of THEMselves, because I was a mean mother. I wear that badge proudly. I had mean parents...and I am ever grateful for their cruelty.

Last edited by beachmel; 05-07-2011 at 08:12 AM..

Old 05-07-2011, 11:00 AM

52,457 posts, read 53,025,630 times
It was a strange morning. We're gonna take out Mrs. Chow's mother today for Mothers day. I get up and go and run a few errands. I get the car washed and looking all shiny. I pull up at the ATM with the stereo cranked. I look over and there is this old weathered looking homeless woman in a wheel chair with a sign that reads place help with some change. I get out of my car trying not to make eye contact with her, as I already feel like a ****** blasting the stereo in a semi nice car. I go to the atm pull out some cash. I get back in the car. I sit there for a minute. I wanna pull away and not look at the woman, you know, sorta just not think about the ills of society. It isn't about the money, really, I do OK, I live a decent life, I could give an old woman a couple of bucks.

I start the car and start to back away. I stop the car get out and give her 10 bucks. I didn't make a big deal out of it just walked up and handed it to and turned around. She says in a raspy voice. "God bless". I get back in the car and start to tear up. I'm thinking about this poor old woman, it could have been my mom, my mom died a few yrs ago and she really didn't have any money, I was helping her out with things. If I wasn't around at the time, my mom might have been on the streets. I'm not patting myself on the back.I'm just thinking its horrible an old woman on mothers day weekend sitting in a wheel chair, basically begging for money.

It's humbling......

Old 05-07-2011, 11:05 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,416,554 times
Happy Mother's Day to everyone who is a mother, soon to be mother, and is one of a kind mother, haha. I am very thankful that my mother is still alive. I love her very dearly and often feel guilty when I get mad at her for something she cannot do.

Mrs. Chow must be very blessed.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:38 AM

52,457 posts, read 53,025,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
Mrs. Chow must be very blessed.
IDK about that.... I can be a pretty neurotic guy at times.....

Old 05-07-2011, 11:46 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,241,701 times
Nothing wrong with being a mean mom! It's our job.

I'm so mean that I let one of my boys spend 11 days in jail. He actually thanked me for it because it gave him a chance to see the kind of kids he didn't want to be. He's in college, engaged and has a full time job now. Not bad for a 21yr old.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:55 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,286,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
IDK about that.... I can be a pretty neurotic guy at times.....

Neurotic, heh, you're just a brat admit it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics