Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 12:17 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,281,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Impressions View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is the criteria for listing these areas as bad areas?

Is it because poor people live there?

Is it because minorities live there?

The only 2 crimes that I've been a victim of in my life have been in Lake Mary. Should I add 32746 to the list?
I think Pianogal said it best "Here are some I would avoid.....there are pockets of good areas in these zip codes - as well as pockets of not so good areas in others. However, these are the ones with the 'worst' reputation." I think Tangelo Park and Pinehills reputation speak for themselves as do most on Nirvana's list. Crime is higher in these areas and that is a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 12:26 PM

640 posts, read 3,074,610 times
Very interesting questions FL Impressions.

On the bad zip codes NG has Colonial and then Hoffner & Conway listed for East Orlando. They seem like very small areas to badmouth all of East Orlando over. I did mapquest from where I live in Waterford to Hoffner & Conway and it is 15 miles away. That should give the out-of-towners an idea how large East Orlando is.

We go to the Wing Shack in the fall over on Conroy & Michigan because it is the Philadelphia Eagles fan club and the owners televise all the games there. On mapquest it looks fairly close to Conroy & Hoffner. I'm not saying that the Conway/Hoffner area isn't bad but it's not too far away is the Wing Shack. We've been to the Wing Shack a half dozen times to watch games, day and night, and never have seen any undesirables in the parking lot or in the restaurant. If I was going to make an estimated guess all the patrons look middle-upper class to me. I guess it only goes to prove that there are bad pockets of areas in different locations and that we shouldn't label large areas the same.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:52 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
I was a bit disappointed to see 32839 on Nirvana's list. I was doing a bit of a search on a few areas and found a couple of areas that look nice on the internet. I guess what I'm saying is that there are some apartments that look nice on the internet and they also have things nearby like restaurants, stores, etc. And yea, Orlando is HUGE compared to what we're used to. We've been there and even spent time there, but I didn't drive and I'm not familiar at all with any of the areas.

To be honest, we have reservations of living in a city because it's just so foreign to us. But it's beginning to seem like if you have to work, you need to live in one of the larger cities down there. It's the only place the job market seems to have anything available. We'd love nothing more then to live in a smaller town like Tavares or Mt. Dora or Lake Placid only because it's just more of a lifestyle that we're used to. We loved Orlando when we were there, but we didn't have to get ourselves around or drive in the traffic or anything and that makes a lot of difference.

Orlando is listed as having a high crime rate. But I'm still wondering if a lot of it doesn't have more to do with lifestyle. We're middle aged so we won't be hanging around bars and won't be out making drug deals so I'm hoping that would have a positive effect on the crime we'd be subject to. Still, in order to be cautious I guess we'd have to learn to lock our doors when we leave home and keep our cars locked, too.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:40 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,209,634 times
I disagree with a couple of the zip codes listed....

32814 is Baldwin Park - some of the most upscale real estate in Orlando.
(although I know there are some less than 'rich' neighborhoods close by)

32812 is a very good neighborhood with nice homes/communities

Florida Impressions - it is MAINLY because these areas are known for high crime - however, I think in some it is because they are older and run down. Most of the residents are lower income and can't afford to maintain them well - unfortunately statistics show that these areas have higher crime than the more upscale communities.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:43 PM

94 posts, read 327,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
What are the exact zip codes to avoid for those who are moving to Orlando? I've read posts that talk about areas or streets, but what are the zips?
Stay away from 32808, 32818, 32805

Look into areas like 32726 - small town atmosphere , but still close to orlando

Old 04-27-2007, 08:10 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
32835 - MetroWest

32811 - Kirkman and Conroy

34761 - Colonial drive area of Ocoee

32812 - Hoffner and Conway areas in East Orlando

32804 - Union park, Eatonville, Lee road

32839 - John Young and OBT areas.

32818 - Silver Star Road and NORTH Hiawassee road (this area is true inter-city ghetto)

32814 - Semoran

32809 - Landstreet road, Orange Ave, South OBT

32822 - Goldenrod road, Old Cheney Hwy - this area is the absolute pits

32814 - Colonial area

32808 - Includes Pine Hills (aka. Crime Hills)

32807 - downtown Orlando, close to Paramore (inter-city ghetto).

32819 - Tangelo Park (gangland)

32771 - VA Fury already put it here, but that is the Sanford bad areas (very large area).

32804 - Union park, Eatonville, Lee road

32804 does NOT include Union Park. Union Park is 32817.

32807 - downtown Orlando, close to Paramore (inter-city ghetto).

32807 is east Orlando --- in the Azalea Park/436, Forsyth Rd. areas, not even close to Parramore.

A fairly decent map showing city of Orlando Zips is: http://www.cityoforlando.net/gis/pdf/ZipCodes.PDF (broken link)

Another for Orange County is:
http://www.orangecountyfl.net/NR/rdonlyres/e3o3d2vlwtp24yvjwnxpdjnvluhhcd43i56mo6k5btkt7xasne 67vyzagz3ggamtjio73bhue75fycffv6kfldrwalc/Zip_Codes.pdf (broken link)

Old 04-27-2007, 09:07 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,209,634 times
A fairly decent map showing city of Orlando Zips is: http://www.cityoforlando.net/gis/pdf/ZipCodes.PDF (broken link)

Another for Orange County is:
http://www.orangecountyfl.net/NR/rdonlyres/e3o3d2vlwtp24yvjwnxpdjnvluhhcd43i56mo6k5btkt7xasne 67vyzagz3ggamtjio73bhue75fycffv6kfldrwalc/Zip_Codes.pdf (broken link)
[/quote]

Thank you, Nana....these are a big help for folks!

Old 04-27-2007, 10:57 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
This is a lot of helpful advice. I like the zip map of Orlando, but unfortunately can't see the numbers in the second link. I know, it's my aging eyes.

What area is 32839 called?

Old 04-27-2007, 12:37 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
This is a lot of helpful advice. I like the zip map of Orlando, but unfortunately can't see the numbers in the second link. I know, it's my aging eyes.

What area is 32839 called?

Jammie, try increasing the page size since the map originally comes up at 20%(at least on my screen!). You can increase it as much as you like. Look at your tools right above the page and see if one box says 20%. Just click the arrow and go to 100% or more. 32839 is just south of the downtown Orlando area. As others have said, there are pockets of nice homes in any area, this one included, some are even lakefront, but on the whole I doubt you'd be really happy there. It's right off "the trail", i.e., So. Orange Blossom Trail where you may encounter all types...including hookers openly plying their trade. And the traffic is really heavy almost all the time.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:23 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,668 times
Default Conway & Hoffner & the Wing Shack

You're right. Conway & Hoffner have newer, upper scale homes, renovated shopping centers, there's a big new church on the corner that just had one of the Florida Gator football players as a speaker there last week. They're beginning the process of widening Conway Road there at least to Judge Road. My first date with my hubby before we were married was at that Wing Shack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenAroundTheBlock View Post
Very interesting questions FL Impressions.

On the bad zip codes NG has Colonial and then Hoffner & Conway listed for East Orlando. They seem like very small areas to badmouth all of East Orlando over. I did mapquest from where I live in Waterford to Hoffner & Conway and it is 15 miles away. That should give the out-of-towners an idea how large East Orlando is.

We go to the Wing Shack in the fall over on Conroy & Michigan because it is the Philadelphia Eagles fan club and the owners televise all the games there. On mapquest it looks fairly close to Conroy & Hoffner. I'm not saying that the Conway/Hoffner area isn't bad but it's not too far away is the Wing Shack. We've been to the Wing Shack a half dozen times to watch games, day and night, and never have seen any undesirables in the parking lot or in the restaurant. If I was going to make an estimated guess all the patrons look middle-upper class to me. I guess it only goes to prove that there are bad pockets of areas in different locations and that we shouldn't label large areas the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando