Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 08:16 AM

13 posts, read 42,121 times

Advertisements

We are looking at a home in summerport. It is a really good price but needs some work. We are looking for some feedback on the neighborhood - it seems very big - If anyone can weigh in on what it is like to live there we would appreciate it.

It seems to be nice, however it clearly has a lot of rental and a number of homes are not maintained. Do you see the area improving or getting worse?

We would love to hear from people who live there - would you buy there again or do you wish you lived elsewhere? What is the local elementary school like? Does anyone know what the middle school for this is?

Thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 08:48 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
One thing I'd be aware of with Summerport is that the builder of many of those homes went belly up and warranties are not being honored.

Also many of those homes are now rentals. Just go into it with your eyes open and check the HOA financials before signing anything.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:02 AM

986 posts, read 3,551,072 times
Summerport is quite a nice area, however, for me the houses are very similar even homes next to each other and also just driving around the neighbourhood there is alot of wear and tear. A great many of the homes are rental properties as well which has already mentioned.

Also, a new elementary school is in the neighbourhood which opens in August. This has pros and cons. The pros are if you have children in elementary school then there is one in the community. The cons are that traffic is going to increase considerably in the neighbourhood, so that is something you will need to weigh up for yourself.

Personally, there are a number of great communities very close to Summerport which offer a nicer community, better built homes within the same budget, and yet doesnt have a) as many rental units and b) as much wear and tear.

I hope this helps.

Nick

Old 08-06-2009, 02:22 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
Summerport does have some great opportunities and in Windermere on Lakes of Windermere can come close to beating the prices. I find a few in better areas every so often but for the most part Lake, Summerport and Eden are the 3 lowest priced communities in Windermere. There are some neighborhoods just up 535 in Winter Garden that are decent but plagued with the same issues of foreclosures, looking run down and HOA issues.

It really comes down to what you are up for and want. Summerport I would say is a longer term hold as it will take time to right the issues there and bring values back. There were several builders in the community and soem homes certainly have more value than others from an aesthetic point of view.

There are sevveral areas where some great deals can be had, again it depends on what you are looking for as to the best choice. But Summerport may not be it.

Ken A

Old 08-05-2010, 09:36 PM

6 posts, read 25,791 times
I like the lake in Summerport!

Old 08-05-2010, 09:39 PM

6 posts, read 25,791 times
I want to know why so many people are selling their homes in Keenes Pointe, Wadsdale Street and Cartmel Street. Reserves at Belmere is experiencing many, many, home sales and foreclosures too. I am scared to make an offer. Why is everyone leaving?

Old 08-06-2010, 04:57 AM

193 posts, read 624,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjskibunny View Post
I want to know why so many people are selling their homes in Keenes Pointe, Wadsdale Street and Cartmel Street. Reserves at Belmere is experiencing many, many, home sales and foreclosures too. I am scared to make an offer. Why is everyone leaving?
Don't know for sure but I'd say quite a few of the owners have lost employment and can no longer afford the astronomical prices they paid for their homes in the first place. Property was soooo over appraised and priced a few years back.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:47 PM

184 posts, read 438,361 times
We live in Summerport, in a Ryland home and they did not go belly-up! The only neighborhood, in Windermere, we saw going down in upkeep is Independence, but now Lennar is taking over so that should improve. We love Summerport.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 6,641 times
Looking at moving to Summerport, Can anyone tell me how it is and is there a lot of renters. Also, is there a lot of families with kids?

Old 05-28-2011, 02:10 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,147,258 times
Yes there are still homes being used as rentals in the neighborhood, though most rents are around the 1500-2100+/mo range so you're not talking about cheap rental properties. The majority of the neighborhood is owner occupied.

Since the original posting of this thread the neighborhood has taken a major upswing with most of the foreclosures worked through the system and new owners moving in, fixing up, and taking pride in their new homes. There are still a few foreclosures left to go through, particularly in the northern part of the neighborhood, but all in all the neighborhood is very well maintained by the owners.

There are usually lots of kids walking around and playing whenever I drive the neighborhood or stop in at the clubhouse. Plus there is a new elementary school right IN the back of the neighborhood.

Check out Summerport Windermere FL it has lots of pictures of the neighborhood, information regarding the HOA, amenities, schools, available homes and sold homes etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando