Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2008, 01:36 AM

97 posts, read 353,065 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I currently live in Grand Forks, ND. (Way up there, right? ) Well, I am sick of the cold, crappy weather, and also I am sick of how slow technology is advancing up here... not to mention it's not exciting or anything. Mostly the weather, though.

Is Orlando a nice place to live for someone in his or her twenties? Saying this bluntly... I'm used to a lot of white people (although I am obviously not racist) and safety is a always a concern. Are there certain parts of Orlando that are safer/nicer than others? Recommendations?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 09:36 AM

127 posts, read 407,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunk View Post
Hey guys,

I currently live in Grand Forks, ND. (Way up there, right? ) Well, I am sick of the cold, crappy weather, and also I am sick of how slow technology is advancing up here... not to mention it's not exciting or anything. Mostly the weather, though.

Is Orlando a nice place to live for someone in his or her twenties? Saying this bluntly... I'm used to a lot of white people (although I am obviously not racist) and safety is a always a concern. Are there certain parts of Orlando that are safer/nicer than others? Recommendations?

Thanks!
Depends on what you are looking for, you can definitely find nice low crime areas in Orlando. There are high crime areas in the city, but if you live in a lower crime area you won't have any problems. And of course the weather will be a welcome change from ND. Just visit the area when you get a chance before you move, and make sure you have a job lined up... I think you'll like it. Good luck

Old 05-31-2008, 10:37 AM

986 posts, read 3,549,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbansal View Post
Depends on what you are looking for, you can definitely find nice low crime areas in Orlando. There are high crime areas in the city, but if you live in a lower crime area you won't have any problems. And of course the weather will be a welcome change from ND. Just visit the area when you get a chance before you move, and make sure you have a job lined up... I think you'll like it. Good luck
I would have to agree with dbansal. Hit the nail on the head. You will also find that there are very nice areas which have a mixture of races and are very nice. Although as im sure you have read on here how transient Orlando is, not all crime is committed by hispanics or blacks. But you will find some very nice areas with diverse cultures and races and would be very happy

Old 05-31-2008, 10:49 AM

34 posts, read 127,056 times
You may be able to find low crime areas but you better get used to ****ty people, bad drivers and lots of traffic. Orlando is constantly being developed/over developed. In early 07 crime in ocoee, fl was really low, now my parents neighborhood has gone from quiet community to crime ridden cesspool. I drove here from Vancouver, WA. No problems the whole trip, I pulled into orlando and had a gun pulled on me in traffic about 3 miles from my destination.
I grew up here, moved away for a few years and came back, FL has taken a serious turn south and has went from nice orange grove covered city to the upper states run off.
So, there's my 2 cents.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetto Funk View Post
You may be able to find low crime areas but you better get used to ****ty people, bad drivers and lots of traffic. Orlando is constantly being developed/over developed. In early 07 crime in ocoee, fl was really low, now my parents neighborhood has gone from quiet community to crime ridden cesspool. I drove here from Vancouver, WA. No problems the whole trip, I pulled into orlando and had a gun pulled on me in traffic about 3 miles from my destination.
I grew up here, moved away for a few years and came back, FL has taken a serious turn south and has went from nice orange grove covered city to the upper states run off.
So, there's my 2 cents.
Im sorry to hear of your bad experience, what i would say is that there are alot of people who live in a place for years and not experience any crime. Sometimes its just bad luck. I know Ocoee very well and there are parts which arnt too bad, but your right as a whole i wouldnt advise that as a plce to live. Also consider particularly in areas like Kissimmee etc, there are such appauling drivers because they are a mash of people who arnt from here. I know Brits are dreadful drivers, and i say that as a Brit(im a very good driver...;-) ), people from places like NY who prob only use public transport at home are going to be bad aswell. This isnt something just in Orlando. If you go to London, UK i can tell you drivers are appauling and i say that as someone who lived there for 4 years.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:57 PM

I also posted this in the Pheonix forum a while back and it seemed that everyone there just loved living there... not one person said anything about crime. That is very strange to me. It sounds like Orlando probably isn't the place for me... thanks guys

Old 05-31-2008, 01:21 PM

You shouldnt be nieve to think that there is a place that has no crime. Orlando is no exception to the rule. We have crime here, indeed in some areas it is higher than the national average when comparing to some statistics. but by making wise choices and not buying or living in those areas you can avoid it. People always think it wont happen to them, and touch wood, it hasnt happed to me or my family. Could it? Absolutly, but by choosing to live and raise our family in good neighbourhoods, knowing your neighbours etc etc, you can reduce this.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:40 PM

127 posts, read 407,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunk View Post
I also posted this in the Pheonix forum a while back and it seemed that everyone there just loved living there... not one person said anything about crime. That is very strange to me. It sounds like Orlando probably isn't the place for me... thanks guys
I wouldn't rely too much on these forums honestly. Visit both places and see what you really like. I've never been a victim of crime and don't see it as a problem, there are a few very vocal people here who don't like the area and complain about it, many people like myself love it. In any case good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbansal View Post
I wouldn't rely too much on these forums honestly. Visit both places and see what you really like. I've never been a victim of crime and don't see it as a problem, there are a few very vocal people here who don't like the area and complain about it, many people like myself love it. In any case good luck with whatever you decide.
This is probably the best, most honest response I have ever received here. Thanks, and will do.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:51 PM

9 posts, read 86,560 times
Default I Can Be A Wealth Of Info To You...

Hey there. I'm currently living in Grand Forks, but I'm originally from Orlando. I'll be up here for the next three years (UND Law School next year), and I don't really like ithere as well. But, I can answer any questions that you may have about Orlando. Orlando is a GREAT city! You'll love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: