Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 12:39 PM

433 posts, read 1,011,608 times

Advertisements

Guys i'm thinking of moving out of the city in part because there doesn't seem to be anything to do besides meetup groups for single guys over 30 here. Sure they will have an event here and there but lets face it a lot of the stuff you do in this city is great when your married with kids or a college kid and single.

I like to grab a beer after work or go out and hit the town. Me and my friends have always gone downtown but i'm tired of that scene and it's all college.

The only spots i've found is International drive which has a couple places, and Citywalk. They both have a couple spots but tourist trap prices and hit or miss. Can anyone give me some other idea's for places i can go or things i can do as a single guy here if i'm looking for some fun and want to meet more people? Right now i'm feeling like it's pretty limited compared to other cities it's size on that front. I can think of some towns that have more actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 01:03 PM

27,172 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Orlando isn't exactly a singles mecca, especially given the overall lack of single professionals here. I'm sure the usual boosters will show to up provide examples of some options but overall think you'd be better off in a major city. If you want to stay in Florida I think you would find Tampa a better option as it tends much less touristy and nowhere near as college student oriented as Downtown Orlando for example, and is 35% larger without factoring in neighboring St Pete (population 250K, roughly the same size as Orlando).

Old 08-26-2014, 02:14 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,766 times
If it's an older crowd at bars you seek, you can certainly find that on Restaurant Row on Sand Lake Road. Just make sure you spray yourself with gold digger repellent before you head out ....

Old 08-26-2014, 02:56 PM

46 posts, read 74,857 times
What about Park Ave in Winter Park?

P.S. is this Eagle from CRSX back in the day?

Old 08-26-2014, 05:03 PM

35,688 posts, read 21,035,253 times
I hear Disney changing their structure of downtown disney to a more dance clubs cafes etc environment to attract the more social crowd, I know they digging up roads as we speak but not sure how long before it happens. T

Old 08-26-2014, 06:04 PM

331 posts, read 1,052,025 times
I am 30 myself and am having a very similar issue. I just find going downtown to clubs is not fun anymore (hasn't been for a few years) and would rather go to a bar than a club. I live closer to Lake Mary than downtown and have found Colonial Town Center is pretty good. There is Dexter's, World of Beer, Graffiti Junktion, Liam Fitzpatrick, Amuras, Friendly Confines and a few others I can't name off the top of my head. I know many of these places are at other places in Orlando but it's a nice place to walk around and get some drinks and is usually a bit of older crowd from my experience. We also have been going to Park Avenue more recently since some of the restaurants out there have had groupons lol. I don't know exactly where you live in Orlando but I find these 2 places seem to cater to a more "mature" crowd

Old 08-27-2014, 12:51 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
Just use online dating websites, you aren't going to find a quality relationship from a nightclub or bar.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:46 AM

35,688 posts, read 21,035,253 times
club dating-- they probably don't live here anyways...tourists,,, want serious find a class to go to, a reoccurring event, church-

Old 08-27-2014, 09:22 AM

433 posts, read 1,011,608 times
I'm pretty sure this is the only site where I'm named eagle. Lol.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, some good ideas. After 4 years of going downtown I'm outgrowing it and am looking for more balanced options. So far I got lake Mary area, coco beach, lake Eola? International drive, city walk, Sand lake and winter park. A lot of these places I haven't been. I hope they do end up making downtown Disney more social, that would be cool. I also think I should get involved in day events and things but outside of meet up.com not sure how to find stuff.

I agree Tampa may be better for me especially St Pete but that involves moving and I've been happy in Orlando 4 of the 5 years I've been here so just trying to see If I can make it work for me again. It's a growing city but yeah it does indeed seem hard for singles past the college scene to find some mature action. For a city this size with a year round climate and transplants from all over I would expect more organized events, outdoor activity, and venues for the older crowd. Something about restaurants rubs me wrong. If they got a outside patio with a bar then that's more my style. One thing I love about the Tampa area and south Florida is all the places with mixed crowds and outdoor areas that are meant to promote a laid back casual social environment.

Downtown we got only 3 lattitudes, independence bar, and ember. Independence can be a bit out there with the crowd and the patio is tiny. Lattitudes is descent but still pretty young at times. Ember is probably the closest to fitting the bill of what I like these days.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:17 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,052,083 times
Hey Eagle, you might want to walk up and down Ivanhoe Village as well. The Hammered Lamb, Lucky Lure, Imperial, and Thirsty Topher are all bars with outdoor areas, though small. Other than Imperial, they are not upscale either. I really can't comment on how they are for singles either. Some craft breweries are opening soon in the area as well. This area is starting to carve out its own low key nightlife scene separate from downtown. Up Virginia you can find the Matador as well. I expect these streets to be lined with bars over the next few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando