Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 01:15 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,879,441 times

Advertisements

well, having spent a lot of time on north coast beaches (great to see wildlife, explore with the dogs, and have some solitude)- we don't go to the coast to lay there under perfect blue skies on white sand and tan-
love storm coast, foggy coast, drift wood beaches at low tide- tide pool exploring, etc...

have relatives in Florida near the coast there, and have had tons and tons of hot beach weather (its overrated)...

but it is important for those not familiar with the Pacific North/west coast to understand the difference...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 03:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,797 posts, read 58,350,670 times
Poperties are ALWAYS over priced in vacation / tourist areas, ESPECIALLY in mid season, when all the starry eyed investors are trying to unload their cash-flow nightmares.

Check these coastal places MID WINTER. MID WEEK!!! empty house after empty house... all waiting to be rented to ANYONE to bring cash flows to property managers (not to owners).

Hopefully some visitor with Rose Glasses will 'binge buy' these this summer! in 3-5 yrs, those new owners will be out $20k - $50k, and these properties will be back on the market.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:29 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,476,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therese marie View Post
My husband and I were all set to retire on OR coast until we took a trip out there last summer.. We went there the first week of July and were shocked how cold, windy and cloudy it was.. and it was SUMMER.. we even went back few days later, same thing.. so we decided against it.. actually may be moving to WA instead in couple months..
I'm kind of the same way.
When I was a younger man, I was out at the coast constantly.

Fishing in Tillamook Bay, Fishing the mouth of the Columbia at Buoy 10, crabbing in Nehalem Bay. Clamming from Seaside to the Peter Iredale, and Herring fishing and crabbing in Yaquina Bay.

Back then, I really, really wanted to live on the coast.

Now that I am older, I strongly relate to that poster that says he likes to go there on sunny days and rent someone elses headache for a few days while enjoying himself.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:16 PM

5,514 posts, read 7,815,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Poperties are ALWAYS over priced in vacation / tourist areas, ESPECIALLY in mid season, when all the starry eyed investors are trying to unload their cash-flow nightmares.

Check these coastal places MID WINTER. MID WEEK!!! empty house after empty house... all waiting to be rented to ANYONE to bring cash flows to property managers (not to owners).

Hopefully some visitor with Rose Glasses will 'binge buy' these this summer! in 3-5 yrs, those new owners will be out $20k - $50k, and these properties will be back on the market.
One always expects to see lots of real estate for sale in resort areas. It is the same everywhere. When we lived in Texas there was always zillions of condos for sale in South Padre. But I was just impressed with the sheer density of listings on the coast. I don't know if it has always been this way or this is something new this summer now that housing has somewhat recovered and people are looking to unload.

Take Oceanside where we were staying. Wikipedia says the town has approximately 190 households. Yet there were over 100 listings on Zillow, basically one for every other household. I guess a lot of the housing is standing empty but wow. Something seems wrong with that market.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:39 PM

Take a look at Seaside, Oregon and Long Beach, WA on Zillow.

Everybody seems to be trying to unload their beach houses at a big profit.

Looks like a lot of flipping going on.

People bought fairly cheaply five years ago, renovated, and now are looking to make bank.

I found one house that sold for 249k in 2015, and now they want almost 700k for it.

I wish I had the foresight to buy up swaths of beachfront property back in the eighties.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:20 PM

863 posts, read 1,070,331 times
Here on the central coast, the oceanfront/strong OV properties weathered the recession pretty well. Not surprised most held on, for the good returns they're getting today.
If you've got a build-able OF lot, you're gold. "They're not making any more oceanfront."

Old 07-14-2017, 01:14 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,797 posts, read 58,350,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
Here on the central coast, the oceanfront/strong OV properties weathered the recession pretty well. Not surprised most held on, for the good returns they're getting today.
If you've got a build-able OF lot, you're gold. "They're not making any more oceanfront."
THAT can be a problem (today's OF is tomorrow's erosion / beach / condemned property. ) Happens a lot!

PNW is very possible to happen and liquefaction is ugly (Ask Christchurch NZ...)

It may not... be wise, have insurance and a plan B (at all times)

Old 07-14-2017, 11:28 AM

5,514 posts, read 7,815,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Take a look at Seaside, Oregon and Long Beach, WA on Zillow.

Everybody seems to be trying to unload their beach houses at a big profit.

Looks like a lot of flipping going on.

People bought fairly cheaply five years ago, renovated, and now are looking to make bank.

I found one house that sold for 249k in 2015, and now they want almost 700k for it.

I wish I had the foresight to buy up swaths of beachfront property back in the eighties.
So do I. Except back in the 80s I was working my way through college and renting a room in a house in SE Portland for about $200/month. Didn't have enough cash for a car much less real estate.

One of my roommates who was a couple of years ahead bought a house at about 31th and Salmon in SE Portland for $36,000 back then. Did it very comfortably on a teacher's salary. Perfectly decent 4 br house that just needed a little paint. Today the same place is probably worth over $700,000.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
One of my roommates who was a couple of years ahead bought a house at about 31th and Salmon in SE Portland for $36,000 back then.
Yep, "back then", my brother and I bought several houses in Woodstock (which was super blue collar cheap back then) and in Sellwood/Westmoreland for roughly that amount per house.

That's about 90k in 2017 dollars.

I still own one house in Woodstock that I bought in 1982 for 29k (which would be roughly 75k in 2017 dollars) that I could sell for over 500k easy today.

All I can say is thank you to all the people that moved here since then, and made me a wealthy man.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:32 PM

4 posts, read 7,027 times
Default Shake much?

I wonder if the Cascadia Subduction Zone has anything to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon