Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2017, 05:21 PM

17,589 posts, read 13,367,588 times

Advertisements

We are flying into Portland and renting a car for a quick National Park hop to John Day, Crater Lake and Redwoods NP in CA with a possible stop at the Erickson Aircraft Collection.

Our National Park visits are usually the driveway accessible sights with the possibility of short (less than 1 mile easy paths) hikes due to MrsM's arthritis.

We then leave on a riverboat cruise from Portland to Lewiston, ID

On paper it looks doable, I just want a sanity check

Also, any other suggestions along the route for photography stops would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 05:48 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,833,337 times
Only if you REALLY like being in the car all day.

You can get from Portland to the Redwood NP in 9 or 10 hours, depending on when you go and what the highway is like.

Also depending on when you come, Crater Lake Rim Road might or might not be open - they were looking at mid- to late-June when I was up there last week. The south entrance is open (that is true pretty much year-round) and you can drive up to the lodge and the crater rim.

From Crater Lake to John Day is also pretty much a day's drive. There are 3 units at John Day, spread out over a bit of distance, from Sheep Rock in the SE to the Painted Hills and Clarno Nut Beds in the NW part of the park. The Condon Visitor Center is down in the Sheep Rock unit.

I'd sort of suggest Portland to Astoria, down the coast a bit then over to Bend and Newberry Crater, out to Cove Palisades in Madras and then maybe a stop at one of the John Day. Or if you really want to see the redwoods, heading down I5 to Eugene, cutting over to the coast there, down to the Redwoods. Then you could head back to Grants Pass and over to Crater Lake and back to Portland via Bend. That is still a lot of driving, but then you have the cruising time to relax after.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:27 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
I suggest that you fly into Redmond Oregon (Robert's Field) instead of Portland. Rent a car in Redmond. That's an easy day trip to John Day from Redmond and a very easy drive to Crater Lake from Redmond.

Before you take off for John Day, drive a couple of miles north of Redmond to see Smith Rocks State Park and then cross the highway just a couple of miles north and get out and walk around at the Peter Skene Ogden Rest Area and walk across the old bridge for a really spectacular view of a very deep river gorge.

You can see Paulina Lake on your way to Crater Lake. It's another caldera lake and quite beautiful. There is a petrified forest near Paulina Lake, but many of the volcanic tubes were dynamited out before the area was protected, so I don't think it is worth a stop on a hurried trip. It's worth seeing, but only if there is lots of time.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:45 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Not too hard. Take 26 over Mt. Hood to John Day. That's about 6 hours. If you get an early start, you could hit the visitor center on the way to John Day. If you want to see all three units, spend the next day driving around and spend the night in Redmond or Bend. Third day drive to Crater Lake (about 2.5 hours from Bend), have lunch at the lodge, take pictures, and spend the night in Grants Pass. Fourth day take the Redwood Highway (199) from Grants Pass to Jedediah Smith, about 3 hours. You go right past the Oregon Caves, so it might be worth stopping there. They are a small cave system, but carved out of marble rather than limestone. After the Redwoods, get as far back north as you can, because it really is a 9 hour drive from there to Portland on Day 5. If you shave a couple hours off of that on Day 4 you will thank yourself.

Photo ops abound. Painted Hills, Crater Lake, Redwoods, Southern Oregon Coast, take your pick.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Very ez to do (and enjoy) during your length of trip.

John Day is your outlier. You could do some research / programs / videos and bleep that stop if necessary. (since your hiking ability / accessibility is limited)

Does Mrs. M allow night or early morning driving? (traffic is less, speed is MUCH better)

80% of the Route to John Day and from John Day to Crater Lake can be done in the dark and not miss much.

(I travel most 'desolate' routes by night, as I have for 40+ yrs). I can catch a nap under a tree or at a library during the day.

I enjoy the Samoa Cookhouse near Eureka (museum / cafe) if you get that far south. Hopefully you get there for French Toast Breakfast (usually 2 days / week / fixed menu served family style) https://www.yelp.com/biz/samoa-cookhouse-samoa

Old 05-31-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Does Mrs. M allow night or early morning driving? (traffic is less, speed is MUCH better)

I enjoy the Samoa Cookhouse near Eureka (museum / cafe) if you get that far south. Hopefully you get there for French Toast Breakfast (usually 2 days / week / fixed menu served family style) https://www.yelp.com/biz/samoa-cookhouse-samoa
Early AM i good, nights not so good

Thanks to all of you for your help.

We do a lot of traveling out west, but have never been to Oregon and Idaho

Looking forward to our vacation

Old 05-31-2017, 07:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Welcome to the PNW, your trip should be great. I envy your riverboat trip up the Columbia and Snake. I would like to do the same via kayak or a cabin cruiser with time to play whenever I want.

If possible... see the coast going southbound, as you will be on the right side of road to pull off and enjoy the many viewpoints. (& not have to cross traffic 2x at each stop)

Doing the counter-clockwise loop will allow you to determine how much time you have left for John Day / Mt Hood... on your way back to Portland... Kahneeta can be a nice places to soak for a spell (or overnight)

http://soakoregon.com/kahneeta-hot-springs/

Near the airport... This is a fun place to learn a bit about Portland history, https://www.mcmenamins.com/edgefield

as well as Powell Books (a portland must do) as is Saturday Market and many Farmer's Markets and great parks. If in Portland from June - early Sept... Don't miss Portland test Rose Gardens, and Peninsula park

All of the above is free (except for Kahneeta)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 05-31-2017 at 07:42 PM..

Old 06-06-2017, 12:31 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,887,429 times
I think all good advice above. Just remember many of Oregon's two-lane highways are slow and go...meaning you will get behind some RV's and your average speed might be 45-50 for many miles. Passing lanes do exist, but they are few and far between. I would probably expect 5 full days for what you want to do. As for the riverboat cruise, please keep in mind that some of the cruises are being diverted due to high water on the rivers. Might want to call ahead about this. When you dock in Richland, WA, many get off the boat and Uber is available in this area.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I think all good advice above. Just remember many of Oregon's two-lane highways are slow and go...meaning you will get behind some RV's and your average speed might be 45-50 for many miles. Passing lanes do exist, but they are few and far between. I would probably expect 5 full days for what you want to do. As for the riverboat cruise, please keep in mind that some of the cruises are being diverted due to high water on the rivers. Might want to call ahead about this. When you dock in Richland, WA, many get off the boat and Uber is available in this area.
Thanks, The American Cruise Line is keeping us well informed. We still have over a month

The one stop that was iffy as of 2 weeks ago was Hanford. I really don't want to glow in the dark!

Old 06-08-2017, 11:02 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,887,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Thanks, The American Cruise Line is keeping us well informed. We still have over a month

The one stop that was iffy as of 2 weeks ago was Hanford. I really don't want to glow in the dark!
Probably due to the high water on the Columbia. However, the boats seem to be back on schedule as of this week. Glow in the dark is not an issue, but I understand the humor. Radiation levels are safe even in the affected area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon