Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 10:34 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,255,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
ALll of it to me. But then I find mass conformity terrifying. Most people seem to like it.
True, but some people are opposed to high crime rates, poor school performance, and mariachi music being played at all times of the day. So I don't blame them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 12:35 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,463,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivax View Post
I lived in Newport Beach and Costa Mesa for 41 of my 44 years. To listen to you people speak of Costa Mesa, and Fountain Valley, you make these places sound like gang land battle grounds where drug raids on bowling alleys is some kind of daily occurrence. I wonder if I even lived in the same place as you all are describing.

To the original poster, I raised 6 children in Costa Mesa schools before moving to Houston a few years ago.
Not a one of them is gang banger and they can all read, write and even do algebra. None of my children has ever come home in a squad car or a body bag for that matter.
I left my car unlocked in the driveway, my back door rarely locked, and no one ever did a single thing to me.
Costa Mesa is a great place to live and its proximity to the beach but slightly lower housing costs are a pretty good compromise.
Go have a look for yourself and make up your own mind about it.
Costa Mesa scary?? I am speechless. Costa Mesa has to be about the boringest city I have ever lived in. LOL!
Ever heard of Shalimar Dr?

Old 05-05-2010, 08:29 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,468,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Something tells me (I could be wrong) that the bowling alley raid you saw was just a drill. The only bowling place that I know of in that part of CM has been closed for at least 15 years. Of course if you saw something in the news the next day, then I stand corrected.
This happened 12 years ago, so your memory might not be that far off. It was'nt a drill. There was a story in the Register about it the next day. Plus, It was a sunday morning. I doubt the SWAT team does tactical training on sunday mornings.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:47 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,771,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
ALll of it to me. But then I find mass conformity terrifying. Most people seem to like it.
It's not about conformity on the builders end, it's about costs. And neighborhoods invariably "mature" over time. Cities like Lakewood and Rossmoor(well, unincorporated) all looked the same when they were built in the 50s and 60s. Now every house has it's own look, many have been torn down and replaced by custom houses, etc.

Those craftsman houses in Long Beach that the "non-conformists" love so much because of their "personality" were parts of blocks and blocks of craftsman houses that all looked the same back in the 1920's.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:12 AM

499 posts, read 2,157,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Ever heard of Shalimar Dr?
Of course... and any thing that happened there has exactly what to do with 99% of the city of Costa Mesa? That's one, short 100 yard long closed in street in a city of 200,000 people that stretches from the 405 to PCH, from Newport Bay to the Santa Ana River.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:07 AM

2 posts, read 8,306 times
Costa Mesa is pretty safe, I mean the only stuff that ever happens is petty crime which happens in every city; especially if your living in Costa Mesa near Newport Beach or close to Orange Coast College. Ive never felt unsafe anywhere in Costa Mesa, then again I am a male. Highly recommended!

Old 05-12-2010, 05:36 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,015,161 times
I recently returned to Ca and currently living in Costa Mesa with a friend. I was waiting for an apartment to clear in Newport, but after living in Costa Mesa for a few weeks, I figure I may just stay there. Close to the beach, a bit cheaper than the surrounding communities, and while I live in mixed anglo/hispanic area, I have never seen a gang member or any other trouble makers.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:14 PM

30 posts, read 83,849 times
Here is the opinion of somone who has lived in CM for 14 years: First CM and Irvine offer completely different things. As somone said earlier Irvvine is a 'newer' and very planned community. Much of what is termed 'south'county' are to some degree planned 'track home' communities, which is perfectly fine but I'd recommend actually dricing around and looking to see if that is something you like. We liked CM because it is NOT full of track homes. We also moved here when a nice ranch house on the East Side cost around 300k. Not so anymore!! The area called east side is on the border with Newport Beach and thus has a nicer, safer, upper-middle class feel and some neighborhoods will share the NB schools. The homes off 17th St (sml downtown shopping/eating district) and Irvine Ave (both large main streets) are where you would WANT to be, but are out of your price range unfortunately. You might be able to find a major fixer-upper in the 600k range (ridiculous right?) but prices on eastside are just nuts. I am raising 3 kids here and love it, but now adays its so cost prohibitive for younger couples, which is a shame.

Many of the negative things you are hearing are true, but also on what is termed 'westside'. Now I have friends who happily live there and some schools (like Victoria Elem.) are academically doing quite well but do have a much more diverse population....lets face it NB is pretty white bread. Sorry to be so un-PC but its the truth. I suggest you come and drive around. If you like the more organized and uniform look of planned comunities then Irvine, Aliso Viejo Laguna Niguel, Mission Viejo are the ways to go. If you like more visual variety oin your home style and neighborhoods parts of Huntington Beach, San Clemente may be better for your price range (not sure about schools though). Keep in mind many of the newer planned communities have either HOA dues or additional taxes called mello-roos...ask your realtor. Anyway, hope it helps. CM is a great place and almost like 2 very different cities in one. Come check it out!

Old 06-29-2010, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 7,264 times
Seriously??
I go back and forth between costa mesa and fountain valley all the time. My family lives in FV (and i was raised there) i lived in irvine last year (and have been affiliated with UCI forever now), and now live in costa mesa... honestly..
there isnt much difference between the three (irvine being the most different). Schools are what the parents make the kids get out of it. I went to the "wrong" schools in FV. Yes lived on the wrong wide of Euclid-- and getting a PhD now. My classmates (the ones in honors classes) pretty much all doing graduate work. Costa mesa, yes, it has mexicans and seedy places... but also TASTY food comes with that and NON CHAIN stores/restaurants!!! Definate bonus over irvine. Most things in irvine (95%) is chain oriented. Irvine/Aliso area is for those who enjoy live lives wrapped up in work and just work. (I was a wroked at a community bank there and got to encounter all sorts of irvine residents.. They are primarily concerned wtih appearances) You have to drive to newport just to get to a bar past 9 pm on a sunday. Entirely unwalkable. Its meant for worker zombies to shell out a lot of money on cost of living. Id say go to FV or Costa mesa... just for cost of living/entertainment reasons.
If you want to know what its like to live in Irvine/Aliso, i suggest watching the intro song to "Weeds". Its odd, but really hits the nail on the head. It is indeed all made out of ticky tacky.
http://vodpod.com/watch/1758356-litt...es-weeds-theme

Old 06-30-2010, 10:27 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,255,324 times
What's with the hate of South County? Irvine and Aliso are for working class zombies? When did great schools and low crime become bad things? Aliso and Irvine are perfect cities for someone raising a family. They aren't as "active" during the evenings as other areas of OC, but if you're into that, go to Laguna Beach, Newport, or Dana Point, and then drive back. They are all only 15 minutes away.

Costa Mesa isn't bad, but it is grungy, and some parts of the city are basically Santa Ana (i.e - Lots of crime, bad schools, ugly neighborhoods).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County