Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 02:27 PM

18 posts, read 116,561 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm wondering how long it will take to commute between Irvine and Cerritos (living in Irvine and working in Cerritos). I'm sure the timings of work could be a bit flexible but don't know by how much.

Are there other good, safe places with good schools that would be within commutable distance from Cerritos that would fit a 110k income and an approx 600k housing budget (3/2 townhome)?

How would Rancho Palos Verdes, El Segundo, Seal Beach, Huntington Beach and Newport Beach be for the above criteria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 03:07 PM

41 posts, read 146,532 times
Well, traffic is MUCH better going north from Irvine to Cerritos in the morning rather than vice-versa. I live in the Mission Viejo area, and when I come home on the 5 fwy from a day visit to family in Buena Park (just a few minutes from Cerritos), I rarely see traffic...even at 6:00 pm. Without traffic, you are looking at a 20-30 minute commute. In other words, LIVING in Cerritos and working in Irvine means bad traffic.

Rancho Palos Verdes...too far and expensive, in my opinion -- different from the center of OC (Irvine).

Huntington Beach...most areas too far from freeway -- lots of stop and go lights just to get to the 405 to the 605, which takes you into Cerritos.

Seal Beach...seems quaint and very beach-community-ish...don't know too much but it's about 10-15 minutes to Cerritos with no traffic (don't know about traffic on the 605/405 interchange area).

Newport Beach...lovely but VERY OC -- still don't know too much about that area and more freeways you'd have to traverse to get to Cerritos (which means more bad traffic opportunities).

Maybe check into Los Alamitos, near Seal Beach. Nice areas in La Mirada and Whittier, too. This area is weird...great neighborhoods in one place with great schools...drive 3 blocks and it's bad. But, Irvine is overall great with good schools.

You might want to consider if you want LA County or Orange County. Cerritos is in LA County (border of OC and LA counties) and has nice areas too--most areas have a nice area somewhere in So Cal. I grew up 5 minutes from Cerritos and did just fine.

I'd stick with Irvine...and depending on where you live now, the freeway system here can be a huge eye opener for you -- what seems like great traffic to me may be horrible to someone else...just to drive one hour north of where I live, I'd end up taking 5-8 different freeways...

Good Luck.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:18 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp33 View Post
Maybe check into Los Alamitos, near Seal Beach. Nice areas in La Mirada and Whittier, too. This area is weird...great neighborhoods in one place with great schools...drive 3 blocks and it's bad. But, Irvine is overall great with good schools.
Look at Cypress too. I know a guy that moved out here from MD to work in Santa Fe Springs (605 exit Telegraph Rd. East) and he bought a townhouse in Cypress. Commuting to Cerritos would be even easier and you could avoid freeways altogether.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:54 PM

41 posts, read 146,532 times
Yes! Cypress would be great, also -- some really nice neighborhoods. You wouldn't even have to get on a freeway to commute to Cerritos.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:39 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,780,761 times
Just to echo another poster on how traffic moves in Huntington Beach, it has been a few years since I have driven through there, but outside of driving (well, crawling is more like it) down Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood heading to the 5 Freeway during rush hour, I have never, ever encountered a more frustrating drive in any city in California than on the streets of Huntington Beach. The lights are very poorly synched and it feels like a week before you are able to get out of there. So avoid that place and think about some of the other suggestions people have made. Cypress, depending on what the neighborhoods are like there nowadays, could be good for you.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:55 AM

18 posts, read 116,561 times
Default Huntington Beach

Thanks for the replies, everybody.

How about places in Huntington Beach closer to 405? I was looking at the Circle View Elementary school and it has rave reviews.... it is located at 6261 Hooker Dr... is living in this school district and commuting to Cerritos going to be nightmare? The townhomes in this area seem to be within my reach and the area seems safe and nice.... just curious....

Old 06-04-2007, 05:51 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaks View Post
Thanks for the replies, everybody.

How about places in Huntington Beach closer to 405? I was looking at the Circle View Elementary school and it has rave reviews.... it is located at 6261 Hooker Dr... is living in this school district and commuting to Cerritos going to be nightmare? The townhomes in this area seem to be within my reach and the area seems safe and nice.... just curious....
That shouldn't be too bad. You'd be going against traffic for the most part. The 605 and 405 through that area is worst going south in the morning and north in the evening.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:55 PM

38,862 posts, read 22,849,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp33 View Post
Yes! Cypress would be great, also -- some really nice neighborhoods. You wouldn't even have to get on a freeway to commute to Cerritos.
Someone else already mentioned Los Alamitos, which is the city bordering Cypress to the west. This is also a nice area. Driving from either city to Cerritos will be a piece of cake. As mentioned above, you wouldn't even need to get on the freeway.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:11 PM

97 posts, read 578,871 times
Default good areas

Cypress has many great neighborhoods that are comparatively affordable versus Seal Beach, Huntington and Los Alamitos. For my money, I'd check out across the county line in east Long Beach. Anything east of Clark would be a straight shot on surface streets to Cypress. I live by Cal State Long Beach and aside from the airplanes, find it very quiet and comfortable. Check out zip 90815. It's hard to talk about median prices because the houses can be large, customs or small, 2/1's built in the 40's. A nice smaller home should go for around $480-530k and up now that prices are down a little.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:05 PM

119 posts, read 881,025 times
Irvine to Cerritos is not a fun ride at all. It can be done If you use the Riverside Frwy (CA 91) East to the Santa Ana Frwy (I-5) South. Altrnative(sp error) are take the San Gabriel Frwy(I-605) South to the San Diego Frwy south takes you to Irvine.

Freeways in LA county are generally behind in construction than in Orange County because of Caltrans money typically goes for MetroRail and the MTA Buses and municipal transit agencies. You may find out about MetroLink:Metrolink :: Welcome. Rail may better option there a MetroLink station in Norwalk on Imperial Hwy a half to 3/4 mile east of Bloomfield Ave. There a Metrolink rail station in Irvine on Barranca Parkway about 1/2 mile from The Santa Ana Frwy (I-5) at the Alton Parkway exit (exit 94 and 94 b)Its in the Irvine Spectrum area.

If you live in West Irvine There a station in Tustin on Edinger Ave at Jamboree Rd just south of The Santa Ana Frwy(I-5) in Tustin.

I hope that at this help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County