Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2012, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 4,724 times

Advertisements

I like Southwest Omaha. Really, my experience and interest revolves around Millard. I first moved from my hometown of Lincoln to the neighborhood around 156th and Harrison. Then, I moved to my current apartment at Westport on the Lake Apartments by 144th and F. I recently got a promotion at my job and decided that I could find even cheaper living to be able to put more of my new income into savings.

Now, I've expanded my apartment search from 68137ish-68127ish. I'm currently looking at Thomasville, Briarwood, Cimarron Hills, Citadel, Rock Creek, Meadows Park, or any other places any of you can think of in that area.

Here's what I want my budget to be: I'm currently making about $1800/month. I want to spend no more than $600 on rent alone, and would prefer a place where the utilities paid by resident don't make the total rent + basic utilities exceed $650ish. Cimarron Hills has new renovated apartments where you only pay electric and it ends up being about $650. I pay nearly $850 where I am now. My plan is to put that extra $200 away per month. But there's a catch. There's always a catch.

I don't want to sound snobby or snooty, but I grew up in the upper-class far southeastern portion of Lincoln and have always lived in generally "nice-looking" places. I'm not trying to brag or anything, since I really am not that rich, I've just grown accustomed to an upper-middle/lower-upper class lifestyle that I'm trying to somewhat uphold but also save money to pay off student loans. So some of you might be asking "so why would you ever be looking at Cimarron Hills, then?" to which I reply, "GO LOOK AT THEIR NEW RENOVATED UNITS."

Give me some advice: Where to go, what one pays there, what the place is like, etc. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 09:21 PM

817 posts, read 1,781,560 times
Honestly I would try and find a place close to where you work (wherever that is). Not only will commutes then be a non-issue, but you could walk or ride a bicycle on nice days. Even with a slightly higher rent you would still come out ahead due to lower fuel usage and less wear on the car. Americans can spend up to a third of their income on their car, with the average being around 15-20% which is just insane. Also many in Omaha have commutes of 20+ minutes, that's 40 minutes a day wasted doing nothing (68137 has an average commute time of 20.1 minutes, and 68127 17 minutes).

If you are serious about saving, the income level should not be that important as long as it looks nice. There are many cheap places on the east side that still look very nice and if you happen to work on the east side why not live there as well.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,724 times
Thank you for the reply, but all of the communities I've listed are a (personally) workable distance from my future place of work (144th & Harrison). So gas is already in the budget.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:07 PM

817 posts, read 1,781,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholeintheozone View Post
Thank you for the reply, but all of the communities I've listed are a (personally) workable distance from my future place of work (144th & Harrison). So gas is already in the budget.
Looking at google maps there are some apartments just south of Harrison within blocks of 144th.There are also some apartments north by stony brook blvd. Not sure if they would match your "upper-class" taste or not, but it's a place to live that's close.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:29 PM

704 posts, read 1,883,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholeintheozone View Post
I like Southwest Omaha. Really, my experience and interest revolves around Millard. I first moved from my hometown of Lincoln to the neighborhood around 156th and Harrison. Then, I moved to my current apartment at Westport on the Lake Apartments by 144th and F. I recently got a promotion at my job and decided that I could find even cheaper living to be able to put more of my new income into savings.

Now, I've expanded my apartment search from 68137ish-68127ish. I'm currently looking at Thomasville, Briarwood, Cimarron Hills, Citadel, Rock Creek, Meadows Park, or any other places any of you can think of in that area.

Here's what I want my budget to be: I'm currently making about $1800/month. I want to spend no more than $600 on rent alone, and would prefer a place where the utilities paid by resident don't make the total rent + basic utilities exceed $650ish. Cimarron Hills has new renovated apartments where you only pay electric and it ends up being about $650. I pay nearly $850 where I am now. My plan is to put that extra $200 away per month. But there's a catch. There's always a catch.

I don't want to sound snobby or snooty, but I grew up in the upper-class far southeastern portion of Lincoln and have always lived in generally "nice-looking" places. I'm not trying to brag or anything, since I really am not that rich, I've just grown accustomed to an upper-middle/lower-upper class lifestyle that I'm trying to somewhat uphold but also save money to pay off student loans. So some of you might be asking "so why would you ever be looking at Cimarron Hills, then?" to which I reply, "GO LOOK AT THEIR NEW RENOVATED UNITS."

Give me some advice: Where to go, what one pays there, what the place is like, etc. Thanks!
Here's my advice. Rather than posting on a msg board and asking complete strangers questions that they are unlikely to know the answer to. You could actually call the places you are interested in and ask their managers what their rates are, and if they pay utilities or not. Heck, if you are phone adverse and just prefer to look online, I'm sure all these places would have contact info online where you could get info.

I just don't understand how this question fits on a forum like this? It's like earlier today when I saw someone post on Facebook to ask people on there if they need to register to vote again after they move. You've clearly got an internet connection, go to their flippin' website. RIGHT !?!

Old 10-05-2012, 10:01 AM

124 posts, read 310,638 times
I kind of have to agree with dsrich.

I mean yes, previous tenants can share their experiences and opinions (not to mention it can vary WIDELY person to person, I lived at the Citadel apts for awhile and they were okay, other people have said they were amazing, others have said they were awful), but you won't know you like something until YOU go and look at it. My advice? Call around, nix off any places too expensive, and then make a list of those that are still a go and set up an appointment to view. It's what people did before the internet and they seemed to get along pretty fine.

Last edited by sakuda; 10-05-2012 at 10:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha