Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 08:33 PM

817 posts, read 1,769,010 times

Advertisements

I just visited 2 of the 4 locations for omaha's b-cycle program. The one by aksarben village had just 2 bicycles in it while the one on 67th and pine was almost full. Sadly so far they are clustered around the aksarben village area only with one at UNO. It would be nice to see these in and around the old market area as well.

Omaha B-cycle | Omaha Bike-Sharing Program | B-Cycle | bcycle.com

The program went live on Wednesday (15th).

photos from the launch
B-Cycle Launch - June 15, 2011 | Facebook
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 10:52 PM

906 posts, read 1,809,786 times
I imagine they are clustered around Aksarben so people can ride them on the Keystone trail. Too bad they don't have a location downtown, though.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:25 AM

I'm not sure of their reasoning, but I do know they are planning to expand this system like mad in omaha now. By next summer don't be surprised if we have more than 15 or 20 stations scattered all over town. From how local organizers are talking omaha could quickly be one of the top cities with the most b-cycle stations in the nation.

Also they have 5 station as of now, not the 4 I mentioned.

The bikes are rather nice with a front hub generator for the lights, and a rear 3 speed IGH. They have a large front basket and another nice feature popular in eastern Europe are the skirt/coat guards on the rear wheels, I happen to own a bike with all these features and they make great trouble free commuters.

I may just pay early to support this program and use them when I am out that way. Save some wear on my bike that way.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:15 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,188,199 times
I figured they were centered at Aksarben because Blue Cross Blue Shield is the primary sponsor.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:16 AM

Not directly connected with the bike share, but The bike parking at the CWS has been a hit this year. From what I hear, Saturday alone there were 100 bikes parked at greenstreet by people headed to the event. I am still waiting on Sunday numbers but they sound almost as good. I just KNOW people will find ways to complain about it but look at it this way, those were 100 less cars looking for parking. Not to mention the savings in exhaust emissions.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:50 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Wow, what a great thing you're instituting this bike program. It's very progressive -- a boon to the environment and encouraging good health practices. Congratulations, Omaha!

Old 06-23-2011, 04:08 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
It makes me leery to go riding somewhere...unsure if there will be one available when I want to come back. But if I'm just looking for recreational lunch time ride, it's a great idea.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
It makes me leery to go riding somewhere...unsure if there will be one available when I want to come back. But if I'm just looking for recreational lunch time ride, it's a great idea.
And that's why they are looking to expand. These type of programs are insanely successful all over the world so they clearly work. If your local station is empty you can either wait for a bike to return or walk a block or two to the next station. You can check for availability at any station. I used the one at aksarben village to check availability at each station in Omaha. Was kinda neat.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:41 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
And that's why they are looking to expand. These type of programs are insanely successful all over the world so they clearly work. If your local station is empty you can either wait for a bike to return or walk a block or two to the next station. You can check for availability at any station. I used the one at aksarben village to check availability at each station in Omaha. Was kinda neat.

I agree--it sounds like a good idea...it'll be interesting to see how it works.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:48 AM

In other cycling news..

I have found out the plan is to turn Harney street from it's start in the east all the way to 40th into a livable street. It will be reduced to 2 or 3 lanes and will get a separated 2 way bike path. LOTS of landscaping will be done to improve this area and make it more attractive to live and work on or near.

It also looks like I am going to get my wish with s24th street as the plan it to install some sort of bicycle lane from 24th and L all the way past the North Omaha business district. The map simply shows a yellow line and I think that is for bike lanes. Would be nice if they could extend that lane down to Q street to assist in getting through the south Omaha business district.

The PDF I got this from was dated 4/7/11 so this is still fairly new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: