Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 04:57 PM

8,051 posts, read 10,646,271 times

Advertisements

I almost had a job transfer to Oklahoma about two years ago, but it fell through, and we are back in North Carolina where we have family and familiarity. But it's still not "home". And things have changed here - not for the better. I haven't found my final place to put down roots yet. I still may have the potential to relocate to Oklahoma and I would like to know:

What, to you, makes Oklahoma feel like "Home"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 06:00 PM

Location: Where deer are milk cows and hoot owls are chickens and near where Big Foot is occasionally seen.
105 posts, read 397,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
What, to you, makes Oklahoma feel like "Home"?
It has to be the memories that makes Oklahoma home to me Montanamom. Having been raised up here in a small southeastern Oklahoma town, it is the simplest of things I remember as a kid, to the most traumatic events that a person could imagine, all of which made a lasting impression on me. There are places that are more beautiful, have higher standards of living, more progressive in almost every measure you can think of, but there is no other place that holds the memories I have been given from having lived in this place and that is what makes it home.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:27 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,659,217 times
Because I was born in Oklahoma and wasn't born with an adventurous spirit that directed me to leave this awful state. I'm just a boring homebody quite befitting this state.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:30 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,793,085 times
Well, here's a different perspective for you. I moved from NJ almost two years ago to Mustang, OK. So obviously, there are not very deep roots for us yet, but it still feels like "home."

Recently, I drove to NJ with my son who is moving there. The further we got from OK, the unhappier I became. The traffic was worse, the noise was louder, the cities more congested, the sun not quite as bright. More clouds and dreary weather. I left from Philly airport on a pouring-down-rain Tuesday morning. I arrived in Detroit to no rain, but clouds. I arrived in OKC to sunshine, a quieter airport, wide open spaces and fresh air.

I was home.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:19 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,513,111 times
Wow, I could go on and on with this question. Here are few reasons Oklahoma feels Home to me:

1. Strong family roots and successive generations tied to being an Okie
2. Beautiful/Pleasant People and Culture (Native American/Cowboy mixed with Southern.)
3. Food, Food, Food (Fried Okra, Mouth-Watering BBQ, and Pecan Pie....does it get any better?! = probably explains my exaggerated waistline.)
4. As the username implies: Landin' a Largemouth or Channel Cat in a farm pond
5. Red Dirt
6. Along with the red clay, Red Dirt Music (Cross Canadian Ragweed and Stoney Larue, for instance)....Crankin' up Haggard in my truck while driving around town
7. Bible-Belt to the core....a culture dominated by the teachings of Jesus and many people who actually live it out

Old 11-04-2009, 03:42 PM

141 posts, read 330,333 times
I was raised here in northeastern Oklahoma and stayed. I grew up with a great, large family that gathered every Sunday for dinner. I had the life they write about in books and television shows. I was lucky enough to grow up on the Arkansas river, and we had acres and acres of land and water to roam around on. I fished and hunted and played in caves and slept with my window up and the door unlocked and camp-outs were further away than our backyard. My family and closest neighbors were my best friends. I was one of the boys. If one of us were getting in trouble it was a community event. We worked in strawberry fields and raised show pigs and cattle. Friday night football was big!!!!!! Still is. I chose to raise my kids in a larger school and we still live in the country and have animals. Love my kids school events and nothing can beat the way my community pulls together for everyone. I don't just love my state I love its people.

This state is wonderful. The schools. The country. The cities. The people are warm, kind, generous, fun, and I would like to believe the majority put Christ first (this is only my opinion). We have our flaws but the way of life here is worth it to me. I hope all my children stay here when they grow up.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:58 PM

3 posts, read 8,602 times
I moved to Virgina 6 years ago. I hate it. I would in a heartbeat go back to Oklahoma. The family, the memories, the wide open spaces. I could just cry thinking about it. When I go home to visit, I get excited from the first sight of Oklahoma license plates.

I want so much to go home. Someday I will, I refuse to grow old in this horrible horrible place.

Okie for Life

Old 11-04-2009, 04:21 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,273,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Well, here's a different perspective for you. I moved from NJ almost two years ago to Mustang, OK. So obviously, there are not very deep roots for us yet, but it still feels like "home."

Recently, I drove to NJ with my son who is moving there. The further we got from OK, the unhappier I became. The traffic was worse, the noise was louder, the cities more congested, the sun not quite as bright. More clouds and dreary weather. I left from Philly airport on a pouring-down-rain Tuesday morning. I arrived in Detroit to no rain, but clouds. I arrived in OKC to sunshine, a quieter airport, wide open spaces and fresh air.

I was home.
I moved here from Riverside California, right in the middle of socal desert/valleys a bit over a year ago. I wanted out of there and to a place with open land, people who were friendly and less stress but knew it would be an adjustment. But a few months later, for Thanksgiving, I went back to visit. I notieced the crowds, could feel the stress all around me and smelled the smog. I couldn't wait to get home.

A year later, having seen a whole year, I truely feel like its home. I like the pace of life. Its me. I love that I know my neighbors but they don't have to know your whole life. I'm not Christian and nobody has had an issue. That happened in California. I love looking out my back door at my trees, and when I get to go to Stillwater or past that still am awed by the trees and open space. But there is just something here, some feeling that welcomes me, that I can't define. I would call it spiritual. I won't be going anywhere this year for the holodays, but in a way don't mind. But when I have made trips I just love getting home.

The other day I was riding with a friend to Walmart for shopping. It was cold and grey and yucky, but it felt comfortable. The greeter smiled. Everyone in the store was calm and just doing their thing. I felt as if I was home since it has become my home. I wouldn't move back to California, but have no desire to find some other place with the requirements either. Maybe I'd move further out of town but even that is not a big deal.

I remember my first thunder storm here, been afraid of them for a long time. I hid in the bedroom with the cat. Last one I slept through, even went to sleep when the thunder was booming.. Some would say the dependable weather in socal is perfect, but I love the variety and the seasons, feel so much more connected to earth and the elements this way.

I can't say I'm a local, but I will say I'm home and likt things just like they are.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:51 PM

8,051 posts, read 10,646,271 times
Wow, thanks for these wonderful replies and observations. I emphasize with some of you about going back to where you left. I grew up in the suburbs of Washington D.C (Montgomery
County, Maryland). Whenever I go back to visit that friends and family who still live there, I can't wait to leave - I just can't breathe with all that congestion, over development, and traffic mess. I grew up there, but you couldn't pay me to live there again, I truly don't know how people can stand it.

In that respect, I am happier here in a small town in North Carolina. But like I said, things are changing, and my curiousity about Oklahoma remains. Your responses make me feel like I need to pay a visit soon. Thanks again!

Old 11-04-2009, 05:51 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,992,704 times
I was born in Oklahoma.

I've lived in several other countries......I've lived in several other states......and loved doing it. But Oklahoma is that well worn set of boots that fit just right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma