Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 01:20 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,754,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
It's simply because so many Oklahoma Republicans strongly believe it's wrong and immoral to turn to government for help. Instead, people overwhelmed by disaster, or poverty, should get voluntarily given private aid from people.

The good Senator isn't rejecting aid for Moore now. It appears that need is always self-centered.

Quote:
Coburn opposed the Sandy relief bill because it wasn't offset by budget cuts elsewhere. He hasn't made similar demands after the Moore tornado, saying only, "As the ranking member of the Senate committee that oversees FEMA, I can assure Oklahomans that any and all available aid will be delivered without delay."
Oklahoma senators change tune on disaster relief- MSN Money

Because if Oklahomans believe that, and an overwhelming wrote their Senators and Representatives to not accept any Federal aid for the Moore disaster, I would certainly think it foolish, but I'd have a helluva lot more respect for the "pull yourself up by your own bootstaps" political philosopy. Right now it just appears good for someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 01:19 AM

11,531 posts, read 30,372,267 times
OK is OKAY. Don't let anyone tell ya different.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:35 PM

5,549 posts, read 9,547,310 times
The answer to "Why do you still live in Oklahoma?" is short yet profound: Because these Okies are some of the most quality folks that you'll find on God's green earth. I'd put Okies up against anybody.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:44 PM

778 posts, read 2,329,705 times
I think Eddie glen hit in right on the head: people who live OUTSIDE of OK are more fearful of tornadoes than people here that actually have to deal with them. Its actually been rather comical to read some of the posts on here or comments on some news sites.

As far as why I live here? I've been pretty open that when I first came to OKC I was planning on keeping my time short here. However something happened, I really came to like this area. Everything I can think of: Great opportunities, low COL, appreciation for entrepreneurship, and as an extent, a high regard for local and small businesses, two up and coming mid sized cities, underrated cultural attractions (Plaza District in OKC, Cains in Tulsa, etc.), wonderful FOOD, and a surprising array of natural diversity.

But the best thing by far is the people here. Warm, genuine. I wasn't here during 4/19/1995 or 5/3/1999, so this past week has been my first experience of the "Oklahoma Standard." Even though I am not personally affected, it has nearly brought me to tears to see the outpouring from the community. I have never been a part of something like this, and I don't think I've ever been prouder to be a part of this state.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:23 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,354,607 times
When I was younger, I spent a good deal of my time in the state trying to figure out how to get out of Oklahoma. The politics and religious views (in general) are 180 degrees apart from mine. I thought of Oklahoma as too "dead-ended." Too provincial. And I detested (well, I still do) the Summer heat and humidity.

I have done a lot of Oklahoma-bashing in my time.

And I've gotten to experience the rest of the country and even a few other countries outside the USA, and have been fortunate to do so. No regrets there.

But my most recent return to Oklahoma was just back before Thanksgiving last year, after almost four years in Portland, Oregon and eight years total away.

Maybe it's me getting mellower...maybe it's partially the fact that we moved back when it wasn't so freaking hot...but my attitudes towards the state have changed a lot for the better.

Weather aside, what can a person considering becoming an Oklahoman expect? On the positive side, that is...

For one, even though the central part of the state is largely plains and pretty flat and uniform, there really is a lot of topographical diversity, from the Wichitas to the Ouachitas to the Ozark foothills to the Black Mesa. It runs from a very Southwestern, desert-type landscape to very lush with rolling hills.

For another, the skies. I've never experienced the like anywhere else. So vast. The sunrises and sunsets are like a gift...you can see all the amazing colors--pink, grey, blue, orange, violet--recede on for miles and miles. And the cloud formations can become unlike anything I've seen anywhere. At night it's easy to get out in the country where the stargazing is just unparalleled. The storms, too. The best thunderstorms you can find, if that's your thing.

Finally, the people. I do believe in some sense that people are the same in really significant,. fundamental ways from place to place and culture to culture. We all mostly want the same things...we want our kids to be happy and healthy. We don't want to have to worry about food and shelter. We want some togetherness with our neighbors. We aren't any group of us all that different from any other group in a lot of ways.

But overall the people here really are salt-of-the-earth, shirt-off-their-back kind of folk. Unpretentious, kind, solid.

So, beyond the relatively low cost of living and population density from place to place within the state, there is a lot to recommend Oklahoma, and I haven't even covered many of them here.

There. There's my sales pitch.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,699 times
I find the fact that they want to rebuild wooden houses which are in danger of getting destroyed again and possibly endangering thier familes absurd!

Old 05-30-2013, 08:35 PM

641 posts, read 1,078,941 times
Wood or reinforced concrete, in an F5 it won't matter. My house has stood in Oklahoma for almost 100 years, and will for another 100 years I think. Tornadoes are not actually that great of a risk, despite what you think or have read.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:33 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,266,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deon99 View Post
I find the fact that they want to rebuild wooden houses which are in danger of getting destroyed again and possibly endangering thier familes absurd!
This was the school in Greensburg KS. It was make out of rock and brick with very thick walls. My house was built in 1927 and has never been hit by a tornado. Very few aboveground structures can withstand the fury of an EF5 Tornado. They have a very powerful punch.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:53 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,339,964 times
I don't mean any disrespect, I really don't, but the question "why do you still live there" is an understandable one. Heck, we visited the Ft Smith ARK area in February & the areas of OK near there, on the way back, I had been saying "hmm, maybe not a bad area to live." After this--heck no. You couldn't PAY me to live there (nor Ft Smith either, once I subsequently saw it's part of the tornado alley itself).

I want to live somewhere where you don't have to put up with this sort of thing. I want somewhere where you don't have tornadoes OR wildfires OR hurricanes OR earthquakes OR blizzards OR ice storms--ANY of it, EVER. I consider storms just out & out harassment. I know, there isn't such a place, but there are places where the likelihood is lower. Arizona is a good example. Yes even AZ can get a tornado, but let's be real, the odds of it are extremely remote. Some small patches of it can experience wildfires on occasion, but many times they're started by human activity (not putting out a campfire etc). The idea of something like this you have no means to stop whatever, happening so often--no thank you. It's just outrageous frankly. People shouldn't have to live like that.

Don't get me wrong, I understand liking the people & such, in my case I found people in AZ to be sort of aloof & distant. My wife's own co-workers wouldn't give her a jump start when her car's battery was dead ,and she had cables. They left her to fend for herself in the dark on a ghetto side of town. Heaven forbid you show up at someone's house without having made an appointment with their secretary first (in other words, you MUST MUST call first). Coming from NC during a period & in a culture where you could "drop in" on people & they were glad to see you, not angry that you intruded in their personal space without warning, I frankly was offended at how the AZ people were like that. If the OK people are like how I remember the NC people being, I can certainly understand the appeal.

But man, Mother Nature really needs to learn to just leave the people alone. They're minding their own business just trying to freaking live, they didn't ask for any of this to come barging into their existence. Gee whiz already. A person ought to be able to make a home & construct a life and not have to live in fear of this sort of thing.

LRH

Old 06-01-2013, 12:15 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,266,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
I don't mean any disrespect, I really don't, but the question "why do you still live there" is an understandable one. Heck, we visited the Ft Smith ARK area in February & the areas of OK near there, on the way back, I had been saying "hmm, maybe not a bad area to live." After this--heck no. You couldn't PAY me to live there (nor Ft Smith either, once I subsequently saw it's part of the tornado alley itself).

I want to live somewhere where you don't have to put up with this sort of thing. I want somewhere where you don't have tornadoes OR wildfires OR hurricanes OR earthquakes OR blizzards OR ice storms--ANY of it, EVER. I consider storms just out & out harassment. I know, there isn't such a place, but there are places where the likelihood is lower. Arizona is a good example. Yes even AZ can get a tornado, but let's be real, the odds of it are extremely remote. Some small patches of it can experience wildfires on occasion, but many times they're started by human activity (not putting out a campfire etc). The idea of something like this you have no means to stop whatever, happening so often--no thank you. It's just outrageous frankly. People shouldn't have to live like that.

Don't get me wrong, I understand liking the people & such, in my case I found people in AZ to be sort of aloof & distant. My wife's own co-workers wouldn't give her a jump start when her car's battery was dead ,and she had cables. They left her to fend for herself in the dark on a ghetto side of town. Heaven forbid you show up at someone's house without having made an appointment with their secretary first (in other words, you MUST MUST call first). Coming from NC during a period & in a culture where you could "drop in" on people & they were glad to see you, not angry that you intruded in their personal space without warning, I frankly was offended at how the AZ people were like that. If the OK people are like how I remember the NC people being, I can certainly understand the appeal.

But man, Mother Nature really needs to learn to just leave the people alone. They're minding their own business just trying to freaking live, they didn't ask for any of this to come barging into their existence. Gee whiz already. A person ought to be able to make a home & construct a life and not have to live in fear of this sort of thing.

LRH
First off, it is not in my DNA at all to leave someone stranded in a rough part of town or anywhere. I am always helping people, friends and stranger both. To me I would rather live in an area with exciting weather than put up with the kind of folks you just mentioned.

I have lived in and out of Oklahoma for most of my 50 years of life. I have only seen one tornado, it was at about 41st and Garnet here in Tulsa, about 1996. It never touched down and did no damage.

I was working up in northern Pennsylvania last summer, and got caught in a small tornado; I thought I was going to die! It started near Elmira, New York and crossed into Pennsylvania near Sayre. I pulled over to the side of the road and really thought my truck was going roll. I was looking for a ditch but the wind, rain and hail was so intense I couldn't get the door open or see out my windshield. When the storm passed there were huge trees blocking the road about 300 ft up the road.

I guess the point of my story, is a tornado or any other natural disasters can happen anywhere. Tornados are practically unheard of up in Northern Pennsylvania, but yet this dumb Okie just about got killed in one! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma