Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 05:29 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Seems you took offense to that part of my post, some might post the opposite, where they were looking for a place that has a lot of diversity and different culture is important to them ....would that have bothered you as well? I am not making a judgment on that so no I don't consider it bad , it just is not the most important thing to our family.
Why would I be offended by someone I have never met, and most likely never will meet who "is looking for a place that has a lot of diversity and different culture is important to them?"...

I don't understand where that is coming from, perhaps you are looking for some drama. Maybe you were offended by my answer that we are not white only?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 05:32 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,822,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Why would I be offended by someone I have never met, and most likely never will meet who "is looking for a place that has a lot of diversity and different culture is important to them?"...

I don't understand where that is coming from, perhaps you are looking for some drama. Maybe you were offended by my answer that we are not white only?
?

Old 03-19-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
?
That means I am not offended by your post. It's cool, we are for the most part, friendly here.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:16 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,576 times
Quote:
I would like to hear , about Oklahoma, we have been looking at moving south for a while now, have mainly been focused on Texas and Alabama. I have been doing a little research on OK lately then lo and behold my wife has been reading a book from a Gal that lives in Ok & now is ready to come check it out. I am interested in any info about the state, we are in Western Wash and despise the weather and politics up here, some of our interests are.....First there is the obvious, we want to be where the economy is good for employment and business relocation ,yet homes are still relatively affordable. Would like to stay out of the threat of tornadoes,"is that possible in Ok". Do not want to be in a big city, or deal with heavy traffic. Things that are important to us: Very good schools, private,Christian, Military. Very good Football program. Water skiing. Horses. We are very family oriented. Acreage. Things that are not that important to us: diversity, night life, cultural sort of things. My experience with Oklahoma has been limited to driving across 40 at night. Appreciate any input thanks.
Well this is Oklahoma and we are kinda famous for our killer tornados. It would be like saying. I would like to move to Southern California but don't like earthquakes, or Tucson seems like a nice place but we don't like the heat. But with Tornados you get tons of warning. At least 4 or 5 hours before a tornado outbreak we are put under a Tornado Watch.

There is a city about 70 miles south of Tulsa that is all white called Henryetta. Its on I-40 so you may have already been through there. Not a lot of diversity or cultural, but just like most Eastern Oklahoma there is an NDN (indian) population. But most of them blend in so I don't think it will be much of a bother to you. It's a very Christian town, I don't even think they have Jews, Catholics or any other strange religions.

But if you have to go to Tulsa for shopping you will have to travel through Okmulgee. Okmulgee is very diverse and has culture since it is the home of the Creek (Mucoggee) Nation and has a pretty big African American community. But Okmulgee is only about 12 North of Henryetta so don't worry about stopping there to go to the bathroom or to get something to eat or drink since you have only been on the road less then 15 minutes.

About half way to Tulsa near the town of Beggs is a cute little place called Redneck Corner. I think you will find this place to your liking. They have all kinds of chilled soft drinks as well as little trinkets like corn cob pipes, varnished wood with cute little saying like "If Mama ain't happy, nobodys happy" and lot of dream catchers and animal carvings, beef jerky...

Once you get past Beggs then it on to Glenn Pool. There is a huge Super Wal-Mart and not much diversity or culture. There may not be any at all. About 5 more miles up the road is Jenks/South Tulsa. Tons of shopping and restaurants and its pretty much lilly white and very christian. In the heart of this area is Oral Roberts University. You will love this place. It kind of looks like a Bible theme park but without the rides or people having fun.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Well this is Oklahoma and we are kinda famous for our killer tornados. It would be like saying. I would like to move to Southern California but don't like earthquakes, or Tucson seems like a nice place but we don't like the heat. But with Tornados you get tons of warning. At least 4 or 5 hours before a tornado outbreak we are put under a Tornado Watch.

There is a city about 70 miles south of Tulsa that is all white called Henryetta. Its on I-40 so you may have already been through there. Not a lot of diversity or cultural, but just like most Eastern Oklahoma there is an NDN (indian) population. But most of them blend in so I don't think it will be much of a bother to you. It's a very Christian town, I don't even think they have Jews, Catholics or any other strange religions.

But if you have to go to Tulsa for shopping you will have to travel through Okmulgee. Okmulgee is very diverse and has culture since it is the home of the Creek (Mucoggee) Nation and has a pretty big African American community. But Okmulgee is only about 12 North of Henryetta so don't worry about stopping there to go to the bathroom or to get something to eat or drink since you have only been on the road less then 15 minutes.

About half way to Tulsa near the town of Beggs is a cute little place called Redneck Corner. I think you will find this place to your liking. They have all kinds of chilled soft drinks as well as little trinkets like corn cob pipes, varnished wood with cute little saying like "If Mama ain't happy, nobodys happy" and lot of dream catchers and animal carvings, beef jerky...

Once you get past Beggs then it on to Glenn Pool. There is a huge Super Wal-Mart and not much diversity or culture. There may not be any at all. About 5 more miles up the road is Jenks/South Tulsa. Tons of shopping and restaurants and its pretty much lilly white and very christian. In the heart of this area is Oral Roberts University. You will love this place. It kind of looks like a Bible theme park but without the rides or people having fun.
Wow.......... interesting,very descriptive, I believe Jenks has a very good Football program does it not?

Old 03-19-2011, 07:59 PM

I kind of like Boley, myself. I hope you don't mind people who vote Obama ...

All race and politics aside, we do have the highest lockup rate of women in the country. Not sure if that is good or bad though, considering the meth capital trophy may take a hit on that one. Geez, maybe those women were liberals... would that be a good thing? A bad thing? Or a butt ugly thang?

Old 03-19-2011, 08:13 PM

Jenks has a great football program.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
So does Alabama!

Old 03-19-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Wow , just checked them out....very impressive!

Old 03-19-2011, 08:46 PM

Only problem Jenks has is it nasty little tendencies to attract tornados. They have had several in the last few years. One was so bad it moved the whole city 7' north and caused a tsunami that engulfed the lower parts of the city. Somehow they managed to rebuild but if it happen once it could happen again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma