Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2010, 09:09 AM

11 posts, read 38,059 times

Advertisements

Want to move to okalhoma with my 4yr old daughter, am female in mid twentys and have grown up in a small country town in mn. I want a country town - or at least feel - and be surrounded by cowboys and horses? Please would really like help?? Heard west is where u find cowboys and ranches but also need a good town and safe??
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 09:27 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Guthrie might be OK. It has some nice ranch country along highway 105 east of there. Northeast of there on highway 33 is a big livestock sale barn. Over in the next county there is Norfolk Road near Yale and Cushing, an interesting area, if you don't mind the oil wells and tanks thrown in with the horses and cows. Oklahoma is one of the top states for raising horses, so your looking in the right state. Someone else might know where the heart of horse or cowboy country is in Oklahoma.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 12-07-2010 at 09:36 AM..

Old 12-07-2010, 09:44 AM

355 posts, read 818,393 times
Not real sure what your picture of Oklahoma is with cowboys and horses running rampant??? Several towns have small ( and some large ) ranches on them.

If by cowboys you mean alot of guys your age looking to date and live the social life whose family might have a horse or two, I'd recommend Stillwater and OSU.

If by cowboy you mean actual COWBOY who works cattle for a living and owns some horses then I'd recommend Woodward and NW Oklahoma. Beware though, NW Oklahoma is pretty desolate. You have Woodward and thats about it. You gotta drive hours to reach another decent sized town like Enid, or Guymon.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:01 AM

11 posts, read 38,059 times
Thank you. And yes I meant REAL cowboys, should I say ranchers so people dont get so upitty with the whole cowboy/drugstore cowboy thing?

Old 12-07-2010, 11:01 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,922 times
The area around Paul's Valley seems to be an area with lots of horse farms/ranches. It's an interesting area and it's not but an hour or so from Oklahoma City. I would also suggest Stillwater and maybe areas out around Weatherford.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:52 AM

355 posts, read 818,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonstss View Post
Thank you. And yes I meant REAL cowboys, should I say ranchers so people dont get so upitty with the whole cowboy/drugstore cowboy thing?
Na, I just get alot of the idealists out here in Pennsylvania who have a very backwards picture of "cowboys" and being "out west".

Just wanted to clarify what you were looking for .

Western Oklahoma is home to alot of cowboys, ranches, and cattlemen.

Weatherford, Woodward, Lawton......

Old 12-07-2010, 05:52 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,250,492 times
Vinita Okla has a lot of cowboys,ranches and a working stockyard and is only an hour NE of Tulsa via Will Rogers Trpk. They have a huge rodeo every year and even have a cowboy church/restaurant which is kinda cool.(kind of like Casa Bonita but western like Dodge City and a lot better food) the most popular vehicle in town is 3/4 ton pickup with cattle feeder attached. And these are not dime store cowboys these guys are the real thang. You see them in town with boots, spurs and dirty jeans and hat. On Saturdays they are cleaned up with new boots and heavy started shirt and jeans.

Vinita is just a few minutes from Oolagah and Grand Lakes. The Ozarks are just a county over and Vinita is half way between Joplin, MO and Tulsa. Vinita sits on Old Route 66 has a lot of cool shops and a real nice downtown and some pretty cool locally owned restaurants. One of them, Clantons has been on the Food Network show Drive Ins, diners and dives. Vinita really has the small town feel but close to the convenances of Tulsa or Joplin.

Oh and its only 22 miles from the Kansas line, so if you want to buy real beer its only a few minute away.

Last edited by okie1962; 12-07-2010 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: beer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma