Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 05:42 PM

5 posts, read 41,822 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a new member and this is my first post on here. I'll be moving to OKC in a few months. I want to buy a small condo or townhome and need advice on what neighborhoods or areas are safe and upscale so I know where I should begin looking.

There seem to be some reasonably priced condos near Lake Hefner and I really enjoy running/biking, but have no idea what the area is like or how safe it is.

I also heard Bricktown is a fun area, and I love upscale urban living. Also that Edmond is very nice and safe, but a little congested due to rapid growth.

Any opinions or recommendations would be very much appreciated

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 08:16 AM

77 posts, read 523,917 times
dwil- you happen to be in luck coming to oklahoma city for just about anything. Many former business buidings and highrises are being converted to aparments/condos the city is on a huge rise in culture/entertainment out the roof/nice people/decent traffic on and on. Districts-Midtown /Little Saigon/Downtown.brktown.deepdeuce/Flat Iron/Capitol hill/N.Okc/Edmond and many others. In Little Saigon there is a lot to see/culture/arts/university area. I would check out 'The Classen' there is a website for it(GOOGLE IT) it is extremely fat. It is a 20 story highrise condo. has food service 24hrs, a community monster look out/balcony on top for drinks skyline/condos have a great range of design and price/beautuful interior(obviously its all new)...This building is next to a former bank that is quite stunning-its a geodesic dome or whatever..its cool. Other great places to live are the Paseo arts district-great scene- all old stucco buildings/bars hippies/free thinkers/artists- brown townhouses can be found with pools-this is all near Little Saigon(asian district). Stay around all the districts within inner okc/capitol/downtown and culture/entertaiment/character is just a step away. Edmond is a short drive mid/high living suburb-a city of its own(it really is okc just like all the inner cities and metro because they are all spread out)-N.OkC has a huge area to work with also-but is less pleasing visually speaking. S.okc has been seeing a lot of growth and i have been told it has become a lot nicer. okc has a large amount of space/land/ so it is hard to tell you exactly where you would want to be- with a job in mind. good luck. google oklahoma city districts/oklahoma city website/Okc bricktown and so on. i dont know all the exact websites but they are easy to find.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:10 AM

77 posts, read 523,917 times
Oh - you mentioned lake hefner- much to see also. Many condos on the west side near this area. It has numerous restraunts/shops/bars. Cool marina where locals can rent sailboats and sail surfing. the lake recently brought a world renowned boat organization(cant remember). All of this is right on the lake. Miles of trails/a lot of people/a lot of fun/very safe. Try Red Rock Canyon Grill for great food and drinks/locals enjoy watching sailboats at night/the place is so close to the water. I would suggest a high rise overlooking the lake-its beautiful. I forget what the name is(hefner tower?). Also founders tower is so near you can get the same views/this is under construction for condos.

cheers

Old 03-21-2007, 06:46 PM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Running wise you could go downtown as has been suggested. Cycling wise I would go out to the lake Hefner area. Hefner is the focal point for most running and cycling groups in OKC.

Edmond and Norman have running and cycling clubs as well. If you are still under 30 you might like Norman. Edmond if you are married with children.

The Bicycle Store (on east Britton road) would be a good place to start (Buchanan Bikes in Norman). The Runner Store on north May in OKC and the Oklahoma Runner in Brookhaven Village in Norman would be your best bets for runners.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:50 AM

19 posts, read 185,666 times
About 115th and North is all safe and pretty clean. Near Quail Springs Mall is congested like Edmond but also pretty quiet big crime wise.

Everything else you listed is pretty much safe as well.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:34 PM

259 posts, read 1,072,513 times
Lake Hefner area would probably be my top choice- we lived in apts at both MacArthur & Britton as well as further north at MacArthur & 122nd. I felt safe in both places (although the closer you get to the NW expressway, the less "safe" it is).
There's quite a few townhomes in the area as well, a lot on water runoffs from Lake Henfer. Overall I just loved living near the lake, it's great to run and bike around plus you're close to all the good shopping, food, downtown, etc. there.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:42 AM

3 posts, read 24,606 times
Well I am new to the forum and nice to meet you! I have been looking for a safe area as well that is clean and affordable. Bricktown is nice but I am looking for something in Yukon which is just outside of Oklahoma City. I like how quiet the neighborhood is. The rent is comparable to downtown or maybe a bit less. Anyway, welcome to Oklahoma!!

Old 06-05-2007, 01:40 PM

26 posts, read 125,394 times
I would avoid NE OKC due to a lot of crimes lately. Most of the suburbs like Edmond and Yukon are pretty safe. I don't know much about downtown; I've been to Bricktown at night and it can be a little scary. I'm not sure how different that is with a lot of the newer lofts around.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:34 PM

1 posts, read 18,614 times
Default Safe Place

Edmond is a great place to live, lots of things to do. However, you heard right about the congestion. The traffic is a nightmare. If you choose Edmond there are some really nice condo's on 15th and Kelly, they might be on 15th and Santa Fe. Anyway, They are a gated community and in a very safe part of town. Just about all of Edmond is safe. You will find your property taxes a lot higher in Edmond than in OKC.

Bricktown is wonderful, and it's becoming the "in-place" to be. Lots to do, but be careful, some areas are not all that safe. Probably like most downtown places. I considered Bricktown while looking for a new place to live, but there just isn't much in the way of convenience. No gas stations close by and in a safe area, no grocery stores, etc...but, You would have a great place to party.

On the northwest side of Lake Hefner there are a lot of nice townhouses and condos. It's a beautiful lake, but no swimming or skiing. Just boating and fishing. A great place to ride bikes, walk, or skate. Wonderful restaurants on the lake. DO NOT go near 122nd and Hefner, or 122nd and Western or 122nd and Penn. These areas are not safe. Try to avoid Quail Springs Mall after dark unless you're with friends. Stay west and north of the Kilpatrick and you should be fine.

Hope this helps.
Okiegal
E=dwil75;478666]Hi,

I'm a new member and this is my first post on here. I'll be moving to OKC in a few months. I want to buy a small condo or townhome and need advice on what neighborhoods or areas are safe and upscale so I know where I should begin looking.

There seem to be some reasonably priced condos near Lake Hefner and I really enjoy running/biking, but have no idea what the area is like or how safe it is.

I also heard Bricktown is a fun area, and I love upscale urban living. Also that Edmond is very nice and safe, but a little congested due to rapid growth.

Any opinions or recommendations would be very much appreciated

Thanks![/quote]

Old 08-07-2007, 07:36 PM

10 posts, read 43,990 times
Thanks for all this info about OKC, although i'm not moving yet, i liked what i saw when in the city 2 months ago. My partner is originally from the panhandle and i think eventually we'll wind up moving there ( the city )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City