Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 06:22 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,947,335 times

Advertisements

I can assure you that people from Warren did flock to Howland over the last forty years and continue to do so if they have the means. You're right, almost all of the housing stock is suburban in nature, but you are wrong that it's 1950s suburbia. 1950s suburbia is much of the southeast (between Trumbull Ave and North Rd, northwest (off of N. Tod) and northeast (pretty much everything bordered by Elm Rd, Genessee, Atlantic and North Rd) sides of Warren.

Howland's housing boom started in the 60s and continued through the 2000s. There are very few new home starts in Trumbull County anymore, but Howland probably has the most. There are a few new home builds going in now off of Mines Rd. right now.

People with young children, or those wanting to start a family typically leave Warren and flock to areas like Howland, Bazetta, Champion and Cortland. One of my best friends grew up in Cortland and her husband grew up on Warren. They've lived on Oak Knoll SE for probably 15 years. Their daughter is at Harding and their son at Lincoln. They are looking to leave their neighborhood and either move to the northeast side or Cortland. Regardless of where they move they will continue to send their daughter to Harding, but their son will go to where ever their home district is. I have several friends that grew up on Cortland, moved to Warren because it was more affordable 10 or 15 years ago and now have moved back to Cortland. Another friend of mine lived on the northwest side in a 1950s ranch with four kids. It got too small. They moved back to Cortland and they're so much happier here.

Thinkalot is right, The Trumbull Country Club used to cost like $10k per year and was frequented by mostly affluent business owners, lawyers, etc. I know people that belong there now and they are lucky to make $50k/year combined. They must have really dropped their fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 08:21 PM

14,188 posts, read 22,784,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
We tried to purchase a house in W.Pittston - that was when we were denied the right to purchase because "you aren't from PA" and you "don't have local connections to a school or church".
Meanwhile, somebody I know from small-town south Georgia just bought himself a big house near Hershey.

Quote:
The closest I can get to a "PA feel" is Niles. It has a very working class vibe, connected, no doubt, to the steel industry.

While driving through Niles, (on 169) I noticed some shabby houses reminiscent of Wilkes-Barre. Rebel flags, and signs, too many old cars etc. The side streets were spotty.
Confederate Flag Love Still Super Strong In Ohio

Looks like Niles ain't the only place in Ohio like Wilkes-Barre, no?

Quote:
New Castle residents seem to speak with a strange dialect. They say something like "Your'inz" for all of you. What is that all about?

Was that part of PA settled by Hillbillies? There are also a huge number of fundamentalist churches, suggesting an influx of southern Holy Roller types.
Ohio has a higher percentage of white Evangelical Protestants than Pennsylvania does:

Ohio also has a higher percentage of Southern Baptists than Pennsylvania does:

Most Evangelicals in Pennsylvania are Lutherans, similar to what you'll find in states like Minnesota and Iowa. As for hillbillies, people called Akron "the capital of West Virginia" because of all the Appalachian people migrating there for work in the middle of the 20th Century.

Quote:
I know that Pittsburgh has really come up in recent years. I'd like to visit sometime. I have friends from college who live in the Philly suburbs and the mainline. I like that area, as well.

As far as the rest of the state? There is some beautiful scenery. I like the Poconos. But I'll sum it up as "a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there".
People who live in glass houses should not throw stones. Ohio outside of Cincinnati, Cleveland and Columbus is just as redneck as Pennsylvania outside of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:07 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,048,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Ohio outside of Cincinnati, Cleveland and Columbus is just as redneck as Pennsylvania outside of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.
True for Southeast Ohio, not true for the Northwest farmland. Two totally different regions, it shows how remarkably different two areas of Ohio can be, and we're comparing farmland regions.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:36 PM

484 posts, read 469,334 times
Bingo to the above poster. There are country folks in northern and western Ohio, but it's a totally different world than most anywhere below about Lancaster where you might as well be in West Virginia or Tennessee.
Rural does not equal redneck by any stretch.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:42 AM

1,342 posts, read 3,249,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmave View Post
Bingo to the above poster. There are country folks in northern and western Ohio, but it's a totally different world than most anywhere below about Lancaster where you might as well be in West Virginia or Tennessee.
I came across a newspaper article from an Ohio paper circa 1870 a few years ago, which I tried and failed to find again, but it stated about 15,000 ex-Confederate soldiers from Kentucky, West Virginia and other states had settled in southern Ohio.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:21 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,637,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmave View Post

One of the jokes in the eastern suburbs of Cincinnati, at least back in the 1980s and 90s, concerned the "Adams county crowd" that would frequent Eastgate Mall on the weekends.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:57 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,898,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_F View Post
Also love buying gas for about .50/gal less, milk about half as much, booze at ALDI, Walmart, etc. Really considering a move to the area; just need to find a modest little home in the sticks, and it's a done deal.
It's tempting. I went to the Covelli Center and had a great time. I wish Youngstown would get it's act together with downtown development...but then maybe traffic wouldn't be nonexistent! It's nice to get through a downtown in 5 min.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:27 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,396,963 times
Quote:
Yes. I feel the same way. There is a "Mid Western Nice" on our side.

Pennsylvania is very wary of outsiders. That general xenophobic vibe is easily felt. We lived in PA for almost three years. We were denied the purchase of a house because we were not "originally from PA".

Thank God... I LOVE OHIO!
Wow! I guess that part of PA isn't familiar with the history of the colony's founding. Kinda disgraceful if you ask me.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:12 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,739,798 times
Default Salem & Columbiana & Lisbon

Salem City Hall | Salem, Ohio | Official City of Salem Ohio Website

Columbiana Area Introduction Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-fUADEEwVo

Old 06-12-2016, 06:01 PM

392 posts, read 1,070,004 times
Traveling into Conneaut on Route 20 from West Springfield, PA is really no major difference. They just kind of blend together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio