Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2019, 11:31 AM

2 posts, read 2,460 times

Advertisements

Aloha!

We’re 90% certain that we’ll be moving from Chicago to Mililani Town in mid-2019. Our twins, boy and girl, will attend Mililani High School, starting in their Freshman year.

I’ve read a fair amount about school bullying across the board.

Is anyone able to comment on how strictly the DOE and Mililani High anti-bullying policies are enforced, specifically at Mililani High School?

Are threats being acted upon, or does it take a physical incident for the school to act?

I have searched and will search again. I’m simply posting for another opportunity to gain additional perspectives.

Thank you kindly for your responses! If additional info would help, please don’t hesitate to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 02:09 PM

62 posts, read 84,741 times
The complaints I hear in terms of bullying in Hawaii (in general) is usually race related. Whites are a minority in most towns and communities in Hawaii, and no matter how much you read about Hawaii being a multi-racial melting pot of peace and harmony there is still a feeling of tribalism in many communites. Society has come along way with battling racism, but it should be no surprise to anyone that humans tend to be tribal by nature, and minorities can feel the least welcome no matter where someone lives.

HOWEVER, with that said, Mililani Hawaii will feel like a different planet compared to whatever horrible problems you have faced in Chicago schools. I moved here from the mainland and have spent a fair amount of time in Mililani. I’m white, and Mililani is mostly Asian, so I’m definitely a minority in town. BUT, I have never once felt uncomfortable around others, nor have I seen any threatening situations in that town. It is a very nice, clean community with many neighborhood parks, and I’d probably move to Mililani if I were raising kids today.

Not the specific answers you wanted, but maybe this helps.

Last edited by oceanus; 02-19-2019 at 02:26 PM..

Old 02-21-2019, 10:44 AM

2 posts, read 2,460 times
Thank you, oceanus, for your insightful response. I feel the same way about the mainland in general; it isn’t so much a melting pot as it is different cultures simply living near to each other.

Our kids are Filipino/Norwegian/Chinese/Indian/Portuguese/black; the Filipino is easiest to identify. It isn’t always pretty to discuss, but I know that one’s appearance can dramatically affect daily life. We’re currently living in a 94% white, particularly affluent area. We aren’t particularly affluent, but we appreciate the privileges, like schools that have zero tolerance for even threats of physical violence. Our kids have been bullied (verbally) regularly for their entire school lives, and nobody likes it, but they can tolerate it. It’s the physical part that really concerns us.

Thank you again for your insight regarding Mililani. Your input is a valuable part of the overall mass of information about Mililani, which leans toward the positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: