Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 02:33 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,548 times

Advertisements

Another lawsuit over bullying. Have to admit the story about the poor Griffith girl was saddening.

Personally, bullying has been around ever since he second person popped up on the planet so it's definitely nothing new. Kids are a little soft nowadays. My recommendation (same one I gave to my sister in law when she was in high school and other girls were threatening her) beat the hell of em and take the 5 day suspension and they'll never bother you again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 08:51 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,488,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Another lawsuit over bullying. Have to admit the story about the poor Griffith girl was saddening.

Personally, bullying has been around ever since he second person popped up on the planet so it's definitely nothing new. Kids are a little soft nowadays. My recommendation (same one I gave to my sister in law when she was in high school and other girls were threatening her) beat the hell of em and take the 5 day suspension and they'll never bother you again.
People say that kids are a little soft these days...EVERY generation says that about the younger one...but what people fail to realize is that back in the old days, kids would say "Mom, I don't want to go to school because there is a bully"....now? the bully "follows them home" via Facebook, MySpace (for those who still use it) Twitter, anonymous blog sites, etc...bullying is now a 24/7 phenomenon. So these people saying that kids these days are soft NEVER had to deal with what the "kids have to deal with now...and many of these adults are teachers and administrators stuck in a 1950s mindset...but guess what? I would rather have lawsuits than massacres. "Back then" you can beat up the bully and everyone says "oohhh ahhhh" and then you are a hero and the bully goes away...these days, the bully comes back with a gun and blows your head into the next classroom.

The lawsuits seem silly. But in SOME cases, maybe embarassment is what a school corporation needs to take things more seriously.

Last edited by Northwest Indiana; 01-09-2012 at 09:01 PM..

Old 01-10-2012, 01:32 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:

So because it's been around forever means our society should just accept it as a status quo? If that were the case, we'd still be living in the dark ages or worse. If kids were soft nowadays, there wouldn't be bullies to begin with. Kids are killing themselves and others because they are pushed to their limits because of bullying. Dealing with bullying should not be a part of one's childhood. I get that there is some merit to teaching your child to be thick skinned, as my parents taught me to be, but the fact of the matter is that there are still monsters running around schools across the country terrorizing their classmates, and they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it because of the lax mentality of school officials. It's unacceptable, and as far as I'm concerned these lawsuits if nothing else send a clear message to teachers and administrators that this acquiescence to bullying will not be tolerated. Sure, some of the lawsuits may be frivolous, but that will be decided by the judge/jury.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:39 AM

Killing two birds with one stone here. No one said bullying is OK but the strong has always preyed upon the weak. That is part of human nature. Here's the thing about today's bullying. You can block people from sending you messages on Facebook, these people just don't do that and it's as simple as click click. The only true way to stop a bully is to stand up to them. Talking to the schools don't work, it's never worked.

As far as the bully coming back with a gun, it's rarely the bully you have to worry about. It's usually the bullied, you have to worry about when and where they will just snap and you end up with a Columbine or any other instance where these tragic events occurred.

Suing the school while may or may not be a waste of time, I feel is better served to get a true point across suing the parents of the bully.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:42 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Our school system recently settled a bullying lawsuit. Reading through the filing, it was sad to read what the girl went through at the hands of the bully AND his mother ... The school brushed it aside and became belligerent with the girls attorney ... I don't know, it was the bully's mother that really bothered me and it makes me wonder that it's not the kids that are soft as it is that the parents who refuse to believe that their children aren't perfect. The bullying is enabled by parents who refuse to discipline their own kids.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:50 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,488,415 times
Quote:
Killing two birds with one stone here. No one said bullying is OK but the strong has always preyed upon the weak. That is part of human nature. Here's the thing about today's bullying. You can block people from sending you messages on Facebook, these people just don't do that and it's as simple as click click. The only true way to stop a bully is to stand up to them. Talking to the schools don't work, it's never worked.

As far as the bully coming back with a gun, it's rarely the bully you have to worry about. It's usually the bullied, you have to worry about when and where they will just snap and you end up with a Columbine or any other instance where these tragic events occurred.

Suing the school while may or may not be a waste of time, I feel is better served to get a true point across suing the parents of the bully.
You can block people, but that doesnt mean people cant still say things about you. True, usually its the bullied you have to worry about but why does it even have to go that far?

Once again, people are saying "kids are so soft these days blah blah blah".....then when a kid puts a bullet through their child's head, we'll see who the "soft" ones are...

I was never bullied (nor anyone in my core group of friends) and we weren't the bullies either, but I have stood by before when people have been bullied by others and did nothing. And when I found out later just how bad this bullying affected some of these people, I felt like ***** about not doing anything to stop it. You might say "oh, it's not my responsibility" but I wouldn't agree. I am thankful that this individual did not kill themselves because of it because I would have been haunted.

So to all those saying that "kids are just soft these days" let's just see how soft you get when your child kills themselves from being bullied, or kills their whole class because they snapped...I know, I know "what are the chances?"...It's not a chance I would ever like to have. It's all very sad.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:45 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
I'm curious as to why Eldon Ready Elementary principal is part of the lawsuit? From the two stories I read in nwitimes.com it seems as if the bullying took place at the middle school.

This family lives a couple of blocks from where I grew up. I know the "bridge" that is mentioned in one article. Unless it's changed significantly in 30 years it's not what I would consider a life threatening fall into Cady Ditch.

The reasons behind the recent lawsuits are numerous and complicated--far too complicated to discuss here I suspect.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
You can block people, but that doesnt mean people cant still say things about you. True, usually its the bullied you have to worry about but why does it even have to go that far?

Once again, people are saying "kids are so soft these days blah blah blah".....then when a kid puts a bullet through their child's head, we'll see who the "soft" ones are...

I was never bullied (nor anyone in my core group of friends) and we weren't the bullies either, but I have stood by before when people have been bullied by others and did nothing. And when I found out later just how bad this bullying affected some of these people, I felt like ***** about not doing anything to stop it. You might say "oh, it's not my responsibility" but I wouldn't agree. I am thankful that this individual did not kill themselves because of it because I would have been haunted.

So to all those saying that "kids are just soft these days" let's just see how soft you get when your child kills themselves from being bullied, or kills their whole class because they snapped...I know, I know "what are the chances?"...It's not a chance I would ever like to have. It's all very sad.
Hindsight is 20/20. As far as my kids, no. My oldest who turns 17 this year already knows to never start a fight but if need be, to finish it. No he's not bullied and if I were to ever find out he was being a bully, the lesson, he'd learn would more than straighten him out as I'm pretty strict.

There does need to be greater measures taken. Does LC still do the scared straight? I remember when they used to take kids to Methodist emergency and have the kids watch as a drunk driving victim or a gun shot victim came in but that was years ago. Nothing wrong with a inner-city kid who happens to be a bully being taken to a prison (not lc jail) and see what it's really like and get educated about the system from people actually in there as to how it really is and how glorious it isn't. Nothing wrong with taking a suburban bully to the 'hood to let them realize there are a lot of people way harder than them walking around who would love to be in their place and enjoying the opportunities that doesn't exist for them.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,461 times
Terrible bullying cultural in La Porte Schools, especially Kingsbury Elementary. No wonder their is a meth epidemic - kids get pushed out of schools, feeling they are worthless after being excluded and put down (bullied) they become vulnerable. From what we've learned seems like the power hungry parents (groups) are behind the behavior. These parents are confused about the meaning of strength, teaching their kids to be tough instead of the most basic human behaviors like respect and thoughtfulness, We found [url]www.bulliedweather.com[/url] where bullies can be reported. New thing, think it might bring change. I'd like to interview the parents of all the kids that have died due to overdoses. Wonder what life was like for them at school?

Old 05-08-2017, 02:13 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times
Quote:

So you think the bully is the strong one? Pffft. One look at Facebook tells you how that long game played out.
Bullies=fat, bald, jerks
Bullied= successful, traveled, interesting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana