Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2010, 03:53 PM

197 posts, read 302,082 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I wonder if there is anybody who travel to work from Munster,IN to Bolingbrook, IL

My hubby got a job in Bolingbrook and we should plan to relocate in a near future.

What you prefer:
to travel to work 50 minutes each day and live in a nicer house, low taxes and good school district or 20 minutes to work but you can't have house because taxes are eating you out.

I would like to hear responses from men, who have children, and drive to work. Just from your point of view.

we live in chicagoland.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 07:13 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
50 minutes is a bit of a stretch .. I'd bet on over an hour to get to Bolingbrook from Munster. I completely understand the lure of NWI for cheaper taxes and more home ... heck EVERYTHING IS CHEAPER HERE! Basically, the only negative will be the commute and that's dependent on whoever is driving ...

Old 12-15-2010, 09:44 PM

197 posts, read 302,082 times
of course my husband will be driving. I will be sitting at home with our children.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:46 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Surely these aren't your only options?

Old 12-16-2010, 07:17 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times
While Munster as a town would fit your bill, the commute to Naperville will become hellish (especially in bad weather) There are towns that are much closer to Naperville, in decent school districts, and also more affordable than Naperville. I would check out Darien, IL. It has good schools and affordable housing relative to Naperville, Downers Grove, and Hinsdale. Yes, the taxes are still higher than in Munster, but the housing prices are also much more comparable to Munster than to Naperville.

The commute from Munster IS doable, but it is not for the faint of heart.

Last edited by Northwest Indiana; 12-16-2010 at 07:25 AM..

Old 12-16-2010, 09:24 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Yorkville and Plano would be a better commute!

Old 12-16-2010, 03:21 PM

320 posts, read 955,000 times
That's a bit of a rough commute from Munster.

I guess it depends on if you can afford Naperville or not, and if that is what you desire. A small town, farther out, may give you more bang for your buck, and you might not have to deal with Naperville problems. (unlike you want your life to resemble something from The Real Housewives" series....)

Old 01-10-2011, 02:25 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,527,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majka View Post
Hi,
I wonder if there is anybody who travel to work from Munster,IN to Bolingbrook, IL

My hubby got a job in Bolingbrook and we should plan to relocate in a near future.

What you prefer:
to travel to work 50 minutes each day and live in a nicer house, low taxes and good school district or 20 minutes to work but you can't have house because taxes are eating you out.

I would like to hear responses from men, who have children, and drive to work. Just from your point of view.

we live in chicagoland.

thanks
Don't do it!!! THe main draw for NWI for me would be escaping the income taxes but providing your husband is working in Bolingbrook he'll be paying IL income taxes anyway.

If you really want cheaper taxes on products, ciggs, gas, etc I would rather live near work nad take a drive out to NWI to pick up those items.

Bolingbrook is pretty reasonable in terms of home price and stuff. Heck even shorewood would be a much better choice. To most chicago burbs people shorewood is out there but really not bad of a drive to Bolingbrook, its a little more country bigger yards, etc although shorewood is building up these days.

Romeoville, Cresthill, Joliet, etc are all options as well if you pick the right parts but I would look out near Shorwood and surrounding burbs if your seriously considring NWI.

50 min drive maybe at 2am on a wed night. During rush hour in good conditions your lookning hour and fifteen minutes, catch a good snow and he's going to have a two hour plus commute home from work. Just to give you an idea of traffic last year I was training at an office in Deerfield I live in Aurora, took me 2.5 hours to get home with about a 4" snowfall.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:22 AM

5 posts, read 8,623 times
I had a friend with the same problem a few years ago. The commute wore down his car and his body over time and put a lot of stress on his relationship, especially when his commute times doubles and the job ended up be a bad idea. Be careful and make your decisions carefully.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:18 AM

6 posts, read 10,439 times
Default Still there?

Just saw this; I now live in Munster and commute to Naperville. I worked downtown for years and then was offered a great position out in Naperville, and we decided to give it a try before moving. I am glad we did not move to Nville. It is overall a great community, and has virtually everything you could want. But, it is so congested, and it is a relief to get out of here every day. My co-workers tell me the schools are fantastic, but there is a huge problem with hard drugs in their high schools. You are more just a number in Nville, which I do not like. I will suffer the drive and stay in Munster. The drive can be bad, but 355 is a blessing! Without 355, no way would I do this commute. It is worth it, although I would not mind finding a job closer to home, I do admit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana