Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2009, 12:41 AM

3 posts, read 9,739 times

Advertisements

I have been racking my brain trying to find us a place to live this summer. We will be moving in August before school starts. He will be working in Front Royal and is willing to commute to give us the house that we want for the right money, but is he being realistic in driving from say Culpeper or Martinsburg, WV? Keeping in mind he is driving over an hour to work now so he doesn't mind. But in FL we don't have ice and stuff. Does it get bad up there? I was raised in North Dakota so I know what BAD is, but I thought VA was pretty mild (meaning low teens with not much precipitation)
I was looking at Winchester, but I could get more house in say Martinsburg or Culpeper for less money. We have a bunch of kids (the mine, his and ours thing) so we need a big house and I don't want a huge payment.
Where would someone suggest we go to raise this brud of ours with my husband having a safe commute to work everyday. I don't know if one roadway out of Front Royal may be worse than another. He just doesn't want to drive over an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 12:55 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Driving from Front Royal to Culpeper is a breeze. You're out of the Northern VA traffic and you're generally looking at an hour give or take a few. Front Royal is still growing and there are some nice homes spread out in the area. You'll see more traffic in Martinsburg W Va based on my experiences with I 81. As far as the weather we've had almost no snow or ice the last several years. We'll still get some bad weather but fortunately it is far and few between. Whereabouts in Front Royal will he be working?

Old 04-19-2009, 04:33 PM

10 posts, read 56,393 times
I don't think that you need to move to Culpepper or Martinsburg, you will find great deals on homes with land in the Shenandoah valley! Like from Strasburg to Woodstock around Winchester or Front Royal.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:54 PM

My husband doesn't have the official word yet so I can't say, but he works for the government. Once the word comes we'll be making a trip up to see all this stuff in person. The internet is great, but in person will tell us so much more. Thanks to all that help us in this journey.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:07 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
If you haven't been here yet you'll be surprised at the overall beauty of the Front Royal area and the surroundings.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:17 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,981,722 times
Front Royal is beautiful, but honestly, if schools are important to you, I'd look someplace else.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:06 PM

Thank you for the info. We hope to be on a house hunting trip the beginning of June and I think we will be in the Winchester area. Seems to be more shopping and better schools. Is it about a 25 min drive from there to Front Royal?

Old 05-02-2009, 09:43 PM

254 posts, read 789,990 times
Default Moving from FL

We just moved here as well last year due to my DH's job at Front Royal. This forum helped me a lot! We chose to live in Stephens City,,,30 mins (or less) from Front Royal and the schools are great as well! People are friendly (except for a bad experience w/our HOA), so many things to do w/in driving distance,,,,we're liking it so far! I wish I had waited to buy a house but oh well! I love where I live (could've bought a much bigger house but that's another story!),,,,goodluck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia