Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2022, 02:29 PM

80 posts, read 437,924 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving back in the US after living abroad for 12 years. This means I will pretty much be starting from scratch.

VA isn't my first choice (Florida is, but have no place to stay there). How are the job opportunities here in NOVA? On the FL boards here people are talking about how hard it is for their struggling family members to find minimum wage jobs in retail or fast food.

And which areas seem to have the most opportunities? I would be in Fairfax/Burke/Woodbridge area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2022, 05:02 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
What kind of employment are you looking for? With the holiday season approaching I would think most retail establishments are looking for employees

Old 11-17-2022, 05:44 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Not to rain on your parade, but you are asking about entry level jobs in the 5th most expensive place to live in the country ???

Old 11-17-2022, 08:18 AM

6,784 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Most COL issues are tied to housing, and it sounds like OP may have a place to stay here.

I don't know much about the blue collar job sphere, but all the stores/restaurants seem to have "We're Hiring" signs up. There's also always white collar opportunities here, but it would depend on qualifications/previous experience whether those are a possibility for you.

Old 11-17-2022, 10:25 AM

80 posts, read 437,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory310 View Post
Both Fairfax and Woodbridge should have plenty of job opportunities if you're looking for entry level. Not sure exactly what you mean by entry level though. The restaurants are always looking for folks but it is unclear if this is what you want or not. Is there a particular field you are interested in? Learning a trade can pay off well over time but of course you have to start at the bottom and learn it. Electricians/HVAC/Plumbers and so on need folks if you have any interest in these.
Entry level as in I don't have experience in a specific field. My work experience in the US (2008-2010) was admin assistant/clerical work and before that just typical part time retail work while attending school. While living abroad I was teaching esl.

I have considered HVAC or electrician work, but I don't know if I can afford to go through the whole process of trade school and training before getting paid - sounds like it can take up to a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Most COL issues are tied to housing, and it sounds like OP may have a place to stay here.
Yeah I have a place to stay in NOVA at least temporarily.

Last edited by PSBlows; 11-17-2022 at 10:33 AM..

Old 11-17-2022, 11:43 AM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSBlows View Post
Your "entry level" pay will feel real small when you will be paying for housing yourself. Most entry level people in this area have multiple roommates.

Old 11-21-2022, 02:54 AM

109 posts, read 122,348 times
teachers are needed, if you have esl experience, thats highly in demand, glad you have housing,thats the main issue here, is you cant survive on entry level salary when paying rent anywhere in NOVA, so just get the experience while you can when your housing is free as you mentioned

Old 11-24-2022, 07:06 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSBlows View Post
Entry level as in I don't have experience in a specific field. My work experience in the US (2008-2010) was admin assistant/clerical work and before that just typical part time retail work while attending school. While living abroad I was teaching esl.

I have considered HVAC or electrician work, but I don't know if I can afford to go through the whole process of trade school and training before getting paid - sounds like it can take up to a few years.

For the electrical trade in this area, look into this link for the Local 26 eletrical workers apprenticeship program. https://www.ibewlocal26.org/how_to_apply/ and here for more info: https://www.jatc26.org/

I know a lot about this because my husband went through it as well as several family members. If you are really interested in the electrical trade this is the way to go and I can't say enough about it.

The apprenticeship is 5 years. During that time you get a raise every 6 months, you work along side someone right from the start, and you are in class a certain percentage of the time. You start out at about $20 per hour and your health insurance is paid for out of your dues (which are affordable). Current pay rate right now is $51 per hour for a trained electrician. That goes up every year.

If you're really interested this is the way to go. To get into it for the 2023 class which starts in September, your application must be in by March 2023.

Old 11-24-2022, 03:22 PM

1,467 posts, read 1,414,990 times
Do you love cigarettes..err I mean kids? Drive for FCPS..paid training..23.80 to start..you may have small issues for living out of USA..like TSA won't hire you for a few years..gee..what a shame...the schools don't care as long as your prints are clean and applicant has eligibility to work.

Old 11-25-2022, 10:30 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,217,021 times
Look into local 602 steamfitters as well. I work in the HVAC field. A good way to get your feet wet in the HVAC field would be to either look for companies that are hiring apprentices or see if you can get a job as a maintenance technician or even a porter for a commercial property company.

The hiring might be tight right now, but that is a good way to get exposure to the HVAC field and move up through the ranks without needing a ton of qualifications to get in the door. I have known several people who started off as porters and moved up in the building maintenance field to become building engineers or chief engineers for their sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia