Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2022, 01:24 PM

35 posts, read 26,877 times

Advertisements

I live in a non-HOA home in Fairfax County. The home is in the Springfield CPD.

I'd like to purchase an enclosed trailer for my personal use (non-commercial purposes). It will be a pretty typical size: 6x14 or 7x14. A "toy hauler" if you will. I will park it on my driveway, not on any public road.

A careful reading of County Code section 82-5-7 shows me the following:

Any enclosed trailer is automatically considered a "Commercial Vehicle". Therefore, the trailer I wish to purchase will be considered a "Commercial Vehicle" for the purposes of parking.

Quote:
Section 82-5-7. - Parking commercial vehicles in residential districts.

(a) No person shall park any motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer on or adjacent to the highways of the County when such person parks any such motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer for commercial purposes. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to (1) any commercial vehicle when picking up or discharging passengers or (2) utility generators located on trailers and being used to power network facilities during a loss of commercial power.
My driveway does not connect to a highway of the county. It is on a local 25mph road, although I read the above potentially to mean that my driveway may still be considered "adjacent" to a highway of the county.

My trailer will not be parked for commercial purposes. Therefore, I interpret that this does not apply to my non-commercial-purpose enclosed trailer parked in my driveway, regardless of the definition of "adjacent".

Quote:
Section 82-5-7. - Parking commercial vehicles in residential districts.

(b) No person shall park any commercial vehicle on the highways of the County in areas zoned for residential use. However, one resident of each single-family dwelling unit zoned for residential use may park one vehicle licensed and registered in the Commonwealth of Virginia as a taxicab or limousine on such highways, provided other vehicles are permitted to park thereon, and the provisions of this Subsection do not apply to a commercial vehicle when picking up or discharging passengers or when temporarily parked pursuant to the performance of work or service at a particular location. For the purposes of this Subsection, the following terms have the meanings ascribed to them below:
The above specifically states that I cannot park my enclosed trailer (considered by the county as a "commercial vehicle" for the purposes of parking) on highways of the County zoned for Residential Use. However, my home and driveway are not located on a highway of the County. If I park my trailer on my driveway, I interpret this code to mean that my trailer will be compliant with the law.

Does anyone have any experience in the matter? I want to get this straight before I purchase a trailer. I figure there must be somebody else on here with experience. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2022, 01:37 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
Adjacent in this context would mean next to the highway, in the grass or on the shoulder. It would not apply to a private driveway.

I'm fairly certain there's no problem parking a trailer in a private driveway in the county.

Old 09-16-2022, 04:23 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I can't see a problem (don't live in FF Cty. but Alex. City - also no HOA) - I think that applies to a business trailer w/advertising on it?

Old 09-16-2022, 06:31 PM

Fairfax County zoning laws for parking in residentially zoned areas seem to be extraordinarily specific. That’s why I am hoping that a trailer owner living in Fairfax can help with the analysis.

Fines for violating the parking code are steep which is why I need verification prior to purchasing the trailer.

Old 09-17-2022, 03:08 AM

491 posts, read 393,701 times
If you're smart you will call the county office and get clarification. If you get the news you are hoping for make sure you notate the date and name of the person who gave you this info. Obviously an email would be better for record purposes but no telling if you'll get a response or not.

Old 09-17-2022, 11:52 AM

I did call the County. They forward me to the Transportation Desk. I get a voice mail saying that they are out of the office. I left them voice mails. They do not call back. Something about some respiratory thing going around.

Hence why I am posting on here.

Last edited by someguy1234; 09-17-2022 at 12:05 PM..

Old 09-18-2022, 03:58 AM

491 posts, read 393,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy1234 View Post
I did call the County. They forward me to the Transportation Desk. I get a voice mail saying that they are out of the office. I left them voice mails. They do not call back. Something about some respiratory thing going around.

Hence why I am posting on here.
I get it but unless you're in a huge rush I'd wait and get official answers. Not that someone there won't steer you wrong but at least you have a fall back with who to blame. Not sure answers from City-Data will qualify.

Old 09-19-2022, 03:20 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,424,853 times
Highways means any road per definition from the county. They did not write code specifically to prevent people parking trailers on I-66...check out the definition for "Highway"

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/...ction33.2-100/ ("Interstate highway" is their term for an actual highway)

Now FFX people certainly park enclosed trailers in their driveways and the worst scenario if you are reported is that you move it to a commercial parking lot. Whether your private driveway counts as adjacent...probably, but realistically it comes down to a neighbor reporting you the police are not roaming around looking for trailers. If you can legally park a giant camper in your driveway I don't see why a small unlabeled trailer would be an issue...the code is more about people not parking like cement mixers or food trucks in their driveways.

Interesting that Fairfax City code specifically allows up a 9K lb vehicle or trailer to be parked in the private driveway.

Old 09-19-2022, 08:09 PM

64 posts, read 64,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy1234 View Post
I live in a non-HOA home in Fairfax County. The home is in the Springfield CPD.

I'd like to purchase an enclosed trailer for my personal use (non-commercial purposes). It will be a pretty typical size: 6x14 or 7x14. A "toy hauler" if you will. I will park it on my driveway, not on any public road.

A careful reading of County Code section 82-5-7 shows me the following:

Any enclosed trailer is automatically considered a "Commercial Vehicle". Therefore, the trailer I wish to purchase will be considered a "Commercial Vehicle" for the purposes of parking.

My driveway does not connect to a highway of the county. It is on a local 25mph road, although I read the above potentially to mean that my driveway may still be considered "adjacent" to a highway of the county.

My trailer will not be parked for commercial purposes. Therefore, I interpret that this does not apply to my non-commercial-purpose enclosed trailer parked in my driveway, regardless of the definition of "adjacent".

The above specifically states that I cannot park my enclosed trailer (considered by the county as a "commercial vehicle" for the purposes of parking) on highways of the County zoned for Residential Use. However, my home and driveway are not located on a highway of the County. If I park my trailer on my driveway, I interpret this code to mean that my trailer will be compliant with the law.

Does anyone have any experience in the matter? I want to get this straight before I purchase a trailer. I figure there must be somebody else on here with experience. Thanks!

I believe your interpretation of the definition of commercial vehicle and the fact you're parking it on your private property would be lawful. I wouldn't worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia