Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 07:15 PM

6 posts, read 13,634 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My fiancee and I are looking into buying our first home. We are currently in our mid/late 20's. We currently live in the Potomac Falls area of Sterling. She works in Ashburn near route 7 and I work in Centreville. Currently my commute is around 25 minutes each way and hers is around 5-7 minutes. I have a few questions I was wondering if you all could help me answer.

First of all, if at all possible we would like to get a home with some kind of backyard (i.e. not a condo) but our budget is around 300k, any more would likely be pushing it but could be doable. We would like our commutes to still be doable and I understand that my commute will be longer since i work in Centreville and Loudoun is cheaper than Fairfax County. Does anyone have any suggestions on locations to search that would both be affordable, and be somewhat doable commutes for both of us? We were thinking somewhere in Ashburn, but would Leesburg be a doable commute for me in Centreville without taking the greenway? Anyone have any idea how long that would take in rush hour? I start work around 8 am and leave at 4. Any particular neighborhoods to look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 12:28 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,951 times
You have a very low budget. This is NoVa...... Think again.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Sears View Post
I think it will be a bit challenging to find a home/townhome in that price range (with a backyard) but not impossible. Why would you like to have a backyard? Do you have a pet? Would you be happy with just some kind of private outdoor space, such as a deck? Another area to look is the Gainesville and Haymarket area. Your fiancee's commute would go up to 30-40 minutes and your commute would be about 20-30 minutes. Not too bad. There are a lot of condo communities that have a townhouse-like feel... they won't have a personal backyard, but they have lots of communities amenities. Not sure if that would work for you...? Hope that helps! Feel free to direct message me if there is any other way I can help you guys out.
Hi thanks for the response. A small back yard would be ideal because we will probably be getting a pet once we leave our apartment, but it certainly isn't a dealbreaker. We would like to avoid 1 floor condos/apartments but could settle for TH style condos somewhere. I used to commute from Manassas to Centreville for my job and it would take me 30-40 minutes in bumper to bumper traffic most days so not sure I want to deal with 66 again if possible.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:08 PM

601 posts, read 592,543 times
The only SFHs that you are going to find for 300k will need significant work. A lot next to me with an abandoned, uninhabitable house on it sold recently for about $265,000, and I don't even live in one of the most desirable areas of FFX county. Whichever flipper bought the house will have to likely tear the whole thing down.

You can get a nice condo in many areas for 300k, though. Maybe even a townhouse.

Last edited by TheWatchmen; 03-08-2015 at 07:21 PM..

Old 03-08-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
The only SFHs that you are going to find for 300k will need significant work. An lot next to me with an abandoned, uninhabitable house on it sold recently for about $265,000, and I don't even live in one of the most desirable areas of FFX county. Whichever flipper bought the house will have to likely tear the whole thing down.

You can get a nice condo in many areas for 300k, though. Maybe even a townhouse.
Thanks for the response. Just to clarify, we are not really looking for a SFH at this time as we obviously can't afford that in this area now and don't really need one with no kids or anything yet and we will be first time buyers. She mainly wants a backyard for a dog and to do a small garden. Ideally a townhouse with a small back yard, but I suppose a multi-level condo with a deck could do and we could just take the dog in a public area outside.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:50 AM

170 posts, read 199,195 times
There are a bunch of sub-$300k townhomes in Sterling. There's even a SFH at $315k on the market right now.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:50 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,262,599 times
I would look in Centreville, specifically London Towne

Old 03-09-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
I would look in Centreville, specifically London Towne
I will check that out. I hadn't really even thought of looking in FFX county because I figured it would all be more expensive

Old 03-09-2015, 03:29 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,283,738 times
I live in Centreville and there are several THs in the area for under $300k.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:28 PM

336 posts, read 591,589 times
I would look in the not-so-nice area of Sterling (20164). $300k is doable for older townhouses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia