Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 04:26 PM

207 posts, read 284,790 times

Advertisements

Ex racist skinhead, Steve Smith, formerly of the Keystone State Skinheads, has been denied use of the Mercatili Segilia Park in Moosic for a "white rights" group celebration.
http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/moo...tion-1.1356131

Per the article I am reading, "The coalition's (European American Action Coalition) event included hosting a minor party presidential candidate who believes the nation is "degenerating" because of the growth of the minority populations. The candidate, Merlin Miller, belongs to the American 3rd Position Party, which has been identified by a hate-group tracking organization, Southern Poverty Law Center, as one "initially established by racist Southern California skinheads that aims to deport immigrants and return the US to white rule."

However the park was used twice for the same thing two years already (which I had no idea about, as this is the third annual "celebration." Apparently Mr Smith was using a girlfriend's friend to book the dates, and has since been denied since Mr. Mercatili has found out that Smith is a Pittston resident. According to Smith, he may pursue legal action for violation of the 1st amendment.

Now my frustration isn't with the confusion of who lives where and why things are at there they are now with who uses the park and who doesn't. My frustration is with the active racism being displayed by Steve Smith and his group. He states he is no longer racist and has learned from past mistakes, but it appears he's just moved away from his neo-nazi buddies into a smaller political front to support his hate mongering.
This is certainly one thing that disgusts me. This sort of intolerance shouldn't be around, let along this area.

Yes, he has a right to free speech, but to say you aren't racist and go ahead and support a man who active displays KKK-like opinions is ridiculous. It's one thing to be proud of your heritage, but they're blatantly using the term "pride" in substitution of the words "power" and "supremacy."

Mainly just a rant, but I find it terrible there is backwoods thinking like this. While I don't think the KSS is still around in the area, it doesn't help it's ex-members are still active with spreading intolerance and bigotry.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-09-2012 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 08-09-2012, 05:12 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,625,057 times
We /Moosic may not like the message or messenger, but I think this has potential to cost Moosic some big $$$ Everyone is guaranteed the right to assemble peacefully, and Moosic allowed this in two prior years..If indeed the girlfriend used her address and listed the event as hers Moosic is in big trouble.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:00 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,997 times
I couldn't agree more, Mike.

As for Moosic being in trouble, I doubt it would hold up in court. Smith is not a resident and not entitled to the privilege of using the park. The fact that he used his girlfriend's Moosic address would indicate that he knew he wasn't entitled to reserve the park.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:27 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,145,522 times
We don't need this **** in PA or anywhere in the US!!!!

Old 08-09-2012, 06:28 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,099,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
I couldn't agree more, Mike.

As for Moosic being in trouble, I doubt it would hold up in court. Smith is not a resident and not entitled to the privilege of using the park. The fact that he used his girlfriend's Moosic address would indicate that he knew he wasn't entitled to reserve the park.
Entitled? to what?

Since when do you have to live in the town in order to use its PUBLIC AREAS?

If he was smart he would sue Moosic for millions, hold his rally and laugh all the way to the bank with the ACLU as his attorney.

See the NSPA(NAZI PARTY) vs. The Village of Skokie Illinois where the ACLU successfully worked on behalf of the Nazi Party to hold a rally and march in the predominantly Jewish village in Nazi uniforms.

FREEDOM OF SPEECH IS JUST THAT.

This country is wasting away and our core values are being eroded away by this idiotic liberal mindset that you shut people down because you simply don't like what they have to say.

FREEDOM OF SPEECH doesn't mean freedom of speech only if its nice and flowery.

I hope to god he sues and shoves The Bill of Rights right up the arse of the Borough leaders in Moosic.

Sorry Mike, but maybe the people in this country need a little injection of pride before its too late and we are forced to speak Spanish, Chinese or any other language just to buy groceries...

So white pride events are no good racist events, but the Hispanic pride day here in Scranton is what?

For once I would love too see someone actually defend our rights instead of using them as a doormat ir twisting them to suit only their liberal mindset.

One more time.....LIKE IT OR NOT......FREEDOM OF SPEECH IS JUST THAT.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:52 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Entitled? to what?

Since when do you have to live in the town in order to use its PUBLIC AREAS?

If he was smart he would sue Moosic for millions, hold his rally and laugh all the way to the bank with the ACLU as his attorney.

See the NSPA(NAZI PARTY) vs. The Village of Skokie Illinois where the ACLU successfully worked on behalf of the Nazi Party to hold a rally and march in the predominantly Jewish village in Nazi uniforms.

FREEDOM OF SPEECH IS JUST THAT.

This country is wasting away and our core values are being eroded away by this idiotic liberal mindset that you shut people down because you simply don't like what they have to say.

FREEDOM OF SPEECH doesn't mean freedom of speech only if its nice and flowery.

I hope to god he sues and shoves The Bill of Rights right up the arse of the Borough leaders in Moosic.

Sorry Mike, but maybe the people in this country need a little injection of pride before its too late and we are forced to speak Spanish, Chinese or any other language just to buy groceries...

So white pride events are no good racist events, but the Hispanic pride day here in Scranton is what?

For once I would love too see someone actually defend our rights instead of using them as a doormat ir twisting them to suit only their liberal mindset.

One more time.....LIKE IT OR NOT......FREEDOM OF SPEECH IS JUST THAT.
Yes, entitled. He may be able to be in the park and use it for himself but not entitled to host an event there if he is not a resident which is apparently the rule and which is why he put his girlfriend's address on the request form.

As for white pride v. hispanic pride day... I'll denounce Hispanic pride day as racist and hateful when I see those participating wearing Nazi swastikas, KKK robes, carrying signs/chanting/speeches that include the promotion hate for other races. And for the record, while I don't agree with his hate group ideology I would defend his right to speak it, anytime, anywhere as long as he follows the rules which again HE DID NOT!

p.s.- the ACLU which you cite in your argument for defending the Nazis is a LIBERAL ORGANIZATION.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:09 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,491,384 times
This sort of person exists almost everywhere. Not at all exclusive to NEPA.

As Americans we tend to like freedom of speech when we agree with what is spoken and dislike it when we do not.

Alas, these people have the right to say what they want as long as they are peaceful about it.

I am glad. This way, people can say what they believe without fear of reprisal.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:18 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,625,057 times
Quote:
Yes, entitled. He may be able to be in the park and use it for himself but not entitled to host an event there if he is not a resident which is apparently the rule and which is why he put his girlfriend's address on the request form.

As for white pride v. hispanic pride day... I'll denounce Hispanic pride day as racist and hateful when I see those participating wearing Nazi swastikas, KKK robes, carrying signs/chanting/speeches that include the promotion hate for other races. And for the record, while I don't agree with his hate group ideology I would defend his right to speak it, anytime, anywhere as long as he follows the rules which again HE DID NOT!

p.s.- the ACLU which you cite in your argument for defending the Nazis is a LIBERAL ORGANIZATION.
IF i repeat IF his girl used her address and claimed it was her gathering, which the article alludes to Moosic has put themselves in a precarious position

Old 08-09-2012, 07:50 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post

You'll enjoy this video, it's one of my all time favorites:

Andrew Klavan: Shut Up. - YouTube

Quote:
Exactly.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:04 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
How about two Black Panthers standing outside a polling place in Philly?

"Security" patrols stationed at polling places in Philly - YouTube

I don't agree with Smith's position but he has right and the hypocrisy of the media is ridiculous. My opinion is any group whether the it's white power groups, the NAACP, La Raza or whoever it may be are all racists at their core. As a nation we're never going to move forward normalizing race relations across the board as long as these groups exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania