Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2010, 04:46 PM

154 posts, read 409,289 times

Advertisements

For example: a few yrs ago I had a door installed in my upstairs hallway. Within seconds, and I do mean seconds, of the carpenter hammering out the frame, there was a knock on my door and it was 'zoning" people telling us we need a permit. Yet I've heard of localities (Jermyn, for instance) where people basically look the other way when someone is attempting to improve/remodel their property. Anyway, I'm looking at a house in Taylor (amongst other towns), which needs a bit of tweaking for me to live in it, and I'm wondering just how horrific the "authorities" be when it comes to a homeowner making changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 07:14 PM

273 posts, read 959,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorac07 View Post
For example: a few yrs ago I had a door installed in my upstairs hallway. Within seconds, and I do mean seconds, of the carpenter hammering out the frame, there was a knock on my door and it was 'zoning" people telling us we need a permit. Yet I've heard of localities (Jermyn, for instance) where people basically look the other way when someone is attempting to improve/remodel their property. Anyway, I'm looking at a house in Taylor (amongst other towns), which needs a bit of tweaking for me to live in it, and I'm wondering just how horrific the "authorities" be when it comes to a homeowner making changes.

Consider calling (or visiting) the Taylor town office and asking some questions, This is probably better than getting opinions on the forum.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:00 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,632,356 times
Scrantons permits office is as helpful and useful as boobs on a bull.. blind leading the blind { there are a very few who know what they are doing, but its the exception rather than the rule}

Old 06-18-2010, 10:06 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,864,161 times
A permit for installing a door? That's ridiculous....I don't know how they would have known, unless you have nosy neighbors who have a bone to pick with you...

Old 06-19-2010, 05:31 PM

539 posts, read 1,072,233 times
What about Wilkes-Barre, can I for example, have them pour some concrete through a basement window to fix up the cellar, or do I have to have a permit to even call someone to do that?

Old 06-20-2010, 10:42 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,138,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorac07 View Post
you needed a permit to replace a door inside your home? Re-donk-ulous..
but I did read on Scranton's building/zoning page that almost everything requires a permit, except painting the inside/outside of home and gutter installation. Changing out an interior door requiring a permit stinks of money grubbing to me.

Taylor Borugh doesn't really discuss what needs permits, so you should call. Taylor Borough Zoning (http://www.taylorborough.com/ZONING/2004_2005.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania