Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 04:51 PM

635 posts, read 1,658,130 times

Advertisements

I have been on a relocation hunt for a better part of two years...1) I want to be realistic about making it work 2) I want to feel safe and know that the place I choose is scenic and full of great people

I have been reading about ND today and looking up job sites and reading CD posts too. I am looking at Fargo...mainly for work and I'd be close to friends in Lisbon.

I'd like to hear what others have to say about the area or if they think another place would suits my needs/interests better.

I am a single mom of a 16 y/o boy. I have a BS in Psychology and have experience working with psychiatric pt's, the elderly, and those with substance abuse problems. I am currently a caseworker in a psych hospital in Joplin, MO (the one destroyed by tornado). We have a substitute building for now.

Do you think Fargo is a good choice? I noticed no lakes are nearby. Where do people go for water fun? Are there areas that are more scenic (mtns, Lakes) but also put me in a decent job market? I am a very down to earth, friendly person and I feel I'd fit right in. We hate the heat but do admit the very cold winters will take a little getting used to...we don't get below zero temps very often but we do.

Thanks for any suggestions...I am impressed with ND and what I've discovered so far.

Last edited by Mollym313; 06-02-2012 at 06:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 07:21 PM

298 posts, read 752,477 times
Hello mollym313:

Some great questions you ask. You are correct in reasoning that the economy in Fargo - Moorhead is doing quite a bit better than the rest of the nation. It's not the booming economy being fueled by the oil drilling and refining as is going on the western part of North Dakota near the towns of: Minot , Williston , Bismarck , Mandan ,Dickinson , Medora , or Tioga.

With that being said however, Fargo and West Fargo are still the center of commerce for all of North Dakota and much of western Minnesota. In addititon, with your medical backround, my assumption would be that you would have no trouble finding well paying employment in the Fargo, North Dakota- Moorhead, Minnesota Metropolitan Area. The major health care employer in Fargo- Moorhead is "Sanford Health" which runs the main hospitals and clinics in the city, so I would definately check their website. The Veterans Administration has a beautiful V.A. Hospital on the northern edge of downtown Fargo overlooking the park right next to the "Red River of the North" bisecting the twin cities of Fargo and Moorhead.

Speaking of quality of life, Fargo-Moorhead is consistently ranked as one of the top places to live in the nation, extremely safe, clean, excellent public schools. Moorhead High School "The Spuds", often times make the state tournament in sports down in Minneapolis and St. Paul often times defeating the big city schools. With North Dakota State University right in Fargo in addition to Minnesota State University-Moorhead and Concordia College being literally right across the Red River, educational and cultural opportunities are plentiful.

For outdoor recreation, the city parks throughout the area are great, and very good fishing is available in the Red River. Cabela's the fishing, camping, huning store is in East Grand Forks . Now with Fargo- Moorhead being flat, many area residents spend weekends in lakes area's of Detroit Lakes, Minnesota which is just 40-miles to the east on US Highway 10, or they go to Fergus Falls, Minnesota which is 54-miles southeast of Fargo along Interstate 94 right in the middle of Otter Tail County. Otter Tail County has more than 1,000 sizable lakes, the second highest point in Minnesota "Inspiration Peak" with 40-50 mile views on a clear day only an hour from Fargo; albeit it is not the Ozark Mountains like you're used to. Tubing down the Otter Tail River on a summer weekend is great. Going boating, fishing, swimming or relaxing at a resort on Otter Tail Lake, West Battle Lake or East Battle Lake are heavenly.

Fergus Falls Regional Medical Center is a great hospital; you may want to check their employment section as well. Fergus Falls, MN is a beautiful small city.

Whenever you want to visit Joplin, MO, itis easy to travel there by taking I-29 to downtown Kansas City then driving U.S. 71 all the way to Joplin.

Best of luck with your employment search and possible move!

Old 06-02-2012, 08:05 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,261,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
I have been on a relocation hunt for a better part of two years...1) I want to be realistic about making it work 2) I want to feel safe and know that the place I choose is scenic and full of great people

I have been reading about ND today and looking up job sites and reading CD posts too. I am looking at Fargo...mainly for work and I'd be close to friends in Lisbon.

I'd like to hear what others have to say about the area or if they think another place would suits my needs/interests better.

I am a single mom of a 16 y/o boy. I have a BS in Psychology and have experience working with psychiatric pt's, the elderly, and those with substance abuse problems. I am currently a caseworker in a psych hospital in Joplin, MO (the one destroyed by tornado). We have a substitute building for now.

Do you think Fargo is a good choice? I noticed no lakes are nearby. Where do people go for water fun? Are there areas that are more scenic (mtns, Lakes) but also put me in a decent job market? I am a very down to earth, friendly person and I feel I'd fit right in. We hate the heat but do admit the very cold winters will take a little getting used to...we don't get below zero temps very often but we do.

Thanks for any suggestions...I am impressed with ND and what I've discovered so far.
I would suggest you check into VA hospital in Fargo, re: your degree and experience. I know that the VA was increasing their programs a year or so ago and that there is a very good dual diagnosis program at the Fargo VA. Your experience w/ addiction would be a great asset. There are other fine addiction programs and agencies in Fargo too. Do a search and you'll see a few others.
If you can stand frigid temps in winter, and icy driving conditions, it has lots of other good aesthetics to offer. A relatively safe environment....nothing is easy when you move a 16 yr old but Fargo might be what you want. It is also close to some really nice MN areas for day trips and water sports in summer. Hope you find it to your liking. IMO Fargo is the most progressive city in N.D. and offers the widest variety of culture, colleges, resturants, shopping and living experiences.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn55110 View Post
Hello mollym313:

Some great questions you ask. You are correct in reasoning that the economy in Fargo - Moorhead is doing quite a bit better than the rest of the nation. It's not the booming economy being fueled by the oil drilling and refining as is going on the western part of North Dakota near the towns of: Minot , Williston , Bismarck , Mandan ,Dickinson , Medora , or Tioga.

With that being said however, Fargo and West Fargo are still the center of commerce for all of North Dakota and much of western Minnesota. In addititon, with your medical backround, my assumption would be that you would have no trouble finding well paying employment in the Fargo, North Dakota- Moorhead, Minnesota Metropolitan Area. The major health care employer in Fargo- Moorhead is "Sanford Health" which runs the main hospitals and clinics in the city, so I would definately check their website. The Veterans Administration has a beautiful V.A. Hospital on the northern edge of downtown Fargo overlooking the park right next to the "Red River of the North" bisecting the twin cities of Fargo and Moorhead.

Speaking of quality of life, Fargo-Moorhead is consistently ranked as one of the top places to live in the nation, extremely safe, clean, excellent public schools. Moorhead High School "The Spuds", often times make the state tournament in sports down in Minneapolis and St. Paul often times defeating the big city schools. With North Dakota State University right in Fargo in addition to Minnesota State University-Moorhead and Concordia College being literally right across the Red River, educational and cultural opportunities are plentiful.

For outdoor recreation, the city parks throughout the area are great, and very good fishing is available in the Red River. Cabela's the fishing, camping, huning store is in East Grand Forks . Now with Fargo- Moorhead being flat, many area residents spend weekends in lakes area's of Detroit Lakes, Minnesota which is just 40-miles to the east on US Highway 10, or they go to Fergus Falls, Minnesota which is 54-miles southeast of Fargo along Interstate 94 right in the middle of Otter Tail County. Otter Tail County has more than 1,000 sizable lakes, the second highest point in Minnesota "Inspiration Peak" with 40-50 mile views on a clear day only an hour from Fargo; albeit it is not the Ozark Mountains like you're used to. Tubing down the Otter Tail River on a summer weekend is great. Going boating, fishing, swimming or relaxing at a resort on Otter Tail Lake, West Battle Lake or East Battle Lake are heavenly.

Fergus Falls Regional Medical Center is a great hospital; you may want to check their employment section as well. Fergus Falls, MN is a beautiful small city.

Whenever you want to visit Joplin, MO, itis easy to travel there by taking I-29 to downtown Kansas City then driving U.S. 71 all the way to Joplin.

Best of luck with your employment search and possible move!
WOW! That was a fantastic response. I like that Lakes are less than an hour away. I have not been tubing down a river in years...reminds me of my childhood in NE Oregon. I am very impressed with what I have been learning about ND. I had also thought about the VA.

I think Fargo is at the top of my list. I have heard/read great things.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Old 06-02-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I would suggest you check into VA hospital in Fargo, re: your degree and experience. I know that the VA was increasing their programs a year or so ago and that there is a very good dual diagnosis program at the Fargo VA. Your experience w/ addiction would be a great asset. There are other fine addiction programs and agencies in Fargo too. Do a search and you'll see a few others.
If you can stand frigid temps in winter, and icy driving conditions, it has lots of other good aesthetics to offer. A relatively safe environment....nothing is easy when you move a 16 yr old but Fargo might be what you want. It is also close to some really nice MN areas for day trips and water sports in summer. Hope you find it to your liking. IMO Fargo is the most progressive city in N.D. and offers the widest variety of culture, colleges, resturants, shopping and living experiences.
Thanks! What a great reply. I am not a big fan of ice...not a fan of commuting. Fortunately...I am a very good driver in all weather conditions. I am looking for those "aesthetics" that you mentioned. I think its important to have a place to walk/drive that relaxes/calms the soul.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:32 PM

298 posts, read 752,477 times
Hello again Mollym313:

One hospital and clinic I totally forgot to mention, given your backround, that the local's will have a good laugh over my ommission of the obvious, and that is Prairie-St. John's hospital right in Downtown Fargo.

Prairie-St. John's specializes in patients of all ages struggling with mental illnesses, chemical dependency, and other addictions both on an inpatient and outpatient basis. Their reputation is one of the best in the upper-midwest. In fact, Prairie-St. John's (or Prairie Care) is a popular option for many families from Minneapolis and St. Paul who have any number of various treatment options right there in Minneapolis, but still choose Prairie-St. John's 231-miles away in Fargo, as the best place to get the help which their loved one needs. With your experience, Mollym313, I would immagine they would take some interest in your skills; check out their website.

You may also want to look at working for Cass County Social Services or Human Services Dept. Consider looking into the Fargo Public Schools or the West Fargo School District and the Moorhead Public School District

A couple more day trip options I didn't mention yesterday are Maplewood State Park near Pelican Rapids, Minnesota and Glendalough State Park near Battle Lake, Minnesota. Both have wonderful year round recreational and natural opportunities. there are also a lot of bicycle and walking trails in the Fargo and Moorhead parks system particularly along the Red River.

Speaking of rush hour congestion, in Fargo-Moorhead there is none; maybe rush minnutes if a stop light is malfunctioning or your stuck at a railroad crossing. I remember maybe 10-12 years ago when KFGO-Radio and WDAY-TV / AM Radio tried doing morning and afternoon traffic reports during their broadcasts. They were not really needed were stopped maybe a month or so later.

Feel free to post again with any questions or points of clarification!

Old 06-03-2012, 05:37 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,748,436 times
Quote:
Fargo is about as flat as land gets.

Quote:

There is plenty of drinking going on in Fargo. I did my part when I lived there.

Quote:

Fargo is a nice town, if you can handle the winters.

The lakes are in MN.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
Fargo is about as flat as land gets.

There is plenty of drinking going on in Fargo. I did my part when I lived there.

Fargo is a nice town, if you can handle the winters.

The lakes are in MN.
LOL....Yea I was noticing ND is not mountainous. On the up side, looks like some nice lakes in MN. I don't live by mountains now...unless I go to Branson and their really not that big but they are nice.

The below zero temps and wind chill will be an adjustment. We don't get too many below zero temps here but we get a few every winter.

Thanks for your input! I just have to weigh the pros and cons and decide what I can live without. I have to be able to make a decent living and I need to feel safe. Also...high on my list is to feel welcome and meet great people.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn55110 View Post
Hello again Mollym313:

One hospital and clinic I totally forgot to mention, given your backround, that the local's will have a good laugh over my ommission of the obvious, and that is Prairie-St. John's hospital right in Downtown Fargo.

Prairie-St. John's specializes in patients of all ages struggling with mental illnesses, chemical dependency, and other addictions both on an inpatient and outpatient basis. Their reputation is one of the best in the upper-midwest. In fact, Prairie-St. John's (or Prairie Care) is a popular option for many families from Minneapolis and St. Paul who have any number of various treatment options right there in Minneapolis, but still choose Prairie-St. John's 231-miles away in Fargo, as the best place to get the help which their loved one needs. With your experience, Mollym313, I would immagine they would take some interest in your skills; check out their website.

You may also want to look at working for Cass County Social Services or Human Services Dept. Consider looking into the Fargo Public Schools or the West Fargo School District and the Moorhead Public School District

A couple more day trip options I didn't mention yesterday are Maplewood State Park near Pelican Rapids, Minnesota and Glendalough State Park near Battle Lake, Minnesota. Both have wonderful year round recreational and natural opportunities. there are also a lot of bicycle and walking trails in the Fargo and Moorhead parks system particularly along the Red River.

Speaking of rush hour congestion, in Fargo-Moorhead there is none; maybe rush minnutes if a stop light is malfunctioning or your stuck at a railroad crossing. I remember maybe 10-12 years ago when KFGO-Radio and WDAY-TV / AM Radio tried doing morning and afternoon traffic reports during their broadcasts. They were not really needed were stopped maybe a month or so later.

Feel free to post again with any questions or points of clarification!
Thank you so much for the information. Your day trip options are great. I am really a very simple person. I do enjoy the water but you throw in a camping trip with some BBQ and I call the experience a great success.

Do they cross country ski in ND? Is ice fishing popular? Just curious about this...only cross country skied once. I know the big questions are always jobs and housing but what makes it "home" is being part of a community and getting out to experience it. Thank you so much for adding the extra special details about the area and the possibilities.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:18 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,018,230 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for the information. Your day trip options are great. I am really a very simple person. I do enjoy the water but you throw in a camping trip with some BBQ and I call the experience a great success.

Do they cross country ski in ND? Is ice fishing popular? Just curious about this...only cross country skied once. I know the big questions are always jobs and housing but what makes it "home" is being part of a community and getting out to experience it. Thank you so much for adding the extra special details about the area and the possibilities.
Fargo and Grand Forks city park district groom trails for those wanting to cross country ski. Ice fishing is very popular....Devils Lake ND about 90 miles west of Grand Forks is a huge fishing mecca. Many lakes in Minnesota to choose from. As others have posted, there are many state parks in both states to go camping and other activities. Nearest to Fargo is Fort Ransom west of Lisbon in the Sheyenne river valley. It is nestled in a valley surrounding by hills and is great for canoeing. Minnesota lakes country is roughly Detroit Lakes and Fergus Falls to Alexandria and points east with many many resorts and places for camping and boating. So while in the immediate F-M area you may not have the scenery....dont have to go far to get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota