Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,728 times

Advertisements

I acutally grew up in Rutherford County, which is 30 minutes or so away from Shelby. We are looking to move in Cleveland Co, and after researching the school districts have decided to live in the Boiling Springs area. This is a small town. We fell in love with our daycare we choose and basically was going to live where we felt most comfortable concerning our children. I have heard that the schools are really nice. We researched Kings Mountain and GAstonia before deciding on Boiling Springs. My husband is going to commute to Charlotte. We just like the smaller setting enviroment and are looking forward to our move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,479 times
I was born in Shelby and lived here most of my life, aside from living in Charlotte for about 13 years. Yes, our crime got pretty bad but now, due to groups like "Project Safe Neighborhood" and "Weed and Seed" and Community Watch things are MUCH much better. I live in an old, historic neighborhood with great old houses with mostly doctors and other professional people living in them but we live pretty close to what is a "bad" area and until a couple of years ago, we heard gunshots almost every week. Now, they are almost a thing of the past. I personally love living here and don't miss bigger city living at ALL. The main thing to do when you move to an area is to GET INVOLVED and get to know people. We have neighbors who moved here from upstate NY and before that, from all over the US. They love it here.. but they almost immediately got involved in the community, which is what they seem to do when they move to different areas. A few years back, the husband got laid off and they moved away to Red Springs, NC... they bought a GREAT house which was a converted church and got settled in but absolutely hated it there. They had not sold their house here so they took it off the market and he found another job in our area and moved back... and have been back for a few years now.

Don't judge us on stats you read online.. As with any city/town there are good points and bad...But our town is called "The City of Pleasant Living" and we ARE getting back to that! We are just 45 miles from Charlotte and about 55 from Asheville... an hour from the mountains and 4 from the beach. We love it here!

Old 03-28-2008, 06:25 PM

4 posts, read 14,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmiles35 View Post
go little farther west to forest city,great place to live we been here a few months,have a great realtor too, you should p.m. (yorkshirelass) she will be a great help to you..good luck
where did you move from, we came down last May and are out off Shiloh Road

Old 03-29-2008, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,462 times
I agree with a lot that has been posted here. Shelby and the small towns close by have all been hit extremely hard with the manufacturing loss. Economically the areas are extremely blighted - many vacant buildings, homes run down, etc. Property values are declining especially south west of Shelby. If you do not have to work then Asheville or the foothills might be a nice place to live, but if you need to have lucrative income, I would not recommend it. We have been here several years and love the area but finances are killing us along with everyone else. I would recommend that if you do come to the general area though, I would stay a little more north of the general small towns to kepp a higher property value.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:53 PM

6 posts, read 13,839 times
I have been around the shelby area for 2 years now-- I go to college in Boiling Springs-- and have never really seen that many problems. Sure, like any larger town, there are certain sections of the town that you would not want to live in, but all-in-all I love Shelby! There's just enough to keep you busy, but also enough to make it feel like a small, southern town. Also, most of the people there are super friendly. I am actually moving to shelby to stay for the next 4 years and I am very excited about the move. And like I said, it just depends on the area of shelby that you go to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina