Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2006, 05:26 PM

11 posts, read 34,906 times

Advertisements

Hi there. Our family currently lives in the sad state of Michigan. We are seriously starving over here. We are a small concrete construction business.

We are wondering how the construction of new homes and buildings are in NC. How is the real estate market going? If anyone has any input, we would really appreciate it. Are there new sub-divisions going up? How is the economy there.

Michigan is really rough. We need your help.....thanks ~

God bless,
forgiven
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 05:57 PM

43,283 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Real estate is great.
Influx of population continues.
If you have quality construction skills, decent service, and can sell work, you will do all right.
When you talk to a concrete guy about a job, it seems like the very first thing he says is, "All concrete cracks."

New subdivisions going up all over, at least in metropolitan areas. I'm in Cary, outside Raleigh. 50% of housing sales and inventory are new construction.
And we work year-round.

Old 12-28-2006, 06:01 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,730 times
hi

I live in wake forest (north of raleigh) and I have a great friend who owns a concrete company (his father started it about 15 years ago) they do very well. His company specializes in basements, and foundations, sometimes does driveways but mainly the basement/foundation thing. There are many developments that are going up that start at 500k (one near me, the lots are starting at 300k and the houses are 800 plus). But there is tons of new construction, from smaller homes to huge ones.

I think this business is all about networking, finding resources, getting to know builders, etc. I don't know what the competition is like, but the number of builders is vast.

I also think it helps here because the weather is pretty temperate with not many months where they cannot do their work.

Leigh

Old 12-28-2006, 06:12 PM

11 posts, read 34,906 times
Thank you so much for this information. We are so very grateful. We actually specialize in trench foundations and block work.

Leighbhe........what is the concrete company name? We will need to contact them to get some prices too. We are finding that concrete prices are different everywhere we have looked. Some states, like Florida are charging $25.00 more per yard than Michigan.

We have 2 small children, and things here are so tough. My husband has been trying to get a job with someone doing construction since we are so slow, and there just isn't any work here.

I'm so glad to hear NC is doing well. My husband is a very hard worker, and so I'm hoping things will work out there.

The prices of the homes seem really high. Do most homes have basements? Is the cost of living really high? Gas here is about $2.35 per gal. How is it there?

Old 01-18-2007, 07:28 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,890 times
I have a general construction question and hoping someone might enlighten me. I live in a 20 year old condo and recently the owner moved out. The new tenants are smoking in the unit and the smoke is coming through the common wall into my unit. I am checking to see if there is a clause in the lease etc but my real question is in newer units can smoke come through the common wall(s)? Has construction changed over the years in this respect? I am considering of moving to another town in the near future and am wondering if this might be an on-going issue.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:55 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgivenbythecross View Post
Thank you so much for this information. We are so very grateful. We actually specialize in trench foundations and block work.

Leighbhe........what is the concrete company name? We will need to contact them to get some prices too. We are finding that concrete prices are different everywhere we have looked. Some states, like Florida are charging $25.00 more per yard than Michigan.

We have 2 small children, and things here are so tough. My husband has been trying to get a job with someone doing construction since we are so slow, and there just isn't any work here.

I'm so glad to hear NC is doing well. My husband is a very hard worker, and so I'm hoping things will work out there.

The prices of the homes seem really high. Do most homes have basements? Is the cost of living really high? Gas here is about $2.35 per gal. How is it there?
Most homes do not have basements....some do have walk-out or daylight basements. Most homes are over crawl spaces on on slabs. Gas here is 2.08 this evening....however the cost of living is not cheaper then in the North.

A good worker, especially one with extra skills and a good work record, can find work

Old 01-18-2007, 08:13 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
we are paying 2.13 for gas as of today, and cost of living is definatley cheaper there than here in NJ....

Old 01-22-2007, 05:30 PM

15 posts, read 68,584 times
Not knowing anything about Michigan except many Michiganers have moved to NC over the years and many have STAYED in NC! If you look at the Urban Crescent of the state, which runs from Gastonia to Durham along the I-85 corridor, there is growth taking place in all zones of development! If you are looking for industrial construction, the Triad (greensboro, winston-salem, high point) is your best bet. For housing construction, i would say it is a tie between the Charlotte and Triangle areas (triangle is raleigh-durham-chapel hill) but im slightly leaning towards the Triangle. Commericial buildings would be a toss up between all metro areas but probably the Triangle has slightly more going up in Research Triangle Park.

Gas prices are not very good in NC, it has the highest gas tax in the southeast at 29.9 cents a gallon.There has also been a push in the last year to bring ethanol gas at some fuel stations around the state but only brings the cost of gallon of gas down about 10-25 cents.

Although the gas tax high, you are getting what you paid for. NC has a comprenhensive state highway system that does not have county roads and few towns, do road maintienence and even then, are not too shabby. There are many four lane arterials, expressways and freeways in many areas of the state and two lane travel on primary and secondary roadways, provide fast and safe travel on its excellent engineered highways. A lot of construction is taking place on its highway system to increase capacity and prepare also for the future, many freeways in teh urban areas are looking to concrete!

NC is a great place to relocate and if you do your homework (ask questions, surf the net, etc) and take a visit to the Chamber of Commerce locations in some areas around the state, you should be able to find all of the answers you are looking for.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:02 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,222,319 times
Default Hello

We relocated from MI 13 months ago, and I do find most of the cost of living cheaper here. Our auto insurance dropped in half, of course NC has taxes on cars that MI does not have, but all in all still cheaper than MI. Meat and dairy are more expensive, but other groceries are cheaper. Gas is the same, up and down just like in MI. Utilities are cheaper here, although you will find that you have to run the air conditioner more than in MI (we ran steady from July - September). Houses are a better deal down here. Good luck!

Old 01-24-2007, 07:19 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,149,534 times
Default construction

Forgiven,

I like your signature...me, too. Construction is big business in Charlotte. Things have slowed slightly but are predicted to pick up again this Spring. I'm in real estate and keep a close eye on those things. The commercial end of things is booming in South Charlotte/Ballantyne area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina