Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 12:47 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,555,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cllgefrk13 View Post
I appreciate your feedback. He's interested in gunsmithing so there aren't many places to attend. In a perfect world, we would find a place to live that is about halfway between where I work and he goes to school so neither of us has a terrible commute.

Definitely don't want to live in the city and would love to have a little bit of land.
For your security and privacy you don't have to give likelihood on employment but Asheboro area probably a good area to find a home with land in Denton near Hwy 49 if your job is in Charlotte. (then you use Hwy 49)
Sophia and Randleman to Seagrove. Try to lean on west side of the interstate or close to the interstate(s) for both of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 12:50 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,357,789 times
I would live closer to your work. He may be able to organize his school schedule so that he can have all his classes on MWF or TTH per semester which would mean a lot less driving for him.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:50 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,394,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
For your security and privacy you don't have to give likelihood on employment but Asheboro area probably a good area to find a home with land in Denton near Hwy 49 if your job is in Charlotte. (then you use Hwy 49)
Sophia and Randleman to Seagrove. Try to lean on west side of the interstate or close to the interstate(s) for both of you.
Denton to Charlotte is over an hour, outside of rush hour.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,555,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Denton to Charlotte is over an hour, outside of rush hour.
I know, not a lot big winners here in commuting with Troy nor would I want someone commute in the 'Deer on Highway' season but your giving great info and we don't know if job going to be on the other side of the big metros which can make commute lot rougher.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:21 PM

12 posts, read 11,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I would live closer to your work. He may be able to organize his school schedule so that he can have all his classes on MWF or TTH per semester which would mean a lot less driving for him.
That's a good point.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:23 PM

Yea the job is the big variable. I'm trying to make a list of target companies and their locations. Even better if I find a company with flex/remote working availability. I would love for my job to be a little bit outside the city, I'm not a fan of living/driving in big cities.

It appears the cost of living is close to where I am at now so that's good. Our other option is Colorado which is way more expensive!!

Old 04-24-2017, 01:29 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,394,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cllgefrk13 View Post
Yea the job is the big variable. I'm trying to make a list of target companies and their locations. Even better if I find a company with flex/remote working availability. I would love for my job to be a little bit outside the city, I'm not a fan of living/driving in big cities.

It appears the cost of living is close to where I am at now so that's good. Our other option is Colorado which is way more expensive!!
Assuming you find a job in either the G'boro/Winston-Salem or Charlotte areas, there are lots of rural to semi-rural places to live between there and Troy. You may get lucky and find a job in Asheboro or Lexington and be even closer to Troy.

Last edited by BC1960; 04-24-2017 at 02:15 PM..

Old 04-24-2017, 02:09 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,719,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Assuming you find a job in either the G'boro/Winston-Salem or Charlotte areas, there are lots of rural to semi-rural places to live between there and Troy. You may get lucky and find something in Asheboro or Lexington and be even closer to Troy.
Good suggestions. Maybe she could look at Salisbury, too.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:55 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,357,789 times
I think Greensboro traffic is better than Charlotte traffic if you have to work in the city, but neither are a whole lot of fun. I can't remember if you mentioned what your line of work is? Charlotte is a financial center. Greensboro has a more mixed economy, but both have a wide variety of jobs.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think Greensboro traffic is better than Charlotte traffic if you have to work in the city, but neither are a whole lot of fun. I can't remember if you mentioned what your line of work is? Charlotte is a financial center. Greensboro has a more mixed economy, but both have a wide variety of jobs.
I hate traffic!!
My background is in materials and operations management, six sigma and compliance. I have extensive experience in manufacturing and banking. My preference is to land a management level role in a manufacturing company.

There is so much "chicken and egg" going on. The school has a two year wait list, so we would likely move for a job and then attend school in a few years. School, employment and housing - lots of huge changes!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina