Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2006, 07:25 AM

5 posts, read 29,170 times

Advertisements

I just got back from a visit to Highlands/Cashiers in search of a place to retire to. Highlands and Cashiers has way too much golf and the prices are too high for my tastes. We drove through Frankin and looked at some property around the Franklin area and liked Frankin.

Anyone got any opinions on Frankin and Macon county areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2006, 07:26 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesbigmountains View Post
I just got back from a visit to Highlands/Cashiers in search of a place to retire to. Highlands and Cashiers has way too much golf and the prices are too high for my tastes. We drove through Frankin and looked at some property around the Franklin area and liked Frankin.

Seems like we have a lot in common

Can I ask you what exactly you are looking for in a place?

Old 10-25-2006, 07:03 AM

5 posts, read 29,170 times
I'm looking for land with a view to build my house on. Not too steep. Private. Quiet. Three or more acres would be nice. Reasonable access to the town, say within 10 miles or so. I'd rather have community water than to drill my own well, underground electric and phone (cable and internet would be nice, but can get both via satellite if needed). No barking dogs. I looked at one larger development (that I can't recall the name, north of town on 640 acres), but the prices seemed rather high and the lots were steep. It would be nice to be able to put a chair out on the lawn in the evening and sip on a Mint Julip without fearing that I'll fall off a cliff when I get up.

Old 10-25-2006, 04:46 PM

518 posts, read 2,226,765 times
We stayed at a friend's home north of Franklin this summer and enjoyed it. Definitely less pricey than Highlands (which also is in Macon County, by the way) and Cashiers, though I got the impression land prices are going up quickly like in most of western North Carolina. Access to the area is good thanks to two major highways (U.S. 64, U.S. 23/441). There's a Wal-Mart and Ingles supermarket on the outskirts of town, so shopping is covered. Downtown is less touristy than in Waynesville, Brevard, etc., but still nice, with several interesting shops, good restaurants and a pretty town square (which offers live music every Saturday night during the summer). There's a hospital in town, so access to health care is good. Plenty of outdoor opportunities nearby (Nantahala Gorge, with canoeing and rafting, is about a 45-minute drive). And don't forget the many gem mines in the area. Asheville is 90 minutes away and Atlanta is 2.5 hours, so you'll have to do some driving if you want an occasional city experience. But otherwise, based on our short visit, I'd recommend it.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,607 times
Default Franklin, NC

The reason that Highlands and Cashiers are more expensive is that both towns are at a much higher elevation than Franklin is.

Highlands land and home prices have always been higher due to the higher elevation. Our home in Highlands is 4,000 feet and that's what we were looking for. No air conditioning!

If you are below about 3,500 feet you are going to have to have air conditioning in the summer time.

All of the areas in Western North Carolina have the mountains, rivers and waterfalls; but not many of them have the elevation that Highlands has.

Old 11-19-2006, 05:42 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,006,052 times
My only concern about Macon County is the remoteness compared to the Asheville Metro Area. I'd look into the outlying areas. Close to Asheville, but not too close. Something around 30 to 45 minutes away.

Last edited by mm34b; 11-19-2006 at 05:55 PM..

Old 11-19-2006, 06:22 PM

131 posts, read 188,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesbigmountains View Post

Franklin has a different kind of people and atmosphere than all the rest of NC
Mostly very friendly,good school systems.good or bad it is 98% cacausian,a good business location,cost of living low,but work don't pay tops either.It's a great place to retire and is very peaceful.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:08 AM

129 posts, read 489,139 times
If you are looking at the Franklin area, you should really check out Murphy and Hayesville. The land is a little cheaper here, and it's a wonderful place to be. Friendly people, low taxes and crime rate and the weather is so much better here in Murphy.Even during the summer we don't get the storms that Franklin, Asheville or Chattanooga get. These mountains are wonderful protectors! You should check it out here! However, I think no matter where you go, unless you're on a huge piece of land, there may be dogs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina