Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 10,501 times

Advertisements

Hi - Interested in relocating to NC from Queens, NY. I am a single parent - so I am definitely looking for a place with a good school system. Also want to be somewhat close to restaurants/shopping/arts and definitely culturally diverse. Can someone recommend somewhere NC that would offer these things ?
Currently I work as a high school Guidance Counselor - are jobs in this field difficult to find in NC?
Is it easy to make friends because I dont know anyone in NC. Has anyone been in this situation and how was the transition? Is it crazy to move to NC as a single parent with no family/friends? Struggling out here in NY - need to move somewhere that is beautiful, friendly, clean, and affordable.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by NervousMother; 08-22-2006 at 10:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2006, 10:12 PM

33 posts, read 118,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NervousMother View Post
Hi - Interested in relocating to NC from Queens, NY. I am a single parent - so I am definitely looking for a place with a good school system. Also want to be somewhat close to retaurants/shopping/arts. Can someone recommend somewhere NC that would offer these things ?
Currently I work as a high school Guidance Counselor - are jobs in this field difficult to find in NC?
Is it easy to make friends because I dont know anyone in NC. Has anyone been in this situation and how was the transition? Is it crazy to move to NC as a single parent with no family/friends? Struggling out here in NY - need to move somewhere that is beautiful, friendly, clean, and affordable.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
I would just keep reading this board. I am on Long Island, but I have been reading and there is a lot of information out there. It seems that the schools may be an issue. I am trying to get a grip on that myself. I just posted about the arts and got a good reply to check out Charlotte Parent on line and there is good stuff to do. We have to keep in mind, that while things are inflated here, things still cost money in NC and salaries are less. If you have a house to sell in NY you will be able to buy something and have little or no mortgage -- taxes are less. But there are other things to consider. As far as making friends I think that if you move into one of the new communities, everyone is relocating and looking to do the same. Good Luck.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:12 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,854,211 times
I will email you some links to get you going

Old 08-23-2006, 01:35 PM

7 posts, read 45,398 times
I have been here in North Carolina for 22 years, and would not for one moment think of moving back north (Pittsburgh). I live in a small town, less than 4,000 people. We are within 30 minutes driving time of Charlotte, Greensboro, or Winston-Salem. All of these cities have very diverse cultures and plenty of places to view and take part in history, culture, and social events. Weekends find us choosing between an art exhibit in Charlotte or the apple festival the other direction. We are four hours from the beaches and three hours from the smoky mountains. The weather is great, I don’t miss the snow…once a winter is good enough for me, since it is usually all gone in 24 to 48 hours…summers can be a little muggy but everywhere is air conditioned and there are lakes all around us that are clean enough to swim in… (No sharks either).
Last Tuesday my third started college, (all 3 are going to colleges that are within driving distance). I could not be more proud or happier with the education they got here in NC. Granted there are cities and school systems I would not send my kids, but researching ahead of time will keep you from banging your head on the front porch banister. Our local high schools have about 900 children each. They work hard to keep kids in school and interested, one requirement for graduation was a determined amount of hours of community service. I thought what a ridiculous requirement; I didn’t want my kids hanging around petty criminals putting in their time, until I saw what they had as options. My middle daughter spent her hours at volunteering at an old folk’s home…now she is in her second year of nursing…headed for a BS; when she hit 9th grade I was just hoping she would graduate and not drop and head for an acting career in NY City. My son spent his hours with Special Olympics…wow! What a change in him after the first year of volunteering….I still see the teachers my children had in elementary school, they remember me. Most big school systems change teachers so often you don’t have a chance to bond with them.
Yep, we have front porches and neighborhood cook outs…just like in the Andy Griffith show and Mayberry. I drive 28 miles to work by choice, I could live closer but…I love the drive back and forth … it is so beautiful and green, I love passing the farms (which have stands out front in the summer, with fresh veggies), people walking their dogs in our little town, and waving as you drive by…and I know I don’t know them. They say life is slow down here, but I like sitting on the porch listening to crickets, knowing my neighbors names, going to the local fairs and letting my children take off with their friends knowing that I don’t have to worry as much as I would up north about random violence…not that it isn’t here it is just less here.
We do have a lower salary base but also a lower cost of living to balance it. People that I know here judge you for who you are not what kind of house you live in or how much you make. I might live in my own little happy utopia here but there is always room for one more family.
The piedmont (right down the center of the state) is probably your best bet. The coast is too transient (with the military bases and people just moving here for the beach then leaving) and west part of the state, mountain area is harder to find jobs.
Being a single mom is going to be hard anywhere you move, but life is what you make of it. I just happen to like my life here in small town north carolina.

Old 08-23-2006, 02:10 PM

463 posts, read 1,650,987 times
What a great post! I think people will want to know where Kienna9 lives

I do

Cassie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kienna9 View Post
I have been here in North Carolina for 22 years, and would not for one moment think of moving back north (Pittsburgh). I live in a small town, less than 4,000 people. We are within 30 minutes driving time of Charlotte, Greensboro, or Winston-Salem. All of these cities have very diverse cultures and plenty of places to view and take part in history, culture, and social events. Weekends find us choosing between an art exhibit in Charlotte or the apple festival the other direction. We are four hours from the beaches and three hours from the smoky mountains. The weather is great, I don’t miss the snow…once a winter is good enough for me, since it is usually all gone in 24 to 48 hours…summers can be a little muggy but everywhere is air conditioned and there are lakes all around us that are clean enough to swim in… (No sharks either).
Last Tuesday my third started college, (all 3 are going to colleges that are within driving distance). I could not be more proud or happier with the education they got here in NC. Granted there are cities and school systems I would not send my kids, but researching ahead of time will keep you from banging your head on the front porch banister. Our local high schools have about 900 children each. They work hard to keep kids in school and interested, one requirement for graduation was a determined amount of hours of community service. I thought what a ridiculous requirement; I didn’t want my kids hanging around petty criminals putting in their time, until I saw what they had as options. My middle daughter spent her hours at volunteering at an old folk’s home…now she is in her second year of nursing…headed for a BS; when she hit 9th grade I was just hoping she would graduate and not drop and head for an acting career in NY City. My son spent his hours with Special Olympics…wow! What a change in him after the first year of volunteering….I still see the teachers my children had in elementary school, they remember me. Most big school systems change teachers so often you don’t have a chance to bond with them.
Yep, we have front porches and neighborhood cook outs…just like in the Andy Griffith show and Mayberry. I drive 28 miles to work by choice, I could live closer but…I love the drive back and forth … it is so beautiful and green, I love passing the farms (which have stands out front in the summer, with fresh veggies), people walking their dogs in our little town, and waving as you drive by…and I know I don’t know them. They say life is slow down here, but I like sitting on the porch listening to crickets, knowing my neighbors names, going to the local fairs and letting my children take off with their friends knowing that I don’t have to worry as much as I would up north about random violence…not that it isn’t here it is just less here.
We do have a lower salary base but also a lower cost of living to balance it. People that I know here judge you for who you are not what kind of house you live in or how much you make. I might live in my own little happy utopia here but there is always room for one more family.
The piedmont (right down the center of the state) is probably your best bet. The coast is too transient (with the military bases and people just moving here for the beach then leaving) and west part of the state, mountain area is harder to find jobs.
Being a single mom is going to be hard anywhere you move, but life is what you make of it. I just happen to like my life here in small town north carolina.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:06 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,599 times
You should consider working for the NC Board of Tourism (if there is such a place). What a heartwarming endorsement for a small town lifestyle!

Old 08-23-2006, 06:21 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,562,426 times
Please don't be nervous.I really understand how you feel. I myself relocated here from the Kingston NY area, and lived in Conn most of my life. I would never move back even though I visit quite often. I was scared to death to move to the south. I came with my husband and children which were very small at the time. I said I would only stay one year, and am still 23 years later. The wake county school system was wonderful, and my children did quite well. I myself worked in the school system for years. There are so many great schools in the area. As far as finding friends, I have more friends than I ever would have though. I actually have alot more than I did in NY, where I felt people stuck to themselves more than here. When I moved in I knew everyone in my neighborhood in a matter of a few days. Everyone was warm and welcoming. I have helped many people relocate to this area, and one day hope to get all the out of state people together at a cookout or something. This is a wonderful place so don't worry at all. . Best of luck to you, and let me know if I can help you.

Regards,

Debbie

Old 08-24-2006, 05:11 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kienna9 View Post

This is great! Thanks for sharing with us and spreading some optimism around.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:03 AM

34 posts, read 110,572 times
Good insight here--http://parents.berkeley.edu/recommend/housing/nc.html

I think these UC Berkeley parents are spot on with their observations abt the culture here. Of course I'm a liberal from the NE, so many who post here would disagree.

& Yes, definitely read around this board.

Schools are a problem. You need to find the high-performing schools within a particular district (you can research the end-of-grade test scores for each school) and move to a neighborhood that feeds into those schools, and also research the likelihood of school rezoning in the near future. Many of the school districts are v. large, many of the schools are VERY large.

The state department of ed Web site may post above-mentioned score results, but you can also search the local newspaper's archives because the papers usually report EOG test scores, or SAT scores, etc., by school.

The local newspaper's archives should also be a good source of rezoning info. I would also look up members of the local school board and give them a call -- ask about rezoning! See if they sound intelligent. That will tell you a lot abt the school system.

If you buy in a new development, you need to research upcoming hwy construction; an outer loop was just built right next to my old dvlpmt. Also, if your new home backs up to woods, it better be a publicly owned preserve or park, or it will probably be gone shortly!

Old 09-01-2006, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 10,488 times
Default Nervous single mother

It is funny I am in the same predicament. I am a single mother looking to relocate to NC next year where I have absolutely no family. I am attending Seton Hall and working on my master's degree in school counseling. I too want to find an area that it culturally enriched and has many employment opportunites in my field. I am curious also as to the best places to move and find guidance counselor jobs in NC and the areas that are best for families and single mothers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina