Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 10:47 AM

615 posts, read 666,184 times

Advertisements

While at my moms (and her husband was there) I was telling her I lost 16 lbs since last time I was there and then asked how long its been since my last visit. I do the math and found I lost 4 lbs a week and share that information with her.

Fast forward and now getting ready to end my visit. Her husband says "Come back after you lose another 16 lbs in 4 weeks.". I don't respond. Then he says "You can come back sooner than 4 weeks.".

They are paying my cellphone bill so I don't ask clarifying questions since when doing so people can get offended (by having to explain they mean).

I've been analyzing his comments. When you hear his comments, what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 10:49 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,374 times
He was joking. Don't read too much into it.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:57 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,668,250 times
It was either a harmless joke, or it was a passive aggressive poke at you. Does he have a habit of being that way to you. Only you know the answer to that part.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:57 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
I don't know what your relationship is with him (friendly, reserved, contentious, etc.) but without any more context I'd say it was said facetiously and was kind of insensitive but probably meant in a kidding manner - unless he is known to be snarky or snide. Was your mother present at the time - if so, what did she think?

Old 08-26-2015, 11:02 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Congrats on your weight loss, OP! We can't tell what his comment means, except that it seems like he's not the supportive type. Did either of them congratulate you? Have you reached your goal, or do you have more to lose? If the latter, his comment may have been a lame attempt at a joke. It sounds like he was impressed, though, with your progress, in spite of expressing himself oddly and clumsily.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-26-2015 at 11:16 AM..

Old 08-26-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
It was either a harmless joke, or it was a passive aggressive poke at you. Does he have a habit of being that way to you. Only you know the answer to that part.
By joke do you mean it was a rub that people do to each other when they know and like each other and think they can handle it?

So far I think he is sometimes considerate and sometimes is less than nice (understatement). On the other hand, he lacks interpersonal relationship skills more so than I do (he is over 65 years old).

My mom said I don't like him before I even met him. My first meet with him I was 330lbs and he said I looked good and thin. Now I understand her message back then to mean nobody likes him so I won't either.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:12 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Depends on your relationship - does he usually make funny comments? How do you usually react to them?

To me it sounds like just a funny dumb comment.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:13 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Depends on your relationship - does he usually make funny comments? How do you usually react to them?

To me it sounds like just a funny dumb comment.

Yup, tried to be funny, then realized it wasn't and stepped back. No biggie,.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Congrats on your weight loss, OP! We can't tell what his comment means, except that it seems like he's not the supportive type. Did either of them congratulate you? Have you reached your goal, or do you have more to lose? If so, his comment may have been a lame attempt at a joke. It sounds like he was impressed, though, with your progress, in spite of expressing himself oddly and clumsily.
Thank you, Ruth.

No, I didn't get any support. They are thin, both ectomorphs. I'm guessing they were thinking about themselves when I said how much I lost.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yup, tried to be funny, then realized it wasn't and stepped back. No biggie,.
This is probably it. Said something he regretted, tried to back-pedal and made it worse. I should be able to visit my mom when I and she wants to visit. Not when he says. But I think this is me over-analyzing.

I appreciate the input from everyone!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships