Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 08:06 AM

914 posts, read 945,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Over Christmas I saw some relatives I hadn't seen in a decade. One relative, who is in her 70s, kept asking me the nosiest questions about things that I did not want to share, certainly with an entire group of people staring at me --- questions about my financial status, or a my personal life.

A few times I was able to divert the questions, and I resorted to "If I told you I'd have to kill you." (which she should have understood given that her son was in the military!) And then I responded, "Well that's nobody's business...(hint hint.) But she kept asking these privacy-invading questions.

Has anyone come up with a good, polite way to deflect questions like this without being rude? Otherwise I like this lady and I wouldn't want to alienate any of my relatives.
Ann Landers came up with the answer to this long ago.

Look at the person, smile, and ask "Why do you want to know?"

Another thing I like to do is look at them and say, "Hey, how 'bout them Bears?"
You can substitute your own favorite sports teams for Bears if you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 09:16 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,520,527 times
Whenever I am in an uncomfortable situation I retort to joking. I'd say "It's all good" and then make a joke. Changing the subject is also a good tactic. She must be just old and curious. You shouldn't feel offended or pressured to say anything. I usually treat very old people who ask silly questions just like kids who ask silly questions. If your 7 year old niece or nephew would have asked the same questions you would have known what to reply, right?

Old 01-10-2014, 09:46 AM

3,579 posts, read 4,523,385 times
I would just say. My life is boring, let's talk about you.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:04 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,579,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Over Christmas I saw some relatives I hadn't seen in a decade. One relative, who is in her 70s, kept asking me the nosiest questions about things that I did not want to share, certainly with an entire group of people staring at me --- questions about my financial status, or a my personal life.

A few times I was able to divert the questions, and I resorted to "If I told you I'd have to kill you." (which she should have understood given that her son was in the military!) And then I responded, "Well that's nobody's business...(hint hint.) But she kept asking these privacy-invading questions.

Has anyone come up with a good, polite way to deflect questions like this without being rude? Otherwise I like this lady and I wouldn't want to alienate any of my relatives.
"I refuse to answer that on the grounds that I don't wanna."

Old 01-10-2014, 03:41 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,802,527 times
I am completely shocked at how closed the original posters and the responds are!

Has anyone read the book, "How to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie? He says in the book the best way to make friends is ask people about themselves. Why are you so private, these are relatives just trying to be nice.

I wish my relatives would ask questions about what I am up to. I could not picture any question they would ask would be that confidential. Loosen up!

Old 01-10-2014, 05:09 PM

914 posts, read 945,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I am completely shocked at how closed the original posters and the responds are!

Has anyone read the book, "How to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie? He says in the book the best way to make friends is ask people about themselves. Why are you so private, these are relatives just trying to be nice.

I wish my relatives would ask questions about what I am up to. I could not picture any question they would ask would be that confidential. Loosen up!
They are asking about things that are NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS.
It is obvious the OP does not want to give the requested information.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:11 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,675,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
I say turn all of her invasion questions around and ask them of her!

She says this:

"How are your finances?"

You say this: "Great. How are your finances?"

She'll get the message really fast--this I guarantee!
Great - I like that!

Old 01-10-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I used to say, "I'm going to have to insist that my attorney be present before I answer that."

lol - very good! I'm going to have to try that one.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Just say, "That's none of your effin' business. Now shut the eff up." Except don't really say eff. When she tells someone and they ask you about it, get a concerned look on your face, deny everything and ask if she's shown other signs of dementia.
That's very funny ---

Old 01-10-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
"I refuse to answer that on the grounds that I don't wanna."
That's also very good. I might change the wording slightly to something like, "I'm afraid I can't answer that because I don't want to." ---with a smile and chuckle. If someone doesn't get the message after that, then they're a dumboldt and don't even deserve further attention.

There's so many good suggestions here, I should have made a multi-quote....I thank you all

I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships