Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2006, 03:45 PM

10 posts, read 57,902 times

Advertisements

For what it's worth, I've got some of my own pictures and a bunch of pictures from the newspaper assembled here.

http://www.abeservers.com/floodpics

Conklin got hit the worst in this area, huge parts of it inaccessible, and uninhabitable. Several natural gas explosions reported down there. Traffic was also a circus sideshow once the first few bridges reopened, took almost an hour and and a half to cross from the Tompkins Bridge area to western Endicott Friday, probably could've done it faster if I'd gone towards the airport then around back through Twist Run on the country roads.

Overall, out of Greater Binghamton/Western Broome towns, I'd have to say western Endicott (Union Endicott) and the Washington Avenue area got the best of it. Although we were eventually pretty much closed inside the city except for the 26 bridge (and there wasn't really anywhere to go on the Vestal side of that), we had sewer, most businesses stayed open, virtually everyone had power, we had drinkable water for 24 hours, and were free to travel within the town with no flooding or road closures in either of the major downtown areas. (Glendale Drive and West Corners weren't quite as lucky in that respect.) The levees all held, and although people were pretty concerned, since nobody could get to work, we basically had a two day carnival, people wandering around with their families, eating sandwiches and talking. Washington Avenue looked like the old postcards from the 'glory days', with every parking space filled and sidewalks packed.

Apalachin's Tioga Terrace, being on a mountainside, obviously was safe, but they did lose power for about 48 hours and were stuck up there for the first 24-36 when the highways flooded out on either side. Crazy few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2006, 05:01 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Wow, great photos and love the commentary.
Scary though. I have a friend in Oneonta NY, her house was OK but she sent some pretty sobering photos and articles from the local newspaper.

Old 07-02-2006, 05:49 PM

26 posts, read 365,396 times
Default Reagarding The pictures

I went to the website you posted: http://www.abeservers.com/floodpics. I looked at the pictures. I am speechless.
Thank you for sharing them with all.

Old 07-02-2006, 07:47 PM

363 posts, read 2,019,960 times
Wow! Those pictures...My jaw is dropped. My heart goes out to all on the losing end of this. Much, much luck to all of you.

Old 07-09-2006, 11:20 PM

9 posts, read 89,760 times
Default I worked some on flood cleanup

in Conklin Friday the 7th at the Maine's Paper and Food warehouse. I could only take one day and I only got through that by being thankful I wasn't cleaning up the mess in my own home. Maine's supplies all the paper and food for Burger King countrywide as well as other restaurants and businesses so the mess was pretty substantial. Add to that no power (therefore no cooler) and it made for quite a nasty environment.

I didn't mind the grueling physical labor as much as worrying that what I was working in might cause some sort of health problems. I didn't make it to get the tetanus and TB shots that were being promoted for anyone working in the flood cleanup before I went out there so I decided against going out again.

Torri

Old 08-15-2006, 11:09 AM

59 posts, read 325,310 times
Wow!!! Those are amazing pictures. I had to take I-88 on July 1st, and ended having to take the detour. It was crazy what I had seen in person! The pictures definitely can't capture the full effect, but wow!

Old 02-11-2007, 07:48 AM

1 posts, read 12,178 times
can't seem to get to these pictures, is there some special way? clicking everything on the website, nothing working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York