Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2008, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,011 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have been offered a job in Ithaca for around $50000. How would this change my lifestyle as I have 2 children (14 and 16) and my wife is an elementary School Teacher in the UK. Where is the best place to live, how much would it cost to rent, what is the cost of living, How much is a decent car ????

I have many questions and would like some answers to guide me if possible.

Thanks all.

Glyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 06:25 PM

417 posts, read 1,895,383 times
Glyn (now there's a name you don't see in America often!),

How would moving to Ithaca change your lifestyle? Well, that depends on what your current lifestyle is!

$50k a year puts you at nearly double the median household income for Ithaca, and if your wife can land a teaching job too, comparatively you'll be doing pretty well financially. Granted, upstate NY is economically depressed, and that median figure reflects it. It also may not be quick and easy for her to land a teaching gig, as there are certifications, unions, etc. etc. to deal with. But Ithaca has a fair number of alternative and private elementary institutions, where certification is less important (but pay is usually lower). There are those on these message boards that absolutely hate Ithaca, but many more who recognize that it is a pretty unique and special small city- you'll suffer some culture shock (the degree will depend on you as well as where in the UK you're coming from), but I'd argue that you'll suffer less of it in Ithaca than you would moving to most other American cities of similar size. Ithaca is quite progressive and 'education-oriented' yet also has somewhat of a sense of isolation as there is no major highway into the city. It is more like many parts of Europe where you leave a (small) city and almost immediately you're in the country, as opposed to miles of suburban sprawl.

You'll find it is much, much cheaper to buy, register and own a car in the US than it is in the UK or Europe. How much depends on your definition of 'decent!' Personally I've never spent more than $4000 for a car... you can certainly get something presentable, economical and reliable for under $10k. Don't fall for the American idea that bigger is better! And while yes, Ithaca gets a good amount of snow and can get icy, if you're a good drive you DO NOT need 4wd. Of course, America's is a 'car culture,' and your kids are at or approaching driving age, so you'll have to budget for buying them cars as well, as it is social death for an American teen to not have their own car! (I'm only half joking, sadly......) Depending on where you live in Ithaca you're family can likely get by with just one car- a good part of Ithaca is walkable (though you'll develop your calves on the hills), but you'll still want a car. Others will have to chime in about what particular neighborhoods are best, as while I visit Ithaca often, I don't live there.

Whether it is a 'good move' or not..... I've already established that I really like Ithaca, but you might want to look at a bigger picture of whether moving to America from the UK is a good idea. No doubt you know that our economy is in particularly poor shape, our public education system leaves much to be desired, and our health-care system is particularly problematic. Throw in climate change and peak oil and there are a lot of things to consider. While Ithaca has many progressive and community-based organizations and may be better prepared than the majority of places in America to deal with the major issues and changes confronting the planet, the UK on the whole might be further along. Already in the US people's lives are 'contracting' and networks of family and friends are starting to become more important and essential. Moving to the US, you'll be leaving that behind and having to start from scratch. Anyway, I'm getting far away from answering your questions now and just throwing noodles at the wall!

Try and get your potential new employer to fly you and your family over to check out Ithaca. If you do it in the next three months you'll be seeing the area at its worst (climatically, that is), which might not be a bad idea. We can get some serious weather here!
Good luck!

Last edited by honeychrome; 12-23-2008 at 06:41 PM..

Old 12-24-2008, 07:36 AM

701 posts, read 3,334,446 times
I can't speak to the school systems, but a bit of research should tell you which are the good high schools in the Ithaca region.

It will likely be difficult for your wife to find a job quickly, as she would have to undertake New York licensing requirements. But if schools are desperate enough for teachers, I have heard of termporary waivers of licensing, etc.

$50,000 per year would be enough to survive in Ithaca. Ithaca itself is a bit more expensive than some of the immediately surrounding area, because of the Cornell University. (Affluent students and professors driving up costs of rental properties).
Because it's a college town though, there are plenty of rentals available. For a 3 bedroom in Ithaca, you are probably going to pay around $1500 per month, but might be able to get it down to around $1000 per month as you move away from the University, and possibly a bit outside of Ithaca. (You should try looking at Ithaca Craig's list for rentals).

Now, on to Ithaca itself. It is a wonderful town, partially due to the presence of Cornell University. It is an extraordinarily scenic part of the state, with Ithaca itself being a bit of a mini-cosmpolitan hub for culture, restaurants, etc.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:36 PM

107 posts, read 508,737 times
IMO, $50k would be the very minimum salary that could lure me (also with wife and two kids) back to upstate NY. I certainly wouldn't do it for less and I'd feel a lot more comfortable with 60k or more. The 50-60k range is a toughie and I would make sure the job has decent benefits, good health insurance being priority number one. Nothing against Ithaca (I absolutely love the town), but the upstate economy is in the dumper, NY taxes are high, health care is expensive, insuring a car can be expensive, and heating a house in winter can be costly.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:00 PM

94,362 posts, read 125,293,281 times
Here's some good information:Ithaca, NY Apartments and Houses for Rent, Local Apartment and Home Rentals, House, Townhome, and Condo Rentals, Vacation Rentals, Roommate and Sublet Classifieds :: Search Results - Page 1

ithaca apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Housing Solution -- Ithaca New York's #1 source for rental housing, apartments, sublets, and student housing.

Ithaca Apartments For Rent and Ithaca Apartment Rentals with IthacaRentals.com

Ithaca City School District - Employment Opportunities

Ithaca City School District - Home

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2007&county=Tompkins (broken link)

ithaca, ny car dealerships - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: