Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2006, 05:31 PM

14 posts, read 50,143 times

Advertisements

Hi!
We are former Long Islanders who have relocated to Phoenix, AZ. We're not happy out here in the west, so we're thinking of moving back, but not to L.I. - we'd prefer upstate (Ulster, Dutchess counties)- Catskill region. We need a place with good employment, and good schools (we have an 11 yr. old). Preferably a place with lots to do. Any suggestions?
Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 10:48 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,470,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ev314 View Post
Hi!
We are former Long Islanders who have relocated to Phoenix, AZ. We're not happy out here in the west, so we're thinking of moving back, but not to L.I. - we'd prefer upstate (Ulster, Dutchess counties)- Catskill region. We need a place with good employment, and good schools (we have an 11 yr. old). Preferably a place with lots to do. Any suggestions?
Thanks for your help!

Soon you will be a former zonie me too. Check into Emerald Green, it's by Lake Louise Marie. It's not as far up as the Catskills but it about 10-15 to Monticello.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:42 AM

2 posts, read 22,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ev314 View Post
Hi!
Thanks for your help!
if you're looking for good employment and good schools, you better chose wisely; many upstate ny towns don't have what you're looking for.

Old 11-14-2006, 12:37 PM

17 posts, read 117,286 times
My son is 7 and we're also from L.I.. We're looking into Woodstock. The town is charming, the homes have land, and the taxes are way lower than L.I... It's @ 15 minutes fron Kingston. Kingston has lots of amenities and shopping.
As far as schools....I pay a huge school tax bill for a district that is known to be outstanding, but frankly I'm not impressed. the teachers are so young and inexperienced and there aren't any FABULOUS extras being offered. I've become a lot less concerned with the quality of a school in my move. I'm concerned more about violence and the quality of PEOPLE.

good luck!!!

Old 11-14-2006, 03:31 PM
D&T

33 posts, read 175,152 times
I don't know what type of employment you're looking for - but honestly, the pickings are pretty slim in the Greene/Ulster county areas. There are good schools, but like I said, local employment is limited - unless you're looking for jobs in retail/education - in which case, there are multiple avenues you can check on. Dutchess will cost a lot more to live in than Ulster and other points north - but you would have more employment options.

If you don't mind commuting, you could live in the Greene/Columbia area and commute to the Capital District Area.

In any case, I'm sure it will cost less to live than it did when you were on Long Island! Good luck deciding!

Old 11-14-2006, 08:48 PM

262 posts, read 1,232,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative1 View Post
My son is 7 and we're also from L.I.. We're looking into Woodstock. The town is charming, the homes have land, and the taxes are way lower than L.I... It's @ 15 minutes fron Kingston. Kingston has lots of amenities and shopping.
As far as schools....I pay a huge school tax bill for a district that is known to be outstanding, but frankly I'm not impressed. the teachers are so young and inexperienced and there aren't any FABULOUS extras being offered. I've become a lot less concerned with the quality of a school in my move. I'm concerned more about violence and the quality of PEOPLE.

good luck!!!
There are schools upstate that are comparable or better than the "outstanding" schools here on LI and I'm willing to bet the quality of people is better. Too bad there is not much to offer in the job market...at least the market my husband and I are in. We are forced to stay on LI for that reason. I love LI, I really do. It would be an ideal place to live if it weren't for the overcrowdedness and "attitude".

Old 12-05-2006, 02:29 PM

29 posts, read 144,075 times
Hi there,im going to be Very honest with you,im from longisland NY and moved to upstate ny approx 4 hrs away, The cost of living is great but im soo bored out of my mind,i mean there is things to do and it is peaceful,but if thats where your from "LI" then its so hard to adjust to the upstate lifestyle

Old 04-03-2007, 04:57 PM

34 posts, read 207,946 times
new paltz, rhinebeck, woodstock, red hook

i love all of those towns.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:24 PM

166 posts, read 986,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by langster View Post
if you're looking for good employment and good schools, you better chose wisely; many upstate ny towns don't have what you're looking for.
LOL! I lived in Upstate NY for 4 years. I agree with this statement. As soon as I was 21, I left my Grandparents house and left for Florida. Glad I did!

As far as something to do. I think Ulster County was pretty boring. I usually had to take a train to NYC to find excitement - unless, you like looking at old hippies, waterfalls and deer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York