Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 03:47 PM

10 posts, read 27,221 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I hope you can help me and give me some advice on where to search for an apartment.

I am considering accepting a job at the USMA at West Point. My long time girlfriend would be coming with me but would probably only be able to find a job in the NYC area unless she gets lucky.

Is this even a reasonable living situation? I am not familiar with commutes or new york very much. Is there a good area that splits the too? or an area that has an easy train ride into the city that would still give me a reasonable commute? I would rather it be easier on her than me fyi.

If it is going to be too much of a hassle I will consider just turning down the job. It is a good fed govt job that pays a much higher salary than I make now (almost 75-80% more). Quality of life is more important to me than making lots of money and dealing with insane commutes day in day out.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 04:02 PM

275 posts, read 793,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT999 View Post
Hi all,

I hope you can help me and give me some advice on where to search for an apartment.

I am considering accepting a job at the USMA at West Point. My long time girlfriend would be coming with me but would probably only be able to find a job in the NYC area unless she gets lucky.

Is this even a reasonable living situation? I am not familiar with commutes or new york very much. Is there a good area that splits the too? or an area that has an easy train ride into the city that would still give me a reasonable commute? I would rather it be easier on her than me fyi.

If it is going to be too much of a hassle I will consider just turning down the job. It is a good fed govt job that pays a much higher salary than I make now (almost 75-80% more). Quality of life is more important to me than making lots of money and dealing with insane commutes day in day out.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Maybe the Tarrytown area would work. Getting into NYC (Grand Central) would mean taking Metro North. Then depending on where in NYC, it would mean a subway or bus. West Point is about 30 miles from Tarrytown, over the Tappan Zee Bridge.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:14 PM

715 posts, read 2,510,298 times
People commute to NYC from much farther north than West Point. West Point is in Orange County, and is within the NYC 'area.' Fortunately, a lot of public transportation is available for those commuting to NYC from the far reaches of its statistical area. Your ideal location would be somewhere along Metro North's Hudson Line for your girlfriend's commuting purposes. If you can afford Westchester County, go for it. Peekskill, Croton, Ossining, and Tarrytown are all appealing options. Your commute would be a 30-45 minute drive north (and over the Bear Mountain Bridge), and her's a 35-55 minute train ride south.

Another option along MNRR's Hudson Line is Cold Spring. Your commute would be quick a 20 minute drive south (and over the Bear Mountain Bridge) and her's a 70 minute train ride south.

If you are priced out of both counties, look in to Southern Dutchess County -- especially Beacon, NY. Your commute would be a 35 minute drive south (and over the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge) and her's a 80 minute train ride south.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:12 PM

10 posts, read 27,221 times
Thanks for the info. I will start checking into those areas.

What kind of rent would I be looking at for a resonable 1BR in a place like Tarrytown or Croton compared to say Cold Springs?

I will be on about a 50k salary. The plan is for my girlfriend to find a job in her field at about the same salary (much easier said than done, I know). It would be a difficult decision for me to pack up and leave without her securing a job.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:05 PM

715 posts, read 2,510,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT999 View Post
Thanks for the info. I will start checking into those areas.

What kind of rent would I be looking at for a resonable 1BR in a place like Tarrytown or Croton compared to say Cold Springs?

I will be on about a 50k salary. The plan is for my girlfriend to find a job in her field at about the same salary (much easier said than done, I know). It would be a difficult decision for me to pack up and leave without her securing a job.
For a decent place in Tarrytown or Croton, expect to pay at least $1200 a month. Somewhere in the $1200-1600 ballpark. Cold Spring doesn't currently have a lot up for rent -- the prices are similar to those in Westchester, though. Cold Spring is quite upscale.

Prices will drop off once you get north of the Putnam County border and into Dutchess County. You can get a decent place in Beacon for well under $1200.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York