Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 06:34 AM

270 posts, read 504,870 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm actually interested in attending this college. I think I'm going to call the admissions office as soon as they open and try and find out if I can qualify for admission to the teacher's college. I have a major GPA that's below 4.0, and I haven't taken the GRE, yet, but I'll likely score around average, with a higher score on the language-related parts. I'm also only minimally involved in on-campus organizations.

Does anyone have any experience with this college in general, and what should I do if I want to stand out enough to get in? After I got in, how would I pay for it?

If you are an alumnus, I would also like to know about your experiences with the college and if it's really a good choice or a lot of hype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 06:39 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,952,296 times
Are you talking about the undergraduate program or just Teacher's College?

Old 02-14-2010, 07:06 AM

I want to hear experiences with Columbia University in general. If you've attended to teacher's college, I would certainly like to hear your experiences.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:45 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,315,960 times
Columbia University is one of the Ivy League schools. It is currently ranked the #8 university in the US and always ranks among the Top 10. It is extremely selective, admitting about 9-10% of applicants for the freshman class. Average SAT score is around 2250 (750 on each part).

For comparisson, I believe you said you are currently at University of Alabama. If you're at the flagship (main) campus, yor school ranks #96 in the US and admits over 65% of applicants.

To be blunt, Columbia is in a completely different (higher & better) league. Without a 3.8 TOTAL (noticed you mentioned your "major" GPA), 2250-2300 SAT score, and outstanding teacher recommendations and demonstrated leadership (not merely "involvement") in extracurriculars, I'm sorry to tell you that you don't stand half a chance of admission.

If you are looking at Columbia for grad school (your orig post is kind of vague mentioning GRE), it is equally if not more selective depending on your field. Columbia is one of the top research institutions in the world and has no trouble luring grad students due to it's prime urban location (ie, getting a MA in Art History? Research along with the brighest art minds in the world at The Met, MoMA, Whitney, etc.)

Also, undergrad tuition, room, and board tops out at over $50,000 per year. About half of undergrads get financial aid (avg $30,000), but $80k is a lot of student loans to take on if your end goal is to be a teacher. It could easily take 20-30 years to pay that back @ $500/mo or so.

Also, transfer applications for next year (2010-2011) were likely due either 1/15 or 2/15, so there is no way you'll be there next fall if that's what you were thinking.

Sorry to be so negative, but Columbia is much more than a college in NYC for someone who decides "ooh, going to school in NYC would be SO much fun! Columbia's there, guess I'll give them a call and show up next September!!"

If you are, as you say, "average" in Alabama (a state generally looked down upon for it's educational system, both grade school and university) and you do really want to move to NYC, you have two options:
1. Transfer into a less competive SUNY or CUNY school and find a way to pay for it.
2. Turn around the rest of your undergrad experience at Bama- nothing less than A's will do, pay to take a Kaplan or Princeton Review GRE course and do better than "average", get to know your professors so they will be able to write outstanding recs, and get off your tail and get involved on campus!!

Old 02-15-2010, 05:32 AM

I'm not going to the University of Alabama. It's another university that's not as well known, but perhaps your stats are pretty much correct. I thought getting into Columbia was a stretch, but perhaps not impossible. Yes, I probably couldn't just show up and expect to be accepted. I would obviously need a plan, and there are some things I need to improve. I need to work on my people skills, for one. You may be right, though. It might be way out of my league. I think I may at least try and get more information, though.

Even if it isn't for me, I'm still fascinated by Ivies, and I would like to hear as much as possible about this one.

Last edited by surburbangirlie; 02-15-2010 at 06:20 AM..

Old 02-15-2010, 01:05 PM

82 posts, read 305,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegestudentfromalabama View Post
I'm not going to the University of Alabama. It's another university that's not as well known, but perhaps your stats are pretty much correct. I thought getting into Columbia was a stretch, but perhaps not impossible. Yes, I probably couldn't just show up and expect to be accepted. I would obviously need a plan, and there are some things I need to improve. I need to work on my people skills, for one. You may be right, though. It might be way out of my league. I think I may at least try and get more information, though.

Even if it isn't for me, I'm still fascinated by Ivies, and I would like to hear as much as possible about this one.

If you dont mind my asking, what exactly is your overall GPA and what is your major?

Also what year are you in? If you are not yet a senior then you still have time to improve on both your GPA and extracurriculars.

Columbia is probably a longshot, but if not there you could consider "Southern Ivies" such as UNC or Vanderbilt.

If you MUST be in New York City then consider schools such as NYU, Fordham, St. Johns, Hofstra. Also if your willing to travel upstate for the duration of your grad education then Syracuse, Rochester and SUNY's Binghampton, Stony Brook, & Buffalo are good targets.

Last edited by onlinewebsearcher; 02-15-2010 at 01:24 PM..

Old 02-15-2010, 01:12 PM

457 posts, read 1,345,838 times
I know a couple people who go there and it's no joke. It's one of the most prestigious schools in the country and you have to be elite to get in.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:18 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,315,960 times
The Ivy League is a collegiate athletic conference, just like the SEC or ACC or Big 10. That is their connection and why the rivalries exist.

Most were founded as universities for white men in the 1700 and 1800s. Most did not let women attend until well after WWII. They also did not allow minorities or Jews in until the 1960s or later.

They are some of the best schools because of their long academic traditions, but they are not that different than Stanford, Duke, or other elite schools.

Why the fascination?

Old 02-15-2010, 01:27 PM

82 posts, read 305,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
The Ivy League is a collegiate athletic conference, just like the SEC or ACC or Big 10. That is their connection and why the rivalries exist.
Most were founded as universities for white men in the 1700 and 1800s. Most did not let women attend until well after WWII. They also did not allow minorities or Jews in until the 1960s or later.
They are some of the best schools because of their long academic traditions, but they are not that different than Stanford, Duke, or other elite schools.
Why the fascination?

youre right, Stanford, Duke, Vandy, are just as good as any Ivy.

But the top Ivies are recognized as THE best schools on Earth and carry a lot of prestige

Old 02-15-2010, 02:14 PM

917 posts, read 2,949,531 times
The top lib arts colleges are up there as well and just as competitive. I've applied for my MFA at Columbia this year and I know my competition is steep. I've got a perfect GPA in my major and a 3.5 overall from a little Ivy (I turned down Columbia for undergrad because it was bigger than I wanted at 18). I also have three years of great experience in my field, I've won awards for my work, and I have great professional and academic references. From my understanding, that's par for the course for applicants applying for my program. I think I have a good chance of getting in, but I'm not a shoo-in either. That's the kind of competition you'll find at the school.

I've seen some of your other posts and you sound like you don't really know what to do once you graduate. Seriously, work for a year or two once you graduate- you can do that in Alabama or NYC. Once you've worked for a year or so and saved up some money, you can go back to school, join the Peace Corp, travel abroad or do whatever you want. You sound like your head is all over the place, so work for a year and take time to figure it out. Focus on getting the best grades you can your senior year- that's what's important whether you are applying to an Ivy. The recs, the involvement, all those extras can come in working after graduation. You don't have to go straight to grad school after undergrad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City