Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2009, 03:43 PM

6 posts, read 42,465 times

Advertisements

hi,
i am planing to live in hoboken.I was wondering how to do the commute to NYC.Let's say i got out at night in NYC,when is the late train from Penn station to hoboken during the week and week-end?
Is there another way to go to hoboken?bus?light rail?how much is a cab from times square to hoboken?
How about the commute in NJ.is it possible to drive from hoboken to let's say edison.Is the commute really bad.Is it more advisable to use the NJ transit.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 04:08 PM

655 posts, read 1,991,792 times
the best way from midtown to hoboken is the PATH train. It's about a 15-20 minute trip from the 33rd street station, which connects with the Sixth Avenue Subway (B-D-F-V) and the Broadway line (N-R-Q)

Old 03-05-2009, 05:08 PM

297 posts, read 505,221 times
There are 2 main ways to commute from Hoboken to NYC. The first is PATH. it runs very frequently and goes 24hrs. The 2nd is the ferry. I'm not sure when this stops running. I know a lot of people in hoboken that take the ferry because their apt is closer to it and they just walk to the ferry, then when they go into the city at night to drink they take PATH back and a taxi from there to their apt. It just depends on which is closer to your apt. A cab from times square to hoboken would be insane. You'd be in the car 20 mins or more because you'd have to go through the lincoln tunnel, which would make your ride even higher. I'd say it would be higher than $50. Yes, you can drive from Hoboken to Edison by taking I-95 Jersey turnpike and it would probably take 45mins or less. It's not a bad ride at all. I've only had trouble on 95 around east rutherford. anytime i've gone south from essex co. to the airport it's been very clear. it would probably be quicker and make more sense to drive to edison than take NJ transit. However, I'd never recommend driving from hoboken to manhattan. that's just crazy.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:17 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
Taking the ferry isn't quite the delight that's been implied: it's REALLY expensive, even with a monthly pass. PATH is the way to go.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:54 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,627,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rph0111 View Post
hi,
i am planing to live in hoboken.I was wondering how to do the commute to NYC.Let's say i got out at night in NYC,when is the late train from Penn station to hoboken during the week and week-end?
Is there another way to go to hoboken?bus?light rail?how much is a cab from times square to hoboken?
How about the commute in NJ.is it possible to drive from hoboken to let's say edison.Is the commute really bad.Is it more advisable to use the NJ transit.
thanks
This link will help u, PATH is the only train from hoboken to nypenn or wtc
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey - PATH (http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/path/html/time.html - broken link)

There is a njtransit bus that commutes between hoboken and nyportauthority. It's best to drive to Edison because it's a big township and the nearest station to hoboken is secaucus which u can't walk to. NJ forum could answer better, NYers dont come to jersey.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:46 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,925 times
PATH train runs 24 hours...it's basically a simplified (easier to navigate) subway system. The PATH is pretty convenient...even really late at night, I never really wait more than 15-20 mins. If you'll be living in UPTOWN Hoboken (6th street and above), you might be better served taking the bus to Manhattan, which I hear is also pretty convenient (except late nights, then you'd take the PATH).

Old 03-06-2009, 02:46 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,524,003 times
PATH to Manhattan, or the bus, but the bus is a big pain especially going in on weekend nights because the tunnel traffic is insane.

About traveling to Edison, there is a train. I think it leaves from Penn Station, so you have to build in another half hour of travel time. Check the NJ Transit website for schedule.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:13 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,845,202 times
Quote:
hi,
thanks
You have an easy commute to either midtown or downtown and easy access to NYC. The path is very efficient during the weekdays except late at night. Hoboken and Jersey City both have very easy commutes to lower Manhattan.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:04 AM

468 posts, read 2,357,906 times
Quote:
I know a couple people who do the reverse commute from Hoboken to Central New Jersey. It's not ideal. Owning a car in Hoboken can be tough because street parking is pretty scarce. You may have to alter your work schedule so you can get back early enough to get a spot, or spend time cruising.

Transit can work, but sometimes takes longer than you would think. You'd take the PATH train to Newark, and transfer to a New Jersey Transit train from there.

Edison in particular though is a spread-out, auto-dominated suburban township, so unless your job happens to be near the train station or have a shuttle, this might not be a viable option. Jersey City, Newark, and even Rahway and New Brunswick are better suited for taking transit from Hoboken since they're denser and have jobs concentrated downtown near their train stations.

But really if you live in Hoboken it's easier to commute to most of Manhattan than it is to commute to most of North and Central Jersey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
The path is very efficient during the weekdays except late at night
People often say this, but really, I don't think the fact that the PATH comes every 30 minutes at night is much different than the MTA subways coming every 20 minutes at night. The PATH is much better at keeping on schedule, so if you memorize when they come, you can plan to be at the station in time. The MTA doesn't do as good a job of sticking to the schedule so you just have to go down and wait for up to 20 minutes (or more during "track work," which is literally every weekend). The PATH rarely has service interruptions.

Last edited by passdoubt; 03-08-2009 at 07:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City