Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 10:10 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,587,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
IPS: the guy from Jackson Heights I'm going to Woodstock again!!
Hey rl, are you sure you wanna return there? It seems that you are already carrying a heavy burden in life from earlier exposure to that place of notoriety. Why not just do the Atlanta trip and return safely to rejoin us here in NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 05:44 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,744,516 times
ha ha. It's Woodstock, Ga that I'm going to (that's where my folks live outside Atlanta)--the poster from Jackson Hts i referred to is "analytical keys" who's been to Woodstock, Ga and knows the area

I myself have never been to Woodstock, NY (I was only 7 when they had the festival) but I do take an interest in the 60's

I'm not into drugs at all, never had been, I just take paxil because it was recommended and it certainly does help me in a few ways

Old 11-14-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
ha ha. It's Woodstock, Ga that I'm going to (that's where my folks live outside Atlanta)--the poster from Jackson Hts i referred to is "analytical keys" who's been to Woodstock, Ga and knows the area

I myself have never been to Woodstock, NY (I was only 7 when they had the festival) but I do take an interest in the 60's

I'm not into drugs at all, never had been, I just take paxil because it was recommended and it certainly does help me in a few ways
rl, hope you're enjoying that trip. On your return flight, just relax, take a deep breath, think of all the beautiful experiences you've had in your life, have a glass of sherry, and you'll be over the anxiety you mentioned. Just don't think of TV's to be repaired, cable service to buy, noise in your apartment, grumpy landlords, how to fix your stove, and all those things that can, and have indeed, caused you much trial and tribulation in the past.

Happy flying back home!

Old 11-14-2008, 10:39 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,282,210 times
Quote:
I was the one who posted the week of 9/8 about my first flight since 1978, how i overcame the fear and how I'm OK ( I'm not panic attack material but some strong stomach upset as can be expected) with flying basically(which i will remedy with herbal dramamine)

What i am seeking this time is how to make the airport experience and waiting more pleasurable than before. I find the airports to be grim, depressing impersonal places and past attempts to relax(going in to Borders and buying MAD or RollingStone to read on the plane) really didn't help.

Should I not get that big cup of coffee?

I wish i could wait outside the airport until the last minute but once you go thru security you can't go back out

I don't have a laptop to focus on so that's out

Any ideas? I'm on 3 medications so I can't stop in the bar for a drink so that's out too!!

Also, are passengers limited to bringing only one zip lock bag of gels and liquids in 3 oz/less bottles or can you bring more than one bag?

thanks so much

PS: the guy from Jackson Heights I'm going to Woodstock again!!
Do not get coffee. Unless you want to be someplace right after the flight. You want to be tired and relaxed on a plane, not fully awake. You can always get coffee on the plane later (most airlines still offer at least beverages) if you feel like a pick me up before landing, or just get some in the airport once you get off.

In the big chain pharmacies like Duane Reed or Rite Aid they usually sell travel packs (they usually come with deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo,etc) that come ready and follow FAA standards.

If you hate being in the airport so much try not to get there too early. Timing is delicate here though. You want to get there at a good time and not have to wait forever to check in or feel rushed but you also don't want to feel trapped later. But this depends on a few factors, mainly what Airline your using. Some have better facilities, or have quicker check-ins. Delta for example seems to be quicker than average, check-in wise.

If you have to burn time, the bar is usually the best place. I understand you can't drink but just get a soda or a juice or something. It's usually the most comfortable place. Like others have mentioned bring books, DVD player, mp3 player, these are all good for zoning out.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:47 AM

[quote=NooYowkur81;6156634] I understand you can't drink QUOTE]

Oops, rl..forget what I said about the Sherry. I now remember that you can't drink with the prescriptions, etc.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:40 PM

that's exactly what i do is get a coffee at the Seattle's Best Coffee Co before getting on the Atlanta MARTA subway(as well as get a salad because I'm HUNGRY)!!!

As for getting to the airport early I've inherited dad's trait of getting there too early. Last time i got there at 7:50 for an 11:30 flight. Back in the 70's this was about par for dad. Resulted from us almost missing a flight in the early 1970's because we got stuck behind a freight train in Rockland County and almost missed a flight at JFK. As a result dad overcompensated and made us arrive at least 2 hours early at the airport for every flight. I've inherited that trait it seems!!

Old 11-14-2008, 12:41 PM

you're absolutely right, no coffee before the flight!!

Old 11-14-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
As a result dad overcompensated and made us arrive at least 2 hours early at the airport for every flight. I've inherited that trait it seems!!
dad was actually prepping you up for today's post 9/11 requirements. smart man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City