Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 09:57 AM

12 posts, read 118,687 times

Advertisements

Whats up board any cops on here know of any good PBA lawyers? Any info would be greatly appreciated..I know i should talk to my pba delegate but things are moving kind of slow for me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 04:05 PM

67 posts, read 308,572 times
So I guess you were the 'friend' that got fired?

Old 09-14-2008, 05:18 PM

Let me tell you being on probation sucks...I understand if a rookie cop gets involved in a crazy incident where they are at fault ok they job should be in jeopardy. But if a rookie with a 1 1/2 who has nothing to do with an incident with an improper memo book entry gets fired but if an officer has 2 years on that person gets a cd just doesn't seem right. rookies make rookie mistakes it happens. Is my friend the first person to have an improper memo book entry on probation hell no. The day of the entry no crimes happen on his/her post and he gets treated as if was nothing because of probation. Let me ask you cops out there a question the guys with time on, if you guys had a kid on the job and he came home and told you the story i just presented you that he was GO15 as a witness about a memo book entry because some guy he worked with got jammed up and they wanted to know what you guys did when they worked together then 4 months later he tells you they modified him because of the same situation and then a month after being modified he comes home and tell you he got fired for the memo book entry. what would you guys same to your kid. "Your still on probation they can do what they want to you". I think you would thell your kid thats bS and where fighting for your job back especially. I value senior cops opinion because i fell its only right.
WHATS YOUR OPINION?

Old 09-14-2008, 06:31 PM

235 posts, read 1,086,633 times
Quote:
But if a rookie with a 1 1/2 who has nothing to do with an incident with an improper memo book entry gets fired but if an officer has 2 years on that person gets a cd just doesn't seem right.
THAT is the entire nature of the probationary period. You're basically fighting against the concept of probation, and I don't think you're going to succeed in getting rid of probation for new hires.

The bottom line is that if you're on probation, they can fire you for cause. They probably wouldn't have in this case, but there is a rape victim involved in these circumstances and that's what made this less than routine as far as discipline is concerned.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:56 PM

The incident was not a big deal. Ever since Compstat started, the job has been a numbers game which means your boss wants you to do x numbers of verticals to impress the CO, so the CO can say he's "doing something." You, being the naive rookie you were, listened to the 2-year hairbag and did a phantom vertical.

You weren't the first and you won't be the last. Unfortunately, due to a case of extreme unluckiness on your part, a woman happened to be getting raped at the same time and it was all recorded on camera.

You f-cked up, and just like any other job, you were fired. While on probation you can be fired for any reason with no trial necessary. The dept needed to make an example out of you, and honestly you were lucky you didn't get collared for Falsying Business Records.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:31 PM

Moocat and southqueens I hear what your saying but......I DID NOT WORK THAT DAY OF THE RAPE.... I WAS RDO. The only reason why I was every G.O. was because I worked with one of those guys the day before the rape. I was G.O. as a witness Thats what is messed up. So being on probation I get the same treatment as if I worked that day thats not right. Those guys were modified something like the day after. Me four months later that doesn't make sense. While being G.O. I was told that the cheif felt I didn't need to be modified And out of the blue i got modified. I had to ask around what I was being modified for Know body didn't know anything. Even the people that came and modified me didn't tell mme anything.My delegate had to call around for awhile to find out what I was being modified for. And this is what probation is about I didn't lie,hurt anyone never got in trouble and this is what the job does....

Last edited by Deebest78; 09-14-2008 at 08:47 PM..

Old 09-14-2008, 09:32 PM

So then what sort of improper memo book entry was the problem?

Old 09-14-2008, 10:32 PM

The few verticals i had in my book the day I worked with the guy. We never went over the air or anything. We were patroling and you know you have to put something in your book so we put verticles in our book. Is that a cause for termination. Nothing happen that day. It was the day after that the guy I worked with got jammed up. Thats how I got dragged into this. They wanted to know whay we did the day before.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:28 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,883,390 times
Quote:
I didn't lie
Uh, yeah you did.

Let me play devil's advocate here for a second. What is the difference between your lying & the the other guy's lying when someone was getting raped? It is malfeasance either way... unfortunately you got caught up in this other guys super-blunder.

Look, anyone with any amount OTJ has fudged their memobook at one time or another, whether it is the times of personals to bogus verticals. For anyone else who is reading this and still on probabation: Do your year on the street as straight as you can. You have to learn how to do the right things the right way before you you can do the wrong things the right way.

It may not hurt to contact the PBA for an attorney.... in case you haven't figured it out yet, just pull out your PBA card, look on the back for the number & give them a call. or look here:

http://nycpba.org/contact.html

Old 09-15-2008, 04:54 AM

363 posts, read 818,709 times
Default Amen to that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
You have to learn how to do the right things the right way before you you can do the wrong things the right way.
Ain't that the truth. Unfortunately, most of the rookies only has the guy/girl with six months on as their field training officer (FTO). All what they learn are bad habits from the start.

Look at it like this. If it was a regular nine to five, you would walk on eggshells until the last day of probation. PD should be taken the same way.

Last edited by akatrk; 09-15-2008 at 05:02 AM.. Reason: Added Comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City