Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2023, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 342 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting.

I am a 22-year old, Latin American female living alone with a dog, this is my first time on the city and I'll be working in Chelsea. I got an apartment in right on 105th street, just on Columbus avenue and I am super stoked. I am moving in next week. The place is really nice, but I haven't had a great chance to scope the area because I am in Florida. I apologize if I come off a bit green -- I know some folk have asked this same question before, and I read through all of them, but nothing super recent or coming from a young female.

I have heard mostly great things, but my aunt who lives towards Corona/Flushing has been telling me she felt really unsafe in the area and if I am honest it's really making me worried. People say the area near the park can be a bit concerning. One of the things that I appreciate about the neighborhood is its proximity to Columbia university, but I don't know if that's giving me a false impression of the safety itself. I don't want to be that neighbor afraid of her neighbors, so I really just want honesty in what to expect.

With this in mind I have a couple of questions:

Hows the subway station at 103 st next to Central park west? Do you feel safe walking to it from Columbus?

People have told me not to walk "through" the Douglas Houses, does that mean avoid Columbus (because I imagine I will want to walk down the street to the Target/HomeGoods/Whole Foods around W 100St) or directly cutting through the apartment complexes?

How is the vibe for students in the area? Should I expect to find people around my age?

Are there any dog runs you specifically recommend around the area?

I am also an artist, is there an art scene or interesting spaces I could look into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2023, 04:40 PM

1,067 posts, read 547,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddgirl View Post

I am also an artist, is there an art scene or interesting spaces I could look into?
Chelsea has one of the biggest art scenes in the city with a zillion galleries and also artists studios, so since you'll be there for work maybe you can start there. You can look up a map for the Chelsea galleries and for studios look up West Chelsea open studios. Not sure what kind of art scene you're looking for, but pretty much anywhere you look you'll find something. Welcome to NY!

Old 09-05-2023, 06:52 PM

5,689 posts, read 2,618,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddgirl View Post

I am a 22-year old, Latin American female living alone with a dog, this is my first time on the city and I'll be working in Chelsea. I got an apartment in right on 105th street, just on Columbus avenue and I am super stoked. I am moving in next week. The place is really nice, but I haven't had a great chance to scope the area because I am in Florida. I apologize if I come off a bit green -- I know some folk have asked this same question before, and I read through all of them, but nothing super recent or coming from a young female.

I have heard mostly great things, but my aunt who lives towards Corona/Flushing has been telling me she felt really unsafe in the area and if I am honest it's really making me worried. People say the area near the park can be a bit concerning. One of the things that I appreciate about the neighborhood is its proximity to Columbia university, but I don't know if that's giving me a false impression of the safety itself. I don't want to be that neighbor afraid of her neighbors, so I really just want honesty in what to expect.

With this in mind I have a couple of questions:

Hows the subway station at 103 st next to Central park west? Do you feel safe walking to it from Columbus?

People have told me not to walk "through" the Douglas Houses, does that mean avoid Columbus (because I imagine I will want to walk down the street to the Target/HomeGoods/Whole Foods around W 100St) or directly cutting through the apartment complexes?

How is the vibe for students in the area? Should I expect to find people around my age?

Are there any dog runs you specifically recommend around the area?

Used to live in the area Years ago before it even got that nice shopping area. I'm still around the area frequently and never had an issue or felt unsafe. I walk through those projects all the time. You will be fine. As always, no matter the area keep your street smarts.

Old 09-06-2023, 08:12 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,897,291 times
Douglass is tame in the am.. tame in general. very low vibrational. 105th has a large hispanic population. simmer down and enjoy

Old 09-06-2023, 08:46 AM

1,067 posts, read 547,990 times
El Museo del Barrio is on the UES not the west, but you could get on the mailing list and check it out. Also not a far walk across the park https://www.elmuseo.org/

Old 09-07-2023, 08:10 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,778,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Douglass is tame in the am.. tame in general. very low vibrational. 105th has a large hispanic population. simmer down and enjoy
^^This. Just take the normal precautions anyone would take and you won’t have live in fear. Subway at 103rd and CPW can be a little lonely late nights, but otherwise it’s not bad. Over the years I’ve seen the area gradually improve. My kid went to school on 107th off of Columbus and we never worried much if he had to stay late or came home in the dark. Plus, being close to Central Park is a big plus you should enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City